Tom Hardy as Bane

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
MTV posted this article

The Riddler. Hugo Strange. Deadshot. Killer Croc. What do these iconic Batman villains all have in common? None of them are going to be played by Tom Hardy in "The Dark Knight Rises," contrary to persistent rumors.

Instead, Hardy, who was Christopher Nolan's first new hire for his last Batman movie's cast, is on board for Bane — and to say that we're pumped about this casting is nothing short of an understatement, if you'll forgive the pun.

For those of you who aren't terribly familiar with Bane, the gist of what you need to know about the character is after the jump!

First appearing in the pages of "Batman: Vengeance of Bane" in the early 1990s, the Caped Crusader's heavily muscled rival is also one of his fiercest foes: as a prisoner, he was forced to become a test subject for Venom, a drug that enhanced his physical strength to superhuman levels. The catch is that Bane has to constantly inject himself with Venom or else risk some severe side-effects. Making matters worse, Bane isn't just an unstoppable physical force; he's also a serious mental threat, with wits that are as formidable as his muscles.

In the DC Universe, Bane remains best known for deciphering Batman's secret identity and subsequently breaking the costumed vigilante's back, rendering Gotham's greatest hero a paraplegic. Naturally, not even paralysis can keep Bats off his feet for long, and he eventually provided Bane with the proper dose of justice he deserved.

Exactly how Nolan and Hardy deal with Bane remains to be seen, though it's a safe bet that the character's intelligence will be featured much more prominently than it was in "Batman & Robin," his laughable first appearance on the silver screen. It'll be interesting to see how Nolan deals with Bane's Venom-infused strength, too. Will it physically alter his body as is the case in the comics? Will it simply yield a psychological effect? Nolan's sensibilities lead us to think it's the latter, but the man does love his curveballs: perhaps he'll find a way to ground Bane's power in reality.

doesn't the title make perfect sense now? Bane puts Batman into retirement, but.....The Dark Knight Rises

OMG it makes perfect sense now!!!!

I don't think we'll be seeing Azrael in this film, though, so the name might come from somewhere else.

Thank you! I was going to do this bcuz people need to know the real Bane from the books!! :clap: :clap:

I think "Rises" is an indication to the point that Wayne/Batman were at the end of The Dark Knight. People don't like or respect Wayne because they think he's a spoiled, worthless playboy; and everyone thinks Batman's a killer and menace as opposed to the hero and icon he was at the beginning of the film. The Joker brought Batman down to his lowest point by the end of the last film. This film will be about Batman getting out of the "hole" he's currently in.

That seems like a more logical reason for the title to me then speculation as to Banes actions in The Dark Knight Rises. Plus Batman becoming a paraplegic would be incredibly stupid and un-Nolan like...

Talli are you being serious...?

Crazy Eight wrote:I think "Rises" is an indication to the point that Wayne/Batman were at the end of The Dark Knight. People don't like or respect Wayne because they think he's a spoiled, worthless playboy; and everyone thinks Batman's a killer and menace as opposed to the hero and icon he was at the beginning of the film. The Joker brought Batman down to his lowest point by the end of the last film. This film will be about Batman getting out of the "hole" he's currently in.

That seems like a more logical reason for the title to me then speculation as to Banes actions in The Dark Knight Rises. Plus Batman becoming a paraplegic would be incredibly stupid and un-Nolan like...

Talli are you being serious...?
He isn't following Knightfall page per page. You really think he would break his back, lol.

Bane became part of the lead of shadows at some point right... almost a better student... so in that sense... Bane is pretty much a replacement for what Ra's expected of Batman/Bruce Wayne. That could fit into the story arc. Perhaps :think:

I think Nolan's depiction of Bane will look a lot like Ras in Begins...that samurai outfit

talli wrote:I think Nolan's depiction of Bane will look a lot like Ras in Begins...that samurai outfit
For part of it... maybe... but Hardy walking around Gotham in a samurai outfit would be ridiculous. Ra's wore a suit for the majority of Batman Begins.

Crazy Eight wrote:That seems like a more logical reason for the title to me then speculation as to Banes actions in The Dark Knight Rises. Plus Batman becoming a paraplegic would be incredibly stupid and un-Nolan like...
True. Although I'm almost hoping Bruce dies at the end of this, and that ends Nolan's continuity. It would violate the superhero death rule: no one stays dead except Uncle Ben. It won't happen, and I don't even think it would make a good film, but it would still be one hell of a ballsy move.