Bruce's Parents

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
talli wrote:here's the full quote

Ra's al Ghul: Of course. Over the ages, our weapons have grown more sophisticated. With Gotham, we tried a new one: Economics. But we underestimated certain of Gotham's citizens... such as your parents. Gunned down by one of the very people they were trying to help. Create enough hunger and everyone becomes a criminal. Their deaths galvanized the city into saving itself... and Gotham has limped on ever since. We are back to finish the job. And this time no misguided idealists will get in the way. Like your father, you lack the courage to do all that is necessary. If someone stands in the way of true justice... you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart.

I don't see how you can deny that they killed Thomas Wayne as a quick fix...he says we are BACK TO FINISH THE JOB....suggesting that killing Wayne was a temporary solution
1. The League uses economics to bring down Gotham.
2. As a result of that approach, many new poor and desperate are created.
3. As a result of THAT, the Waynes are killed when Joe Chill sees them leaving the opera house.
4. As a result of THAT, Gotham "limps along," inspired and moved by the Waynes' earlier charity and their deaths.
5. The League leaves off the economic approach, reconsiders, and formulates the fear toxin. No "misguided idealists" - i.e., the Wayne standing in front of Ra's - will foil their plan.
6. Ra's tries to give a verbal flourish to killing Wayne, basically telling him that while he's been philosophizing with Ra's, a League member's about to take him down.

I can "deny" your assertion that Ra's/the League specifically targeted the Waynes because it seems plain to me that they were incidental collateral, not specified targets.

YMMV.

Aranion wrote:
talli wrote:here's the full quote

Ra's al Ghul: Of course. Over the ages, our weapons have grown more sophisticated. With Gotham, we tried a new one: Economics. But we underestimated certain of Gotham's citizens... such as your parents. Gunned down by one of the very people they were trying to help. Create enough hunger and everyone becomes a criminal. Their deaths galvanized the city into saving itself... and Gotham has limped on ever since. We are back to finish the job. And this time no misguided idealists will get in the way. Like your father, you lack the courage to do all that is necessary. If someone stands in the way of true justice... you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart.

I don't see how you can deny that they killed Thomas Wayne as a quick fix...he says we are BACK TO FINISH THE JOB....suggesting that killing Wayne was a temporary solution
1. The League uses economics to bring down Gotham.
2. As a result of that approach, many new poor and desperate are created.
3. As a result of THAT, the Waynes are killed when Joe Chill sees them leaving the opera house.
4. As a result of THAT, Gotham "limps along," inspired and moved by the Waynes' earlier charity and their deaths.
5. The League leaves off the economic approach, reconsiders, and formulates the fear toxin. No "misguided idealists" - i.e., the Wayne standing in front of Ra's - will foil their plan.
6. Ra's tries to give a verbal flourish to killing Wayne, basically telling him that while he's been philosophizing with Ra's, a League member's about to take him down.

I can "deny" your assertion that Ra's/the League specifically targeted the Waynes because it seems plain to me that they were incidental collateral, not specified targets.

YMMV.
well, yeah, i didnt mean that Ra's was directly behind the death of Thomas Wayne, but he set up the circumstance where it was bound to happen....and if it hadnt, he sure would have arranged for it to be done.

talli wrote:
Aranion wrote:
The context, though, is Ra's trying to distract Bruce while one of the League....walks up behind him.

Ra's is saying the League's policies helped killed the Waynes. He's not saying the League targeted them.
here's the full quote

Ok, so some comprehension must really be lacking here. Ra's specifically states that his parents were "Gunned down by one of the very people they were trying to help." I.e. a citizen who has gone past desperation in this case. Starving, no means of getting shelter, food, and who knows if he has an unconquerable (for him at any rate) addiction to drugs that were drowning Gotham's citizens at the time.

Are you suggesting that Thomas Wayne was trying to help the League of Shadows? Because that is exactly what you are trying to emphasize and argue here.

Bruce's parents were not gunned down by Ra's or any of his henchmen. If you argue that, it takes away from the story Nolan is trying to tell of the tragedy and inspiration that is Bruce's story. And it takes away from the aspect on how much Gotham really needed help from the Mob and it's abysmal economic situation.

Edit - Aaaaaaand Talli addressed it with a post that beat mine by just a couple minutes. :p