The Political, Social, & Economic Aspects of TDKR's Story

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
For those who aren't aware, the plot that we've both theorized and with other parts confirmed, showcase a very political story:
Bane rally's up the people of Gotham to rebel against the wealthy. Using his doomsday device, he takes control over Gotham, and acts pretty much as the leader of the city. He separates the upper class from the lower class and sends the wealthy out of Gotham, leaving the poor and the criminals to fight over Gotham in an all out war zone.
We've discussed the economic and social factor of this plot, but what I wanted to focus on is Bane, his role, his rise to power, and his level of dominance over the city from a political perspective. Do you think that Nolan was perhaps inspired by Fascist, Totalitarian, and Dictatorship leaders to write Bane's new character? With what we know, I'm already getting a very Hitler and Stalin vibe, with the fact that Bane is deliberately isolating certain citizens, and even all out destroying others.

This will be the first Super Hero movie that I can recall who's villain is a leader type figure, as opposed to just a villain with a large group of followers. Bane will pretty much dominate the entire city in this film, and I'm interested to see the political sides of his plan and his character.
Last edited by MiracleSleeper on January 11th, 2012, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think this has another thread, but if it doesn't...

The film is actually dangerously political. The 99 percent of a city rising against the fat-cats? Totally not an allegory for us...

FilmmakerRising wrote:
The film is actually dangerously political. The 99 percent of a city rising against the fat-cats? Totally not an allegory for us...
Yeah, this movie may cause a lot of controversy. What saved TDK was that it was released 7 years after 9/11, but if it had came out that year, the whole terrorist aspect of the film would have really stirred up a lot of reactions from audiences.

This thread will be great once that Entertainment Weekly article is released about TDKR. The preview states..
Nolan also discusses the potential political subtext of Rises
So it's definitely true that there's a lot going on underneath the surface of this story.
Last edited by MiracleSleeper on January 11th, 2012, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FilmmakerRising wrote:I think this has another thread, but if it doesn't...

Yeah, I can totally see this being brought up in future reviews.

*sees a moderator is on here* *continues convo*

Did BB have any political symbolism?

FilmmakerRising wrote:*sees a moderator is on here* *continues convo*

Did BB have any political symbolism?
More economic than political. The whole conflict that Gotham has been in a depression since the days of Bruce's parents.

**edited OP to include economic and social discussions as well, since I was referring to them as well originally**

Fear
Escalation
Rebellion?

What if that prison where Bruce is locked, was made for the leaders and rich of Gotham, and they all have been arrested there, while Bane is destroying Gotham? Without the leaders(politicians and police chiefs), that would be a chaos in town...

Tugatrix wrote:What if that prison where Bruce is locked, was made for the leaders and rich of Gotham, and they all have been arrested there, while Bane is destroying Gotham? Without the leaders(politicians and police chiefs), that would be a chaos in town...
That's actually a popular theory. The only thing that makes me question this theory is why the hell the national government isn't intervening at this point? If New York City was to be taken over by some lunatic, we'd have the entire USA sending military there.

My only guess is Bane's doomsday device. I'm assuming he's pretty much holding the city hostage with it. He probably tells the nation that if the military interferes, he'll activate the bomb and destroy the entire city. That's the only way I can see the scenario of one man taking over an entire city actually making sense.

Well i believe it's because of the doom's day device, made by dr.Pavel. But also because, it took many days until help from US government arrive to the survivors of Katrina.