[SPOILERS] TDKR Plot Speculation

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Vagrant wrote:I think Old!Batman would draw in a great crowd. Because unlike the other movies you mentioned, Old!Batman is a visibly striking and obviously different take on a popular character. I think many people would go to see it simply on that fact. Curiosity.
Curiosity killed the cat. (sorry couldn't resist ;) )
Vagrant wrote:Personally, I'd just love a movie entirely based on The Long Halloween. A stand-alone film, no tie-in to anything else, just Batman being a really proper detective. Yes, it has the issues of the plot already being known, but is that really an issue? I would did realistic Detective!Batman.
But The Long Halloween wouldn't work without Harvey Dent, The Joker, Falcone's, and the Maroni's
Plus the majority of the heavy plot points were already done in TDK. Trust me, there are PLENTY of detective arcs in the comics Nolan can explore.
kanjisheik wrote:Awesome thread, cchriswake! I am a huge fan of DC Comics (especially Vertigo) but I tend to read only the TPBs and OGNs - thanks for updating my knowledge of the Bat villains. Keep up the good work. :-)
hey thanks! I've fallen out of love with Vertigo Comics due to down years but I understand the TPBs and OGNs readings, it's much easier to follow in one paperback then keep track of different issues to put in chronological order lol :lol:
James wrote:I really want to see a strong detective movie on a grand scale. I would really like to see Firefly as just a pyromaniac with a flamethrower(s) who wears a fire retardant suit (without a mask?) due to his body being covered in burns. He's in and out at frequent bouts in Arkham, and maybe even commits crimes using lights, mirrors and fire. Id like Matt Damon to play him, I cant get him out of my head in that role. He could play it so well as a guy who knows he has problems(hes a pyromaniac) but just wants and needs to get his fix. He'd play the average guy so well.
I'm not opposed to seeing firefly in a film... but the problem with firefly is that he is a B character at best and the character is written so poorly, which you really can't blame the writers for, and everything that makes Mr. Freeze a tragic character in every sense of the word Firefly contradicts because he has nothing on the table as far as villains go. There's actually been a solid movement of negativity against the character in recent years because of this which is why it's pretty rare to see him outside of a Batman only book and even then he rarely makes an appearance.

i could see Garfield Lynns (firefly) making a small appearance. He could be part of the mob as an arsonist.

Ive never read or seen Firefly in anything but i think he's solo. Like Han Solo :)

James wrote:Ive never read or seen Firefly in anything but i think he's solo. Like Han Solo :)
there really isn't much to enjoy about this character outside of the Knightfall storyline where his small cameo consisted of burning down establishments he used to enjoy during childhood.. other than that it's been lapdog Lynns for a while.

Ok. Isnt that similair to the scarecrow and how there wasnt a HUGE amount to draw from? or am i wrong? :think: I know there will definetley be villains no-ones heard of for the hard-core batman fans, like you and I.

If the studio had there way it would be the penguin, riddler, catwomen and all those hollywood stars, that crap just to draw in audiences for money.

James wrote:Ok. Isnt that similair to the scarecrow and how there wasnt a HUGE amount to draw from? or am i wrong? :think: I know there will definetley be villains no-ones heard of for the hard-core batman fans, like you and I.

If the studio had there way it would be the penguin, riddler, catwomen and all those hollywood stars, that crap just to draw in audiences for money.
Thankfully WB knows what its doing, and that is letting Nolan do his job.

Thank god Fox don't have their hands on Batman.

chee wrote:Ok. Isnt that similair to the scarecrow and how there wasnt a HUGE amount to draw from? or am i wrong? :think: I know there will definetley be villains no-ones heard of for the hard-core batman fans, like you and I.
The scarecrow actually has a big fanbase and unlike Firefly has an extensive library of interesting arcs for Nolan to draw from.
James wrote:If the studio had there way it would be the penguin, riddler, catwomen and all those hollywood stars, that crap just to draw in audiences for money.

Thankfully WB knows what its doing, and that is letting Nolan do his job.

Thank god Fox don't have their hands on Batman.
If Fox took a bada** character like this

... and turned him into this

... I shudder to think what they would have done to a Batman franchise

or bring in Frank Miller to do his bastardization like his horrific All Star B&R panels

Two godawful elseworld tales

i predict a lot of the 3rd installment would be from partial adaptations of "dark victory" which was the sequel to "a long halloween"

it's going to be about gordan and batman struggling over the loss of dent. a new female DA taking over with an all out intent to capture batman. the introduction of catwoman and her relationship with the falcone crime family. the only thing left out is the origin of robin.

cchriswake wrote:
Vagrant wrote:Personally, I'd just love a movie entirely based on The Long Halloween. A stand-alone film, no tie-in to anything else, just Batman being a really proper detective. Yes, it has the issues of the plot already being known, but is that really an issue? I would love realistic Detective!Batman.
But The Long Halloween wouldn't work without Harvey Dent, The Joker, Falcone's, and the Maroni's
Plus the majority of the heavy plot points were already done in TDK. Trust me, there are PLENTY of detective arcs in the comics Nolan can explore.
Which is exactly why I said I'd love to see it as a stand-alone film. Batman will have more movies once Nolan's done, I just hope they're one-off and tackle more interesting aspects that we haven't had much of a chance to see in films.

As for this movie, it's impossible to tell really, but given where TDK ended I'd hope that Nolan would draw inspiration from the stories where Batman really is treated as a proper criminal by the police.

I think we are likely to see more influence from the Gotham Central series as we did in TDK, especially in regards to the GCPD's actions. I imagine they will bring in more official GCPD characters like Renee Montoya and Harvey Bullock who I do feel will have a key role in this next film.

I also believe that the villains will indeed be Black Mask and Catwoman drawing a lot of inspiration from War Games. The battle between characters gives them several key conflicts to work with in Sionis/Wayne - Selina/Wayne - Black Mask/Catwoman & Batman/Catwoman.

The 3 way dance with Batman, Catwoman & Black mask along with an investigation within the GCPD headed by Bullock as they hunt The Dark Knight would make for a great story I think.

Its the perfect time in Gotham for a masked freak like Black Mask to step in and take over the mob. The fact that batman took the blame for Harvey's killings probably also means that many of the criminals will think batmans crossed the line and started killing. The average mob boss won't be up to the challenge of the bat but Black Mask will be.

Catwoman perhaps has some vendetta with the mob and a connection to the falcone family and her cat like curiosity gets her into trouble when she begins to prowl around in Sionis's business.