TDKR Box Office

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Barrett wrote:
Skyab23 wrote: Not one clap for the trailer when I went to the theatre this weekend.
Just sayin'

I saw Avengers last night. When the TDKR trailer ended, some kids kept saying "we need to be there!".

sanford wrote:
UltraDangerLord wrote:
Because Nolan deserves these records, mindless Avengers action getting the best of the OW isn't going to cut it. We need to show people what real film is, and it would be nice for us to get the OW record anyways, since it's nice to look at TDKR at the top of the list. Avengers is an amazing popcorn flick, but won't get to scratch TDKR any bit.
What is "real film" and why do you get to decide what it is? Isn't "quality" really subjective anyways? Isn't that for the general public to decide? The Avengers is silly, yes, but it's very good escapism for the common moviegoer who just wants to forget about the real world for a couple of hours. Isn't that what movies are supposed to be?

Avengers was good, yes. But it isn't "quality" enough to be compared with TDKR, Nolan sets audience with high standards. It will deleiver, and it deserves to be on top.

UltraDangerLord wrote:
sanford wrote:
What is "real film" and why do you get to decide what it is? Isn't "quality" really subjective anyways? Isn't that for the general public to decide? The Avengers is silly, yes, but it's very good escapism for the common moviegoer who just wants to forget about the real world for a couple of hours. Isn't that what movies are supposed to be?

Avengers was good, yes. But it isn't "quality" enough to be compared with TDKR, Nolan sets audience with high standards. It will deleiver, and it deserves to be on top.
Again, quality of art, such as movies, is subjective. It all depends on the person viewing it. Not everyone agrees with everyone else. But it honestly doesn't make one movie "better" than another. Why does one film "deserve" to make more money than another? That doesn't make any sense at all.

In the end, art is subjective, which is why organizations such as the Academy can often get in "trouble" with audiences, because the Oscars are basically collective opinions of a niche group of top Hollywood players. Everyone has different opinions, and one shouldn't be held higher than another when it comes to things such as entertainment. Whatever is the most popular just happens to be the most popular, and there's nothing we can do about it.

I still wouldn't put TDKR out of the reach of The Avengers openine weekend record. It is the most talked about movie I've ever heard of from people aorund me, when I was at the mall today a cute girl I didn't know asked someone that was helping me when TDKR was coming out.

I know it probably doesn't mean much, but I have to doubt that there are a ton of other places like where I live that have people highly anticipating the film

Still though, $200 million for The Avengers :wtf:

Barrett wrote:
Skyab23 wrote: Not one clap for the trailer when I went to the theatre this weekend.
Just sayin'

Actually, it had the opposite effect when I saw it. The audience talked through all the other trailers. TDKR was the only trailer that completely shut everyone up.

Just came back from taking my two nephews and my niece to see The Avengers at my nearest LIEMAX theater, the lines where absolutely ridiculous, anyways; fun movie, at the end, when we were leaving, I asked my nephew if he liked the movie and he said "yes, it was a lot of fun!", he is 12 years old; then my niece asked me: "Uncle, what's the best movie you ever saw?" and I answered "The Dark Knight" and my 12 years old nephew gave me five and told me: "my man!" "You're taking us to watch TDKR right uncle? right, please!!?" and I said: "of course son, wouldn't miss it for the world"...

willyjoel wrote:Just came back from taking my two nephews and my niece to see The Avengers at my nearest LIEMAX theater, the lines where absolutely ridiculous, anyways; fun movie, at the end, when we were leaving, I asked my nephew if he liked the movie and he said "yes, it was a lot of fun!", he is 12 years old; then my niece asked me: "Uncle, what's the best movie you ever saw?" and I answered "The Dark Knight" and my 12 years old nephew gave me five and told me: "my man!" "You're taking us to watch TDKR right uncle? right, please!!?" and I said: "of course son, wouldn't miss it for the world"...
My man!
Sigs???

EnzoTheBaker wrote:
Barrett wrote:
Just sayin'

Actually, it had the opposite effect when I saw it. The audience talked through all the other trailers. TDKR was the only trailer that completely shut everyone up.
That's what I'm saying. At the theater I saw it at people got quiet when the TDKR trailer came on. It was like when the teacher comes into class when all the students are talking, goofing off and then here comes the teacher and everyone shuts up and the teacher has everyone's attention. That was how it was with the TDKR. Everybody just stopped what they were doing or saying and look at the screen. It was awesome.

That pretty much means 95% of people who saw The Avengas are seeing DKR. Well played WB.
Sigs???

I really don't like how articles about the Avengers breaking box office records relate to TDKR. I loved the Avengers, but it got a lot of its money from the showings in 3D and IMAX 3D. TDKR has no 3D and is only in regular IMAX so it would be astonishing when it breaks the Avengers record. Remember TDK was the same way. No 3D, ticket prices were lower and IMAX was scarce. TDKR will show that you can make $$$ without 3D.