Empire Magazine cover and feature - out Nov. 24

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Nolan4Life wrote:
Beetles wrote:
:tooexcited:
I just fucking died.
You can't die now! You have to wait at least til July 2012!

Beetles wrote:
In terms of finishing our story and increasing its scope, we were trying to craft an epic...

- Christopher Nolan
The jizzing continues :tooexcited:

Beetles wrote:Posting here too in case anyone misses it:
From Drew McWeeney of HitFix
Our first best look at what he's got up his sleeve will be the six-minute prologue sequence in IMAX that is playing exclusively in front of the 70MM IMAX engagements of "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol." The people who I've talked to who have seen the six-minute segment just smile at the mention of it, and I've been told to expect something on a much larger scale than the opening bank robbery from "The Dark Knight" which played in front of the IMAX prints of "I Am Legend." That's going to be the moment where we really get a sense of what tone to expect from this one, and I'm willing to bet it's going to be very different than either of the first two films.
As if I couldn't be any more psyched today.
Thanks so much :twothumbsup:

Another thanks for posting the pics.

The images alone are amazing - the one of Bane with folded arms, Batman stepping over fallen mercs - just wow. They completely amp up my anticipation.

And that bit about the eight year gap - would've NEVER expected something like that. I assumed we'd be doing something like the gap between BB and TDK - 6 months, maybe a year. And as someone above posted - it's obvious so much we know NOTHING about was shot on soundstages.

July 20, 2012, you can't get here soon enough.

Beetles wrote:
In terms of finishing our story and increasing its scope, we were trying to craft an epic...

- Christopher Nolan
OMG THANKS AGAIN :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup:

I seriously can't take this anymore.

"What our IMAX prologue is aiming at showing is that Bane's a very different kind of villain than Batman has faced before in our films," Nolan continues, "He's a great sort of movie monster, but with an incredible brain, and that was a side of him that hadn't been tapped before. Because the stories from the comics are very epic and very evocative - very much in the way that Bruce Wayne's origin story is epic and evocative. We were looking to really parallel that with our choice of villain. So he is a worthy adversary."

To think this is only the beginning of the hype machine....

Oh god I won't be able to take it.

nowseed wrote:
"It's really all about finishing Batman and Bruce Wayne's story. We left him in a very precarious place. Perhaps surprisingly for some people, our story picks up quite a bit later, eight years after The Dark Knight. So he's an older Bruce Wayne; he's not in a great state.

"With Bane, we're looking to give Batman a challenge he hasn't had before. With our choice of villain and with our choice of story we're testing Batman both physically as well as mentally."

Speaking of physical challenges, what can Tom Hardy tell us about Bane? "He's brutal. Brutal. He's a big dude who's incredibly clinical, in the fact that he has a result-based and oriented fighting style. It's not about fighting. It's about carnage. The style is heavy-handed, heavy-footed, it's nasty. Anything from small-joint manipulation to crushing skulls, crushing rib cages, stamping on shins and knees and necks and collarbones and snapping heads off and tearing his fists through chests, ripping out spinal columns. He is a terrorist in mentality as well as brutal action."
Thank you!

On why Riddler wasn't considered:
Between Nolan and Goer's decision to cast Bane in the prime antagonist role and its announcement, the rumour mill ground out talk of The Riddler. But Nolan insists that, after Heath Ledger's Joker, The Riddler was never a contender.

"The world of Batman, indeed the world of all graphic novels, deals with archetypes," he says, "And there's a very real sense in which The Joker is an extreme and an absolute and Batman is an extreme and an absolute. So whe you're looking to continue the story - in this case finish Bruce Wayne and Batman's story, as we see it - then you certainly don't want a watered-down version of a character you've already done. You want a different archetype. What Bane represents in the comics is the ultimate physical villain."

Loving these snippets. I hope I get my copy tonight.