TDKR General Information

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Watched this again last night. This movie is incredible.

Oku
Hearing the music stop and then seeing this:

on a giant IMAX screen is something one never forgets.

okungnyo wrote:Hearing the music stop and then seeing this:

That whole fight sequence was fabulous, from the choreography, to the lighting, to the sound, to the effective lack of score behind it, the dramatic set with the tons of flowing water, etc.

How do you guys feel about the complaints that there wasn't enough shown of the ordinary citizens or Bane's occupation?

Another common one I see is that John Blake is a Gary Stu.

Can't say I agree but those seem to be the usual points of Reddit hatred other than the "plot holez" complaints.

He Was The Batman wrote:How do you guys feel about the complaints that there wasn't enough shown of the ordinary citizens or Bane's occupation?

Another common one I see is that John Blake is a Gary Stu.

Can't say I agree but those seem to be the usual points of Reddit hatred other than the "plot holez" complaints.
The first one I agree with. The film could have been a bit longer and highlighted the "faux-revolution" aspect better. It's my biggest complaint and in terms of the major ones, it's the only one. Ultimately I'm quite content because in an already epic movie, we got a couple of glimpses into what's going on (the prisoners and the poor are taking over homes/the streets are empty/policemen are hunted down, etc) but it definitely wouldn't hurt to flesh it out even more. Maybe have Bruce come back earlier and him trying to find the trigger, stopping different crimes, etc.

The second one, I don't see it at all. First of all, because he really doesn't do much throughout the film. He's not a deus ex machina, he doesn't save the day, etc. Second of all, any potential combat prowess can easily be exlained by his law enforcement training. Finally, if the complaint is that Blake is too incompetent to be the next Batman, we don't really know what happens after he finds the cave. Perhaps Bruce is going to train him for a bit.

If I'd point my fingers at any character in the movie being over-powered, it'd be Catwoman as Mary Sue, since she fights with Bruce basically as equals without any explanation into how she can handle herself this good agiasnt Bane's mercenaries, and she can drive the batpod like a pro without any training as well.

Baniac wrote:
okungnyo wrote:Hearing the music stop and then seeing this:

That whole fight sequence was fabulous, from the choreography, to the lighting, to the sound, to the effective lack of score behind it, the dramatic set with the tons of flowing water, etc.
Agreed. I had to search this scene on youtube when I saw that frame. I ran across this neat video from Legendary.

From Script to Screen: Batman vs Bane First Fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojQp0Qs ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by Jarrett on September 7th, 2017, 11:11 am, edited 5 times in total.

I've said it before about Interstellar, but I noticed on a rewatch of TDKR, there are a few scenes in which the IMAX camera can be heard - specifically those shot in IMAX with dialogue. Just goes to show how much Nolan hates ADR

lol where

Well for instance, the scene where Gordon-Levitt is loading the kids onto the bus whilst on the bridge and the old guy says 'There's nowhere to go, it's an atom bomb' (not audible throughout the whole scene). What's interesting about this scene however, is that Nolan shot it in IMAX (as you can tell by the camera noise and the noticeable difference in quality), however in the film we get this particular shot cropped to the 2.35:1 aspect ratio with the remainder of the bridge scene shots in the IMAX aspect ratio (presumably to make the shift in aspect ratios less noticeable). The noise that can be heard is almost identical to what can be heard in a select few scenes of Interstellar and is very similar to the sound of a 1570 projector running. With all this said, I like that it's been left in there, either on purpose or by accident, because it reminds us of the challenges of shooting in such a large format.

Baniac wrote:That whole fight sequence was fabulous, from the choreography, to the lighting, to the sound, to the effective lack of score behind it, the dramatic set with the tons of flowing water, etc.
I don't think the lack of score is good at all. If I had the editing software I would compare it with and without music. If the scene had music, I doubt anyone would ever think "this would be more effective without music. It almost feels pretentious how there's no music or at least how some people heap praise on the lack of music.