TDKR Box Office

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Aranion wrote:I have a very hard time believing TDKR is going to beat this opening weekend. I also don't care.

I saw AVENGERS Saturday night. Enjoyed it immensely - probably the best action I've seen in a comic-based film, and tons of great laugh-out-loud moments. The effects were sharp, and acting was strong, and it as a thrill-ride. I also found it thematically empty or thin. Seeing the TKDR trailer in front of it only emphasized the richness of Nolan's stories, compared to the Marvel films. The Marvel films have been fun, and a couple of them I really, really dug (IRON MAN, CAPTAIN AMERICA). But none of them have come close to the depth of Nolan's Batfilms, in terms of underlying themes, ideas explored, and weight.

And that's really OK; not every film needs to be a serious exploration of ideas. Fun movies are...well, fun, and I'm glad we have them. But as fun as AVENGERS is, I really prefer Nolan's approach.
+1,000,000 and 1.

I agree with the "I don't care about the opening week record" approach, specially after reading that Forbes articule where it says that in 2008 TDK sold about 22 million tickets, and TDKR will need to sell 30+ million tickes in order to match The Avengers, and all that because of 3D and parents taking their little kids. TDKR is not for kids, like The Avengers, and THANK GOD IS NOT FOR KIDS!! THANK YOU NOLAN!!.

And yes, The Avengers is a highly enjoyjable, funny kids superhero movie, my nephews little brains where blown away, reminded me the way I reacted when I saw Empire Strikes Back for the first time, but that movie (the Avengers) was made for them: 12 year old kids. The Dark Knight Rises? that's a completely different beast.

As long as we get to experience a wonderful masterpiece, which we will get, the $$$ is not important to me.

willyjoel wrote:I agree with the "I don't care about the opening week record" approach, specially after reading that Forbes articule where it says that in 2008 TDK sold about 22 million tickets, and TDKR will need to sell 30+ million tickes in order to match The Avengers, and all that because of 3D and parents taking their little kids. TDKR is not for kids, like The Avengers, and THANK GOD IS NOT FOR KIDS!! THANK YOU NOLAN!!.

And yes, The Avengers is a highly enjoyjable, funny kids superhero movie, my nephews little brains where blown away, reminded me the way I reacted when I saw Empire Strikes Back for the first time, but that movie (the Avengers) was made for them: 12 year old kids. The Dark Knight Rises? that's a completely different beast.

As long as we get to experience a wonderful masterpiece, which we will get, the $$$ is not important to me.
I was thinking about that yesterday. All I want is for the film to satisfy and amaze me. I don't care if Im the only one who buys a ticket. I will be rewarded with the movie of the year.

But, for real I think it will still make a shit ton of $$$. They should see what Avengers made without 3D and IMAX 3D

I always never worried about box office when it came to Batman. I mean, the inherent nature of Batman and his stories should not, in theory, even correlate with big box office if you really think about it. Batman, in essence, is dark, rooted in reality -- his stories are gritty and violent and tend to appeal to a more adult audience. I never, in my wildest dreams, imagined The Dark Knight would make as much money as it did. I don't worry about money and popularity so much. I take solace in knowing the story and the film will be superlative; more Oscar talk than money talk.

Not sure if this means anything, but the IMDb Moviemeter puts TDKR @ #3, and the film isn't even out for 2+ months:

Dragon_316ca wrote:Not sure if this means anything, but the IMDb Moviemeter puts TDKR @ #3, and the film isn't even out for 2+ months:
Trailer #3 truly does wonders...

Obviously The Avengers have set the bar pretty damn high, but it's very possible that TDKR can raise it even further. A $200 - 210 million opening weekend isn't out of the question here, even without 3D.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

If we don't make as much money as The Avengers. We'll sure as hell win more awards than The Avengers! :batman:

Not to be mean or anything, but if I had to use a word to describe how a lot of people on these forums are reacting to The Avengers' success, that word would be "butthurt". You make things sound like anything nonNolan this year is worthy of going to war with. I really don't get it.