[SPOILERS] TDKR Theatrical Trailer

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Z. Cobb wrote:That parallels with the Gordon quote "We were in this together, then you were gone"
Exactly. So while Bruce is exiled, time passes in Gotham without Batman and during that time Gordon is injured. That feels like what should be the 8 year jump...

The issue here is that we see in the trailer more or less three different Bruce Waynes: Bruce with a limp in "peace time", bruce without a limp fighting Bane/jumping hospital windows, and greying Bruce without a limp. None of this fits with what we know :|.

So there has to be a break in what we know somewhere. Here's my guess: The movie will mainly take place 8 years after TDK, but with flashbacks, at least in the opening, to a point sometime in the past (a year before?), like how the beginning of BB flashed back to Bruce as a college student. Bruce has a limp here, maybe due to some unrelated injury. Here's where Selina Kyle warns him, etc.

A year later, the main story takes place. Bruce is now cane-less, but the city's been overrun by Bane, etc. So he must rise and defeat Bane. Without a limp.

Then again.... That doesn't make a whole lot of sense either :suicide:

can someone please explain to me the lines Alfred says in the beginning of the trailer. In what way has he let Bruce down? He certainly can't be expected to protect him from a mercenary like Bane.

George wrote:
mchekhov wrote:

he doesnt seem to be limping in the temple scene

i guess we have to assume he gets some kind of mystic healing

See what makes sense to me is that there are two time jumps happening. There's one from TDK to TDKR, and then another within TDKR while Bruce is exiled. That way it would make sense for him to heal from Bane's beating and for Gotham to fall apart.

yeah looks like it

this would give them time to quickly show how much worse gotham eventually gets under this regime....we were told by NY extras that the cops have been forced into hiding for a very long time so...

waveking wrote:can someone please explain to me the lines Alfred says in the beginning of the trailer. In what way has he let Bruce down? He certainly can't be expected to protect him from a mercenary like Bane.

its quite simple

he let him get carried away with his obsession...he let him be Batman

George wrote:
Z. Cobb wrote:That parallels with the Gordon quote "We were in this together, then you were gone"
Exactly. So while Bruce is exiled, time passes in Gotham without Batman and during that time Gordon is injured. That feels like what should be the 8 year jump...
Yeah, it does. But Nolan said that the eight-year time jump was there to give weight to the deal that Gordon and Batman made at the end of TDK, and that doesn't seem to fit if Bruce is captured and thus forced to keep silent.

its quite simple

he let him get carried away with his obsession...he let him be Batman
Isn't it too late for that? I mean Bruce had gone throgh hell in tdk( with rachel dying and all) and then too Alfred seemed pretty composed. But here he is almost crying. I'm sure there is some specific reason for that whole conversation b/w them.

mchekhov wrote:
George wrote:

See what makes sense to me is that there are two time jumps happening. There's one from TDK to TDKR, and then another within TDKR while Bruce is exiled. That way it would make sense for him to heal from Bane's beating and for Gotham to fall apart.

yeah looks like it

this would give them time to quickly show how much worse gotham eventually gets under this regime....we were told by NY extras that the cops have been forced into hiding for a very long time so...
:think:

So now I wonder if the 8 year thing Nolan mentioned refers to the time between TDK and TDKR or to Bruce's exile during TDKR.

For both cases there are things that make the 8 years feel necessary. For instance, Selina's line "you think this can last?" and the Judge's line of "peace time" imply that there's be some significant period of calm. There's also Wayne Manor completely rebuilt and Miranda Tate, a previously unseen character, becoming a board member of Wayne Enterprises.

George wrote:
mchekhov wrote:

yeah looks like it

So now I wonder if the 8 year thing Nolan mentioned refers to the time between TDK and TDKR or to Bruce's exile during TDKR.

For both cases there are things that make the 8 years feel necessary. For instance, Selina's line "you think this can last?" and the Judge's line of "peace time" imply that there's be some significant period of calm. There's also Wayne Manor completely rebuilt and Miranda Tate, a previously unseen character, becoming a board member of Wayne Enterprises.
I have a feeling that the talk with Selina will happen as soon as Bruce returns Gotham after his exile (which I wasn't too sure about but makes sense to me now) and then he visits Gordon in hospital to get the idea.

George wrote:
mchekhov wrote:

yeah looks like it

i think the 8 year definitely refers to the first time jump, as explained by Nolan to be necessary to give time for the Dentgate to have an effect

then i'm guessing the next time jump could be anywhere from 6 months to a year and a half