The Dark Knight Rises vs The Amazing Spiderman?

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
My money's on Men in Black III.

-Vader

It's like asking Nirvana vs Justin Bieber :think:

No seriously, I think it may lead to an interesting competition, but obviously I'm more looking forward to see TDKR. Because it will be beyond awesome !

Vader182 wrote:My money's on Men in Black III.
good one haha
Glynnister wrote:I think for me spiderman has a completely different feel to batman from the ground up. The concept of a young guy being bitten by radioactive spiders, wearing a bright colorful suit, being the public hero and swinging around a constantly sunny new York is something that despite being in the same genre I feel is a whole other animal and something that doesn't appeal to me atall.

The original trilogy was good, people like spiderman, I'm yet to meet anyone who loves it like people seem to lovethe dark knight or batman begins and I think that says it all.
Spiderman will do well and make slot of money, people will day the film is good and it'll do well.

The difference lies in the fact that Batman will blow people's minds, it will be an epic, it will be something that I think will have the Avatar effect of people speaking about it all the time. From it's very beginnings as a franchise and for it's wider appeal I think that batman, and in particular the style that Nolan has adopted means spiderman won't scratch the surface.
The great thing about the Batman franchise is that the films are in some sense oscar bait + blockbuster which is great if you just like great action scenes, but Nolans films and the Batman films go beyond that and offer more depth. Spiderman I also love but for different reasons, the films are just fun to watch.
Last edited by theweatherman on July 21st, 2011, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Triple Post

I don't think there's going to be that much competition at all.

Think about it, what would the average moviegoer pick if they could only choose one: a reboot of a story about a young man who shoots webbing from his hands and runs around in a red suit, or a final installment to the most critically acclaimed comic book movie series of all time?

It's idiotic to generalize the audience but, when it comes to coughing up cash, which movie would they rather see?

Regardless, I do want to see both. My complaint towards The Amazing Spiderman is that it is trying far too much to be Batman Begins. Not just because of the teaser (which is quite similar to the BB teaser), but also because it is trying to ground the series in reality after a poorly received movie (Spider 3) in the franchise (which is what BB did). The timing is apt, and I'm all for a Marvel movie, but what the hell Marvel? When I go to see a Marvel movie, I don't expect some philosophical and metaphorical movie about a Norse God who is sent to Earth for pissing off his father. In that same respect, why would I expect a "dark" Spiderman movie? It just doesn't fit. It's not Marvel's movie series, it's Mark Webb's wish that he could be Chris Nolan.

Because Batman is an acceptably dark and tortured character, you do not erase the mythical and captivating qualities of his persona by grounding his world in reality. Nolan did this exceptionally well, and this is why his Bat movies attract superhero fans, literary critics, and average joe moviegoers.

Spiderman is not a dark character. He's not a depressed character, and he never really was tortured. Sure, he has his troubles...what with his parents and his uncle, but what instigates his transformation to Spiderman is his inherent powers from a spider bite and a need to fight the bad guys. Is that stupid or simple? No way. When done right, Spiderman is an amazing character (hence the name) who can be hurt, emotionally and physically. But the difference between Spiderman and Batman is that, where Spiderman's past is supposed to lift him into a heroic state, Batman's past is meant to constantly remind him what his limits, and his abilities, really are. Because Batman isn't a hero...and that's what makes the gritty and realistic setting of Nolan's universe so apt.

Trust me, I want The Amazing Spiderman to be good. I think Andrew Garfield is an excellent actor, and the cast is brilliant. But that doesn't make a movie memorable. First and foremost, you need to capture the spirit of the character and the world he lives in...not tarnish it with dark lighting and the dude from The Social Network.

My two cents :lol:

fisher_king wrote:In that same respect, why would I expect a "dark" Spiderman movie? It just doesn't fit.
If this is dark spidey, what would happen when the symbiotes gets attached to him? :lol:
gib sigs

Pratham wrote:
fisher_king wrote:In that same respect, why would I expect a "dark" Spiderman movie? It just doesn't fit.
If this is dark spidey, what would happen when the symbiotes gets attached to him? :lol:
My thoughts exactly. We may not even be able to see the movie :lol:

fisher_king wrote:I don't think there's going to be that much competition at all.

Trust me, I want The Amazing Spiderman to be good. I think Andrew Garfield is an excellent actor, and the cast is brilliant. But that doesn't make a movie memorable. First and foremost, you need to capture the spirit of the character and the world he lives in...not tarnish it with dark lighting and the dude from The Social Network.

Removed most of the comment because it's really long lol.
I agree Garfield is a great actor and they've rounded up so far a good cast. But tdkr undoubtedly still have the edge over spidey haha. Sally Field and Martin Sheen are great but they're no Gary Oldman, Michael Caine or Morgan Freeman. Also Andrew Garfield/Emma Stone are no Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotillard, Tom Hardy or even Joseph Gordon Levitt.

Flutterby wrote:It's like asking Nirvana vs Justin Bieber :think:

No seriously, I think it may lead to an interesting competition, but obviously I'm more looking forward to see TDKR. Because it will be beyond awesome !
THIS ;)

I will go to see both as well (probably) but I hope TDKR does better 8-)

pixiedivision wrote:
fisher_king wrote:I don't think there's going to be that much competition at all.

I agree Garfield is a great actor and they've rounded up so far a good cast. But tdkr undoubtedly still have the edge over spidey haha. Sally Field and Martin Sheen are great but they're no Gary Oldman, Michael Caine or Morgan Freeman. Also Andrew Garfield/Emma Stone are no Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotillard, Tom Hardy or even Joseph Gordon Levitt.
I think Garfield has the capacity to take the role as impressively as Bale in Batman Begins, but I do agree that the rest of the cast doesn't stack up to Nolan's series. I think Nolan went for actors that truly fit the role...Webb is going for actors and actresses that simple reach different audiences (Sheen, Stone, and Garfield all inhabit different aspects of pop culture). Great talent, but I do agree that they are not as impressive as Batman's.

fisher_king wrote:
pixiedivision wrote:
I think Garfield has the capacity to take the role as impressively as Bale in Batman Begins, but I do agree that the rest of the cast doesn't stack up to Nolan's series. I think Nolan went for actors that truly fit the role...Webb is going for actors and actresses that simple reach different audiences (Sheen, Stone, and Garfield all inhabit different aspects of pop culture). Great talent, but I do agree that they are not as impressive as Batman's.
Oh wait I take that back, I do think Garfield has that potential and in some of his other roles has shown it as well. I just got caught up/worked up in the comment lol. But I meant in general if you compare Garfield and Christian Bale there is no competition. Don't get me wrong..Garfield is a GREAT actor but compared to how easily Bale can slip into different types of roles..Bale is on a completely different calibre. As is most of the tdkr cast.