Nolan to "Godfather" next Superman

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Posts: 16
Joined: February 2010
apw wrote:But as just a 'consultant' his name will be barely mentioned in promotional material.

From consultant Christopher Nolan

Nope. Can't remember the last time I saw that in a trailer.
No, but I've seen lots of "Steven Spielberg presents" on movies such as Gremlins and The Goonies, which were directed by Joe Dante and Richard Donner, respectively.

Posts: 225
Joined: August 2009
M.Engel wrote:
apw wrote:But as just a 'consultant' his name will be barely mentioned in promotional material.

From consultant Christopher Nolan

Nope. Can't remember the last time I saw that in a trailer.
No, but I've seen lots of "Steven Spielberg presents" on movies such as Gremlins and The Goonies, which were directed by Joe Dante and Richard Donner, respectively.
Did Spielberg consult for those movies?

I just looked it up. Spielberg is listed as a Producer for both those movies, an Exec. Producer (which I've heard is purely a titular title) for Gremlins. Spielberg is also listed as the "Second Unit Director (Uncredited)" for The Goonies on Wikipedia.

Posts: 16
Joined: February 2010
That1 wrote:
Did Spielberg consult for those movies?

I just looked it up. Spielberg is listed as a Producer for both those movies, an Exec. Producer (which I've heard is purely a titular title) for Gremlins. Spielberg is also listed as the "Second Unit Director (Uncredited)" for The Goonies on Wikipedia.
Well, he's had input on the movie, and it was him choosing Joe Dante as director anyway. What I wanted to say is that we don't know Chris Nolan's exact "role" on the Superman movie. All we know is that Warners asked him to consult on the project, which could easily get him an "executive producer" or "Christopher Nolan presents" credit on the movie.

Similar to Spielberg mentoring the directors on the movie's I've already quoted, Robert Zemeckis mentoring Peter Jackson on The Frighteners and Peter Jackson mentoring Neil Blomkamp on District 9. We'll see how much he'll be involved in this. Who knows...

apw
Posts: 2466
Joined: June 2009
Location: UK
But were they acting as a producer before anything else?

Peter Jackson may have mentored but he probably already the producer of the movie.

Posts: 225
Joined: August 2009
M.Engel wrote:
That1 wrote:
Did Spielberg consult for those movies?

I just looked it up. Spielberg is listed as a Producer for both those movies, an Exec. Producer (which I've heard is purely a titular title) for Gremlins. Spielberg is also listed as the "Second Unit Director (Uncredited)" for The Goonies on Wikipedia.
Well, he's had input on the movie, and it was him choosing Joe Dante as director anyway. What I wanted to say is that we don't know Chris Nolan's exact "role" on the Superman movie. All we know is that Warners asked him to consult on the project, which could easily get him an "executive producer" or "Christopher Nolan presents" credit on the movie.

Similar to Spielberg mentoring the directors on the movie's I've already quoted, Robert Zemeckis mentoring Peter Jackson on The Frighteners and Peter Jackson mentoring Neil Blomkamp on District 9. We'll see how much he'll be involved in this. Who knows...
Oh I see what you're saying.
apw wrote:But were they acting as a producer before anything else?

Peter Jackson may have mentored but he probably already the producer of the movie.
Ya, I think Blomkamp and Jackson were attached to the Halo movie first and once that fell apart, Jackson said he wanted to give Blomkamp a chance at a feature film.

User avatar
Posts: 3710
Joined: August 2009
Location: a galaxy far far away
I just looked it up. Spielberg is listed as a Producer for both those movies, an Exec. Producer (which I've heard is purely a titular title) for Gremlins. Spielberg is also listed as the "Second Unit Director (Uncredited)" for The Goonies on Wikipedia.
The Exec. Producer is not a "purely a titular title". In most of the cases is who impulse the proyect or who have the original idea for it. But don't get involve after that.
This should be the original "function" of the exec. producer. But this would change.

Posts: 225
Joined: August 2009
natalie wrote:
I just looked it up. Spielberg is listed as a Producer for both those movies, an Exec. Producer (which I've heard is purely a titular title) for Gremlins. Spielberg is also listed as the "Second Unit Director (Uncredited)" for The Goonies on Wikipedia.
The Exec. Producer is not a "purely a titular title". In most of the cases is who impulse the proyect or who have the original idea for it. But don't get involve after that.
This should be the original "function" of the exec. producer. But this would change.
Hmm...interesting. So an Exec. Producer title for Nolan isn't really far fetched then :think:

User avatar
Posts: 2281
Joined: July 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
That1 wrote: Hmm...interesting. So an Exec. Producer title for Nolan isn't really far fetched then :think:
It depends. The studio might want to put a trusted filmmaker (such as Nolan) in the position to oversee everything. Or they might just get someone else. I doubt Nolan's role will be anything more than a consultant.

Posts: 41
Joined: December 2009
Location: Reno
Eternalist wrote:
That1 wrote: Hmm...interesting. So an Exec. Producer title for Nolan isn't really far fetched then :think:
It depends. The studio might want to put a trusted filmmaker (such as Nolan) in the position to oversee everything. Or they might just get someone else. I doubt Nolan's role will be anything more than a consultant.
I'm willing to bet he handpicks the next director and leaves it alone after that.

User avatar
Posts: 2281
Joined: July 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
I'm not even sure he'd aid in choosing a director. More like giving suggestions. I think that at most he's going to sit in on one or two meetings, possibly get his credit and go to work on Batman 3 (hopefully).

Post Reply