Hans Zimmer talks 'The Dark Knight Rises' score

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
To be fair, I don't think there's been an indication that James won't return. Him and Hans are still very good friends, and Chris was very satisfied with the score for TDK. Zimmer's just a publicity whore (not an insult, Hans, I still love you) and he likes being coy and playful about things like DKR.

I think JNH will be back. Duality was a theme expressed across both Batman films & shared by both Zimmer and Howard in composing the score. In Begins Zimmer had "Batman" and Howard had "Bruce Wayne", and in TDK Zimmer had "The Joker" and Howard had "Harvey Dent. It's a theme I expect Team Nolan to revisit again, and IMO, since both Zimmer & Howard bring a different sensibility to each half, it would feel really weird to not have Howard on board for that alone.

i didn't like the two face track he did, but i'm sure he contributed to the other tracks as well

The Harvey Dent theme is an evolution of what I call the 'becoming a hero' theme in the first film. Very cool once I realized it.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/02/15/th ... ns-zimmer/

(MTV) asked how many notes of "The Dark Knight Rises" score he has down now, Zimmer laughed, "Ugh. No, no, no, no." [Translation: I don't want to talk about that!]

Pressing on, I threw out a couple of specific notes to see if he'd confirm or deny something he's already written into the score. Might there be an F sharp in there? D Minor?

"There's definitely a D minor in it," Zimmer responded, warming up. "Absolutely. We've got some D minor going on. No, we are thinking hard about that one right now. That's going to be extraordinary."

Asked if he plans on writing a pronounced theme into the score or inserting something more subtle or tricky (a la his sneaky use of Edith Piaf's “Non, je ne regrette rien” in "Inception"), Zimmer said, "Don't quite know yet."

"No, I'm not going to say," he said. "The one thing I can tell you is that it's going to be a lot more epic. Extraordinarily epic."

But what does that mean, Hans?!?

"I don't know, it's like, 'What's epic these days?' I think there's something in the core of the story that allows you to get the music much bigger and much more sort of, iconic," he ventured.

Very interesting... "something in the core of the story" that will allow for "bigger, iconic" sounds?!? Sounds good to me. Does this mean there will be more pieces in the orchestra?

"I'm not going to tell you!" Zimmer said. "You've got more out of me than anybody has so far," he said with a smile.

If I wasn't already consumed by Radiohead's upcoming release this interview would make me angry. We're TOO FAR away for all this press coming out about it being epic and amazing.

Vader182 wrote:If I wasn't already consumed by Radiohead's upcoming release this interview would make me angry. We're TOO FAR away for all this press coming out about it being epic and amazing.
Look, every filmmaker and actor is talking about their movies like it's the best movie in the history of cinema, so that can't be a surprise :D

I'm not surprised, they went through the same secretive stuff with Inception. We're all just gonna have to sit back and just deal with the teasing.

DHOPW42 wrote:
Vader182 wrote:If I wasn't already consumed by Radiohead's upcoming release this interview would make me angry. We're TOO FAR away for all this press coming out about it being epic and amazing.
Look, every filmmaker and actor is talking about their movies like it's the best movie in the history of cinema, so that can't be a surprise :D
Yeah, but not every filmmaker and actor might be right :lol:

Vader182 wrote:Yeah, but not every filmmaker and actor might be right :lol:
Of course, that's obvious, but imagine Hans Zimmer saying: "Yeah, yeah, I think the score won't be so good this time, I'm kinda lazy these days, so I think I will sit down at my desk, write a few notes, drink coffee and then watch some House instead." :D