TDKR Reviews Discussion

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
noland wrote:would anyone mind posting some sort of spoiler-free summaries of the Time and Guardian reviews? it's a minor bummer as of the reviews that have been released so far those were two of the ones i was looking for most but i don't want to read the reviews that are spoiler-heavy and i hear both of those are...

it's sort of a Catch 22 trying to find good movie reviews of a movie you haven't seen yet and don't want to spoil as most really good reviews have to give examples to support their arguments and go into details. i'm sure we'll appreciate some of these spoiler-filled reviews more once we've had a chance to see the movie.
There's a grand total of about two full paragraph in the Time review that don't contain or allude to a spoiler. I'll try to edit out some of the rest.
The Dark Knight Rises, Christopher Nolan’s mesmerizing climax to his trilogy reboot of the DC Comics character, is a show, all right. But not in the way of the standard summer action fantasy. Although his movie contains elaborate fights, stunts, chases and war toys, and though the director dresses half his characters in outfits suitable for a Comic-Con revel, Nolan is a dead-serious artist with a world view many shades darker than the knight of the title. The Avengers is kid stuff compared with this meditation on mortal loss and heroic frailty. For once a melodrama with pulp origins convinces viewers that it can be the modern equivalent to Greek myths or a Jonathan Swift satire. TDKR is that big, that bitter — a film of grand ambitions and epic achievement. The most eagerly anticipated movie of summer 2012 was worth waiting for.

Occasionally the movie’s pulp and fantasy origins expose themselves. More often, though, the movie’s emotional gravity gives special heft to venerable Batman tropes. Batman Begins showed Bruce’s hellish preparation for his defense of Gotham, and The Dark Knight illuminated a skirmish with one charismatic Joker; those movies sounded the alarm for the all-out war movie that is TDKR.

Composer Hans Zimmer’s percussive score underlines the dovetailed themes of battle and death. The first sounds in the film are a heartbeat’s thump-thump-thump that grow ever fainter; and Zimmer proceeds with sounds mimicking gunfire and ticking machinery. The movie’s pace, both solemn and brisk, is a miracle of conveying reams of narrative — a hallmark of the old Hollywood masters, whose storytelling was typically more synoptic and coherent than that of today’s directors. TDKR is old-fashioned in two other ways: it renounces both the 3-D standard for big action pictures (though 72 minutes of the 160-minute movies can be seen in the IMAX format) and the tendency to make every movie digitally. A proud end-credit reads: “This motion picture was shot and finished on film.”

This motion picture also boasts performances whose range and depth match the material. Only Hathaway doesn’t perform as if she’s wearing weight-of-the-world epaulettes; Michelle Pfeiffer’s frosty-furious Selina, in Tim Burton’s 1992 Batman Returns, was closer in tone to TDKR. But Hathaway, for all her ripe smiles, also allows for the ambiguities that transform a poor kid into a Catwoman. And she, like Bale, looks great in black.

Bale, a boyish 30 when he first slipped into the cape and cowl back in 2004, has matured impressively in the role. By the end, the actor has given everything, left every nuance and agony on the table for his big finish. So has his director.

The movie may not top The Avengers at the worldwide box office, but it is [much better] — maybe the best, most troubling, assured and enthralling of all the superhero movies.

I really want to get some insights into Hardy's performance as that is what I'm looking forward to most, but I want to avoid spoilers at all costs. If anyone could compile some non-spoilery comments about Bane, it would be most appreciated.

didich wrote:93% at Rotten Tomatoes after the second negative review.
I can't find the 2nd negative review.

LOL @ the second rotten review. He has guts lols.

apw
EaZze wrote:
didich wrote:93% at Rotten Tomatoes after the second negative review.
The number gets updated before the review is listed. I'm guessing it is the Daily Mail one.

apw wrote:
EaZze wrote:
The number gets updated before the review is listed. I'm guessing it is the Daily Mail one.
Yeah. Probably. Nothing new if it's the case.
Last edited by didich on July 16th, 2012, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

RIFA wrote:http://www.ericdsnider.com/movies/the-d ... ght-rises/

Rotten review and he says he hasn't seen the film. On top of that the review is formed by 2 sentences. REALLY ROTTENTOMATOES?

You'll count that as a legit review?

Sigh.

Average Rating: 5.2/10

WTF IS GOING ON
It says that the real review will be posted. I'm sure it'll be updated then.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

Guys, he's trolling. He even admits he is and that he was just trying to get a rise out of fanboys who are blasting critics for bringing down the RT score when they haven't even seen the movies themselves. It was a douche movie but I still got a chuckle out of it because some people can go overboard when a critic has a conflicting view point to their own.
Last edited by RollTide1987 on July 16th, 2012, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.