Interstellar's Soundtrack

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Cilogy:

This is a fanmade attempt, and a very good one at that, of the docking scene. Unfortunately, we have to wait for Zimmer to release his own version of it, or it will be in the illuminated star projection version coming out next month.

While I mentioned this was a very good version, it's not the same. What Zimmer's version does, is when the additional organ hammer sounds arrive in the second half of the song, the whole musical experience is elevated to another level. Zimmer's organ has more punch and richness to its sound when it comes into play in the second part of the tune, and gives the scene its larger than life quality. While this version gets the notes right - it doesn't do what Zimmer, the professional, did with it - rather than sounding a little duller and subdued, Zimmer's version sounds confident, rich, and dazzling. Don't get me wrong, the fan version gets all the other organ parts right, but it's just this little extra "oooomph" that Zimmer gives the second half.

I don't know if Zimmer got this because he's a great musician also, or he recorded it in the church with the great acoustics...
Last edited by dsus4gtr on November 21st, 2014, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yeah that's sorta what I thought, thanks

Plus, I just forgot that while Zimmer played all the piano parts, Roger Sayer played the organ!

BTW, the way Zimmer plays the piano when they fly by Saturn - the nuance, the touch, the tone, the refinement - is an amazing juxtaposition to how some of the more powerful sections play out. In other words - Zimmer gives us the entire musical range in this soundtrack - it's really special!

dsus4gtr wrote:Plus, I just forgot that while Zimmer played all the piano parts, Roger Sayer played the organ!

BTW, the way Zimmer plays the piano when they fly by Saturn - the nuance, the touch, the tone, the refinement - is an amazing juxtaposition to how some of the more powerful sections play out. In other words - Zimmer gives us the entire musical range in this soundtrack - it's really special!
He didn't play all the piano parts. The solos are him but the more orchestral piano parts, like in Coward, were taken up by a quartet of pianists.

The docking sequence is called "No Time For Caution" and it's now part of the soundtrack on iTunes.

"No Time For Caution" (docking sequence) was finally added to iTunes! :D

I guess even if we have the deluxe one we have to buy it. It appears that the "first" deluxe album was taken off itunes and replaced with this updated one. So if you bought it already it will be "fragmented". going to contact itunes to see if i could sort this out. better than nothing though

thegreypilgrim:

Thanks - good to know.

I guess I was a little off regarding the orchestration of the second half of "No Time For Caution" - it's mainly strings that are hammering away those huge, rich, uplifting chords!!! On second listen, I think I can hear the organ backing them up a bit too. The soundtrack used in the actual movie seemed more organ sounding than strings, but I could be wrong... Either way - it's great either way.

Great stuff!

dsus4gtr wrote:thegreypilgrim:

Thanks - good to know.

I guess I was a little off regarding the orchestration of the second half of "No Time For Caution" - it's mainly strings that are hammering away those huge, rich, uplifting chords!!! On second listen, I think I can hear the organ backing them up a bit too. The soundtrack used in the actual movie seemed more organ sounding than strings, but I could be wrong... Either way - it's great either way.

Great stuff!
It sounds like this is Hans' mock-up of the cue, not the final recording. :lol: Pretty amusing how much drama there is surrounding this cue. This was recorded in London so I can't imagine what would have prevented the release of the live version... I don't think they don't have those goofy choir rules there....

Maybe what's used in the film really is just an edit of several other cues and there isn't a real live version.

Ah, who the hell knows. Frankly I want to hear Hans' whole mocked-up score now.
Last edited by thegreypilgrim on November 21st, 2014, 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.