Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Ever since the announcement of the inclusion of Selina Kyle into the TDKR storyline...I've been pondering on how Chris Nolan and Co. were going to pull this off.

Selina Kyle - Anyone who follows Batman knows is the secret identity of Catwoman. She is the fellow creature of the night, morally ambiguous, cat-burgular (no pun intended), and a femme fatale and love interest to Bruce Wayne/Batman. Her background depending on the source material has either been that of an ex-prostitute or as a wealthy socialite who is an animal rights activist. Her abilities displayed in the comics are her expertise in acrobatics, martial arts, use of a whip and claws as weapons, and high-tech surveillance equipment.

What I find to be most interesting is how Catwoman will be interpreted through Nolan's prism and what will result in her background and role in this TDKR. There are many options to go here...here's a few that I would find interesting and consistent with Nolan's world. They could (a) make her a government agent gone rogue (b) wealthy heiress who went on a similar journey as Bruce Wayne but ended up being seduced by the thrill of crime (c) Selina Kyle is an alias like Henri Ducard...and she's was or is part of the League of Shadows. Or Nolan could borrow straight from the comic books frame by frame...but c'mon, everyone knows he's not going to do that!

Any comments?

Catwoman was one of the characters I didn't want to see in the movie. Mainly because I can't see how her character adds to the current story beyond a love interest. A big problem with any love interest is it takes away Bruce’s feelings for Rachel in the previous films, showing he had no real feelings for her if he falls for the next girl that catches his eye. Granted this was bound to happen a person couldn’t be alone forever. However if this movie starts a few months after the events of the Dark Knight it won't make sense for Bruce a man who has been fighting for justice, training himself mentally to combat it, to just let a good looking thief change his outlook on criminals being brought in front of a jury and tried for their crimes.

As I wrote my take on Catwomen above I realized that could be a good ending for the film, if he turns her in to the authorities, showing what he stands for as Batman, that protecting Gotham is more important than his personal feelings.

At this stage...I'm leaning toward Catwoman being one of the characters who can make Bruce Wayne re-evaluate his ideology as being Batman and the nature of criminality.

I think Rachel was always Bruce's idealization of a life he could have had if his parents weren't murdered. Whomever, Bruce confides his feelings to will be entrenched in his current reality. And at the end of the day...Bruce Wayne is a lonely man with a very disturbed past who has dealt with his issues with violent behavior against criminals in order to bring them to justice. It's a very extreme and obsessive lifestyle...maybe Selina is dysfunctional enough to understand Bruce.

True, Bruce's lifestyle is very similar to a criminal’s lifestyle in the respect that he has no real close friends (except for Alfred and Lucius, who are more of a father figure and tie-in to Wayne Enterprises respectively) mainly due to the fact what he does is dangerous to those around him. A person like Selina Kyle, who understands that liability, could in the end help him work out some inner demons.

JUSTIN time wrote:Catwoman was one of the characters I didn't want to see in the movie. Mainly because I can't see how her character adds to the current story beyond a love interest. A big problem with any love interest is it takes away Bruce’s feelings for Rachel in the previous films, showing he had no real feelings for her if he falls for the next girl that catches his eye. Granted this was bound to happen a person couldn’t be alone forever. However if this movie starts a few months after the events of the Dark Knight it won't make sense for Bruce a man who has been fighting for justice, training himself mentally to combat it, to just let a good looking thief change his outlook on criminals being brought in front of a jury and tried for their crimes.

As I wrote my take on Catwomen above I realized that could be a good ending for the film, if he turns her in to the authorities, showing what he stands for as Batman, that protecting Gotham is more important than his personal feelings.
It could work if he dates Selina Kyle as Bruce Wayne for appearances, the way he did with Natasha the Russian dancer, or the two girls in the hotel in Batman Begins. It would sort of feel like a retread of Batman Returns, but that doesn't completely rule it out.

EnzoTheBaker wrote:
It could work if he dates Selina Kyle as Bruce Wayne for appearances, the way he did with Natasha the Russian dancer, or the two girls in the hotel in Batman Begins. It would sort of feel like a retread of Batman Returns, but that doesn't completely rule it out.
Yes, she could just be a small role character. The more I think about it the more it makes sense that she will have a small role and then at the same time I think she will have a big role. Nolan has put other characters in the movies, without giving them a big role (Victor Zsasz) but why announce her then that seems like a promotional preview from the studios, not what I have come to expect from Nolan. I think he has a story for her and hopefully it will not be too time consuming.
Selina Kyle a small time thief with surprising expertise, not fully known or even mentioned in the newspapers of Gotham, but someone you could see becoming Catwoman.

Well, there's certainly more than one way to portray Catwoman. Personally, I prefer one of the non-whippy versions.

No whiskers either, please. :lol:

If she is done right she will be good, otherwise She will ruin it. I doubt the second statement because it is Chris Nolan we are talking about.

Also, I really liked the catwoman in hush.

xWhereAmI?
If she is done right she will be good, otherwise She will ruin it. I doubt the second statement because it is Chris Nolan we are talking about.
I agree Catwoman can be done right and there are many ways to portray a character.
EnzoTheBaker
Well, there's certainly more than one way to portray Catwoman. Personally, I prefer one of the non-whippy versions.
Definitely no whip and can't say I would be crazy about any tight low cut outfit because thats not a really realistic look for a thief. Can you belive the people in the trailer prediction forum who want her to meow in the trailer? I guess some people can't see that these movies have moved from comic book interpretations to real film work.