TDKR Box Office

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
m4st4 wrote:
Maroti wrote:
Same here in Denmark :(
Will avoid reading any TDKR news/reviews between the july 20th and 26th.
Hello my friends, Croatia is with you. :cry:
I think Portugal takes the cake: August 2nd... I still have to understand the reason behind this delay. Usually, when it comes to Summer blockbusters, we're a week behind the US release date but 2 weeks? It's too much!

Thank God I'll be back in the UK just in time for the opening weekend!

UltraDangerLord wrote:
RabidBEBOP wrote: there's 3139 members. some would probably be inactive though.

3139 members x $12 (conventional theaters) = $37,668.
$37,668 x 3 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) = $113,004.

3139 members x $9.50 (some theaters cost less) = $29,820
$29,820 x 3 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) = $89,461

Now lets use TDK's opening weekend (158.4 million)
$158,411,483 + $113,004 = $159,541,187
or
$158,411,483 + $89,461 = $158,500,944

Now add that with the REST of the general audience not part of Nolanfans watching this, and I didn't even count the IMAX ticket prices. This can beat Avengers guys.

That's only conventional theaters. Assuming that some of you guys watch it in IMAX, you guys would contribute a whole lot more to the opening weekend. That's IF everyone in this forum goes on the opening weekend.
Sir, I salute you. :goNF:

My Prediction: TDKR will earn around 170mil opening weekend, clinching the second biggest weekend in the U.S. (beating Avengers simply will not happen)

However, I think TDKR will come close in both domestic and global gross with Avengers in the end. Neither party will surpass the other by a large margin.

I don't understand why so many people will be "sad" when TDKR doesn't get the record for it's OW. Sure, it would be cool for Nolan's film to earn that record again, but in the end, it all has a near-zero effect on us common folk.

UltraDangerLord wrote:
RabidBEBOP wrote: there's 3139 members. some would probably be inactive though.

or

Now add that with the REST of the general audience not part of Nolanfans watching this, and I didn't even count the IMAX ticket prices. This can beat Avengers guys.

That's only conventional theaters. Assuming that some of you guys watch it in IMAX, you guys would contribute a whole lot more to the opening weekend. That's IF everyone in this forum goes on the opening weekend.
there are 3139 indeed, but they are from all over the world. ticket prices may vary. for example in my country it's maybe 7$

PointForge wrote:My Prediction: TDKR will earn around 170mil opening weekend, clinching the second biggest weekend in the U.S. (beating Avengers simply will not happen)

However, I think TDKR will come close in both domestic and global gross with Avengers in the end. Neither party will surpass the other by a large margin.

I don't understand why so many people will be "sad" when TDKR doesn't get the record for it's OW. Sure, it would be cool for Nolan's film to earn that record again, but in the end, it all has a near-zero effect on us common folk.
Because Nolan deserves these records, mindless Avengers action getting the best of the OW isn't going to cut it. We need to show people what real film is, and it would be nice for us to get the OW record anyways, since it's nice to look at TDKR at the top of the list. Avengers is an amazing popcorn flick, but won't get to scratch TDKR any bit.

JohnConstantine wrote:
UltraDangerLord wrote:

or

there are 3139 indeed, but they are from all over the world. ticket prices may vary. for example in my country it's maybe 7$
It'd still be a pretty big contribution if everyone in Nolanfans watched it on the same weekend. But some people also get a July 26 release date, which is lame...

UltraDangerLord wrote:
PointForge wrote:My Prediction: TDKR will earn around 170mil opening weekend, clinching the second biggest weekend in the U.S. (beating Avengers simply will not happen)

Because Nolan deserves these records, mindless Avengers action getting the best of the OW isn't going to cut it. We need to show people what real film is, and it would be nice for us to get the OW record anyways, since it's nice to look at TDKR at the top of the list. Avengers is an amazing popcorn flick, but won't get to scratch TDKR any bit.
The fact that you referred to all of the action in Avengers as "mindless"makes me believe that you haven't actually even seen the film. Also, it would take a HUGE marketing effort to give TDKR an OW bigger than that of Avengers. TDKR may be the dramatic end of a trilogy, but Avengers has been built up to with 5 films, gathering fans of 4 different superheros to see a casual movie with terrific WOM. Avengers also appeals to a much younger demographic, and won't be as adult oriented as TDKR probably will be (parents will also be on the look out after the brutality in TDK, despite the rating). Finally, Avengers has the IMAX 3D sales boost- I paid 17 bucks when I saw Avengers, and TDKR's 2D Imax won't cost that much.

All this has me convinced that it would take a miracle for TDKR to pull away Avenger's records. Sorry Batman

The Dark Knight Rises still has the potential to beat it worldwide or at least get close, and here's why. Nolan's movies have fantastic legs, he has from July 20th to early September to make its box office mostly unchallenged. Avengers doesn't have as long and has more pictures coming out that are potential threats, and the legs may die down sooner than later because of the repetitive nature of the film. There isn't a depth or story there to generate tons of repeat viewings, unlike The Dark Knight/Inception/Rises did or will.

They still have almost two months to market the picture, and at this point I'm sure WB is considering throwing another 50 to 100 million at the marketing to make this movie everywhere around the world. It's a lot more possible than some of you might think, though it isn't close to being definite.

Regardless, it's very likely to be close between the two, and that along with the likelihood of widespread critical acclaim, I think everybody's going to be happy on all sides.

-Vader

Skyab23 wrote:didn't predict Avengers would make $200 million, but did say that it would likely beat TDKR's opening weekend because it appeals to a broader range of viewers. Think of all the children and parents that went to see Avengers. That audience isn't there for TDKR....6-10 year olds aren't going to be begging mom to go see TDKR as compared to the Avengers.

I figure TDKR MIGHT can get to $180 million, and of course I am rooting for it to beat Avengers. But let's be realistic here and acknowledge that most of the general audience doesn't know who Bane is, and hasn't been enthused by the trailers. Not one clap for the trailer when I went to the theatre this weekend.
You really didn't just write this crap did you? The general audience doesn't know who Bane is? The general audience doesn't care. All they know is Batman and how much they've enjoyed the series so far and in particular TDK. And I'm so tired of people mentioning whether audiences clapped during a trailer. No one clapped when the Avengers trailer was shown and that didn't hurt it's performance. I can't recall even seeing an audience clap during a trailer. EVER! What is this nonsense about anticipating the audience clapping before, during, or after a trailer. It doesn't happen and on the RARE occasion it does don't expect it to happen because you fell it should happen for TDKR.

I had Avengers at $185 before, so a little surprised but not really. Still sticking with my TDKR predictions:

DKR:

47-50 million midnight showings
100 million+ opening day(including midnight)
70 million Saturday
50-55 million Sunday

$220 million OW+

It's summer, no school, no finals and most of all it's freakin BATMAN. The same crowd that saw Avengers will see TDKR and those museums rotting with legit IMAX's will be put to good use. Screens isn't a problem TDKR will probably open to a record breaking screen release. Back in 08 tickets were in the $8-11 range. Nowadays the digital theaters(pretty much all theaters are digital now) are $12. Ton's of LIEMAX's around and new ETX theaters so price range will fluctuate.