Interstellar Teaser

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
The teaser lays down the ambitious scope and the themes of the film. Disliking because of lack of footage is stupid.

After all, its a teaser. It is supposed to give you an idea about the film and generate curiosity. Not to show best moments from film in 2-3 minutes.

Pratham wrote:The teaser lays down the ambitious scope and the themes of the film. Disliking because of lack of footage is stupid.

After all, its a teaser. It is supposed to give you an idea about the film and generate curiosity. Not to show best moments from film in 2-3 minutes.
Not just a lack of footage. There's a lack of story as well. I'm not complaining, but I understand why they are.

Bacon wrote:
Pratham wrote:The teaser lays down the ambitious scope and the themes of the film. Disliking because of lack of footage is stupid.

Not just a lack of footage. There's a lack of story as well. I'm not complaining, but I understand why they are.
It's a teaser for Christ's sake. I'd understand people being pissed by a lack of footage for a trailer.
And honestly by listening to what MM is saying and looking at the footage, you can pretty much understand
that Earth is declining and that they have to go to space to find a solution.
Just to add I haven't read the script.

I think people are complaining because there were no space footage in the teaser or space suits or shuttle or whatever...

Bacon wrote:It's not cause of Nolan haters. It's cause the teaser shows NOTHING of what it's about so many people are (sorta correctly) being suspicious of the fact that the movie's only getting a teaser because of Nolan's name.
I think m4st4 is correct that it's because of the Nolan haters. If you are Leonard Shelby and do not remember having seen any movie before, you will see that trailer and probably give it a big shrug and then move on. You might think to yourself, hmm...that's an interesting question that is being asked (have we lost our pioneering spirit), or you might not be interested. But then you'll move on with your life because it's a minute and a half video.

The only reason you get extremely upset and angry about this video is if you have some sort of vendetta against the people making the video.

I actually think it's a bit of both. Nolan has become a huge name in the movie industry, and the bigger he gets, the more hatred he'll also receive. It's usually how it goes, you can easily notice this on the internet. Plus, a very loud minority was disappointed with The Dark Knight Rises, and they don't let anyone forget that.

But on the other hand, from what I've read on other forums and twitter, people were also just expecting to see more from the teaser. And because it's a Chris Nolan movie, the expectations were high. It's understandable though.

But I wouldn't worry about any of that, it's insignificant. The reactions were still mostly positive, and I'm sure he'll blow everyone's minds with the next trailer.

Innovator wrote:I actually think it's a bit of both. Nolan has become a huge name in the movie industry, and the bigger he gets, the more hatred he'll also receive. It's usually how it goes, you can easily notice this on the internet. Plus, a very loud minority was disappointed with The Dark Knight Rises, and they don't let anyone forget that.
Happens with almost everyone who is popular.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... NowItSucks

I think it's more so that people who are fans of Nolan, or fans of film, are able to project their past viewing experiences of his films onto the teaser and imagine the scope, the depth, and all that awaits them at the theater next year when they got to see it. To a casual film goer, this teaser trailer doesn't show much to go on for them to be excited about. Casual film goers don't pay attention to the art of editing, and telling stories through images or music. They're looking for entertainment. In that regard, the teaser is probably too abstract and vague for them to really be excited by it. It's like being shown a piece of wood from which an artist has only begun to carve out a shape. The person who is familiar with that artist is already projecting their excitement and best case expectations onto the work in progress, while the person who is not familiar with the artist or just has a casual interest in the matter only sees a piece of wood.

Pratham wrote:
Innovator wrote:I actually think it's a bit of both. Nolan has become a huge name in the movie industry, and the bigger he gets, the more hatred he'll also receive. It's usually how it goes, you can easily notice this on the internet. Plus, a very loud minority was disappointed with The Dark Knight Rises, and they don't let anyone forget that.
Happens with almost everyone who is popular.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... NowItSucks
Great article.

The odd thing is, it has a lot of dislikes on the main video, but on other channels it's pretty much proportionate of what you would expect.

Between the people that are upset Nolan didn't make Batman the Animated series the movie, to the Marvel vs DC fanboys, to the TDKR detractors, to the Hipsters. The internet is a very hateful place.

...there's also something called tall poppy syndrome. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome

celibate wrote:I think it's more so that people who are fans of Nolan, or fans of film, are able to project their past viewing experiences of his films onto the teaser and imagine the scope, the depth, and all that awaits them at the theater next year when they got to see it. To a casual film goer, this teaser trailer doesn't show much to go on for them to be excited about. Casual film goers don't pay attention to the art of editing, and telling stories through images or music. They're looking for entertainment. In that regard, the teaser is probably too abstract and vague for them to really be excited by it. It's like being shown a piece of wood from which an artist has only begun to carve out a shape. The person who is familiar with that artist is already projecting their excitement and best case expectations onto the work in progress, while the person who is not familiar with the artist or just has a casual interest in the matter only sees a piece of wood.
Great post man. And welcome to the forum!