Nolan to "Godfather" next Superman

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
apw wrote:But as just a 'consultant' his name will be barely mentioned in promotional material.

From consultant Christopher Nolan

Nope. Can't remember the last time I saw that in a trailer.
No, but I've seen lots of "Steven Spielberg presents" on movies such as Gremlins and The Goonies, which were directed by Joe Dante and Richard Donner, respectively.

M.Engel wrote:
apw wrote:But as just a 'consultant' his name will be barely mentioned in promotional material.

From consultant Christopher Nolan

Nope. Can't remember the last time I saw that in a trailer.
No, but I've seen lots of "Steven Spielberg presents" on movies such as Gremlins and The Goonies, which were directed by Joe Dante and Richard Donner, respectively.
Did Spielberg consult for those movies?

I just looked it up. Spielberg is listed as a Producer for both those movies, an Exec. Producer (which I've heard is purely a titular title) for Gremlins. Spielberg is also listed as the "Second Unit Director (Uncredited)" for The Goonies on Wikipedia.

That1 wrote:

I just looked it up. Spielberg is listed as a Producer for both those movies, an Exec. Producer (which I've heard is purely a titular title) for Gremlins. Spielberg is also listed as the "Second Unit Director (Uncredited)" for The Goonies on Wikipedia.
Well, he's had input on the movie, and it was him choosing Joe Dante as director anyway. What I wanted to say is that we don't know Chris Nolan's exact "role" on the Superman movie. All we know is that Warners asked him to consult on the project, which could easily get him an "executive producer" or "Christopher Nolan presents" credit on the movie.

Similar to Spielberg mentoring the directors on the movie's I've already quoted, Robert Zemeckis mentoring Peter Jackson on The Frighteners and Peter Jackson mentoring Neil Blomkamp on District 9. We'll see how much he'll be involved in this. Who knows...

apw
But were they acting as a producer before anything else?

Peter Jackson may have mentored but he probably already the producer of the movie.

M.Engel wrote:
That1 wrote:

Well, he's had input on the movie, and it was him choosing Joe Dante as director anyway. What I wanted to say is that we don't know Chris Nolan's exact "role" on the Superman movie. All we know is that Warners asked him to consult on the project, which could easily get him an "executive producer" or "Christopher Nolan presents" credit on the movie.

Similar to Spielberg mentoring the directors on the movie's I've already quoted, Robert Zemeckis mentoring Peter Jackson on The Frighteners and Peter Jackson mentoring Neil Blomkamp on District 9. We'll see how much he'll be involved in this. Who knows...
Oh I see what you're saying.
apw wrote:But were they acting as a producer before anything else?

Peter Jackson may have mentored but he probably already the producer of the movie.
Ya, I think Blomkamp and Jackson were attached to the Halo movie first and once that fell apart, Jackson said he wanted to give Blomkamp a chance at a feature film.

The Exec. Producer is not a "purely a titular title". In most of the cases is who impulse the proyect or who have the original idea for it. But don't get involve after that.
This should be the original "function" of the exec. producer. But this would change.

natalie wrote:
The Exec. Producer is not a "purely a titular title". In most of the cases is who impulse the proyect or who have the original idea for it. But don't get involve after that.
This should be the original "function" of the exec. producer. But this would change.
Hmm...interesting. So an Exec. Producer title for Nolan isn't really far fetched then :think:

That1 wrote: Hmm...interesting. So an Exec. Producer title for Nolan isn't really far fetched then :think:
It depends. The studio might want to put a trusted filmmaker (such as Nolan) in the position to oversee everything. Or they might just get someone else. I doubt Nolan's role will be anything more than a consultant.

Eternalist wrote:
That1 wrote: Hmm...interesting. So an Exec. Producer title for Nolan isn't really far fetched then :think:
It depends. The studio might want to put a trusted filmmaker (such as Nolan) in the position to oversee everything. Or they might just get someone else. I doubt Nolan's role will be anything more than a consultant.
I'm willing to bet he handpicks the next director and leaves it alone after that.

I'm not even sure he'd aid in choosing a director. More like giving suggestions. I think that at most he's going to sit in on one or two meetings, possibly get his credit and go to work on Batman 3 (hopefully).