[SPOILERS] TDKR Viral Marketing

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Man, I just need some footage. Gif sets galore!

chee wrote:Man, I just need some footage. Gif sets galore!
Haha do you make the .gifs in your avatars/sigs? The one you had before with Bale & the taco cracked me up! :lol:
Batman-News.com
The Premiere Source For All Things Batman
Twitter / Facebook / Google+

chee wrote: The first poster was released through the online video game. Other stuff in the second and third levels. Nothing in the fourth. The game was the only interesting aspect to the viral marketing. Everything else kind of fell flat.
That and the commercials, web blog, street posters using that code thing, all of which linked to the ultimately disappointing viral site.

I still like how i was one of the first to see the viral commercial haha. Too bad it didn't lead us somewhere more awesome.

Batman-News.com wrote:
chee wrote:Man, I just need some footage. Gif sets galore!
Haha do you make the .gifs in your avatars/sigs? The one you had before with Bale & the taco cracked me up! :lol:
I made most of the Inception gifs during the summer. But the one I have right now and the non-Inception ones are gifs I find at tumblr or ONTD.
postal wrote:That and the commercials, web blog, street posters using that code thing, all of which linked to the ultimately disappointing viral site.

I still like how i was one of the first to see the viral commercial haha. Too bad it didn't lead us somewhere more awesome.
Yea, very disappointing.

I did like that Britain marketing tactic they had, where they had a man in a suit with a suitcase with tickets to the movie premiere. Too bad that wasn't in America.

chee wrote:
I did like that Britain marketing tactic they had, where they had a man in a suit with a suitcase with tickets to the movie premiere. Too bad that wasn't in America.
Oh I'd forgotten about that. Yeah that was cool. If only it happened all over the US as well.

I liked the prequel to Inception the Cobol Job comic. It would be cool to have something like that to conenct TDK and TDKRises, revealing what happened inbetweene and where will it all go. Just saying...

Batman-News.com wrote:I'm not sure how many of you were around for TDK's viral marketing campaign...but it was AWESOME! For almost a full year before TDK's release fans were encouraged to work together to complete scavenger hunts, puzzles and more. Our reward was usually a trailer or exclusive photo. People were even sent free collectible items like "Gotham Times" newspapers, Harvey Dent posters, stickers, and buttons.

Someone submitted this to Batman-News.com summing up TDK's viral marketing experience:
http://batman-news.com/2010/11/03/op-ed ... to-gotham/

Reading that got me really pumped...but also a little worried. When The Riddler was a rumored villain, I thought there would definitely be a viral marketing campaign for TDKR. I already pictured all the puzzles and riddles we'd have to solve. But now that The Riddler won't be in the movie, is it possible we'll still get another viral marketing campaign?

The virals worked great last time around with The Joker as the villain. The way he "Joker-ized" Gotham and taunted us with his crude humor really fit his character and the story. If we end up with someone like Catwoman as the villain would it make sense for her to do something similar?

What do you guys think? Were you around for TDK's awesome viral marketing? 42 Entertainment is the company that Warner Bros. hired to handle it and I really hope they've got something cool planned for TDKR. I'm just trying to think how it could work if it's not centered around the main villain...
Ahem, the entire thing was actually a year and a half, not "almost a full year." Give credit where it's due. :JGLface: :P

Also, 42Entertainment is doing the TRON viral right now and IMO it's not nearly as awesome as TDK's. There are cool events, but not a lot of substance behind it. Most of it is, "Check out this place at this time! There will be cool stuff!" but not a lot connecting the events.

Most of the people actually behind the TDK ARG left 42E shortly after the campaign ended and formed their own company. If we want substance to go with the coolness, I'd keep an eye out for No Mimes Media instead. :thumbup:
postal wrote:It's pretty much a sure thing there will be another viral campaign. Yeah we don't have the joker or Riddler anymore, but no way they'll pass up the chance to help get the word out for this movie, they'll think of something. Hopefully they'll do like that one part of the Inception campaign did, with viral commercials that required you to quickly send a text message in to get a link to a viral website. That one was great, even if that website never went anywhere after the first few articles.
Eh, commercials that require you sending in a text isn't like TDK's ARG at all. That's just regular old marketing going multimedia. I'd hope for some real alternate reality stuff.

Anita18 wrote:
Batman-News.com wrote:I'm not sure how many of you were around for TDK's viral marketing campaign...but it was AWESOME! For almost a full year before TDK's release fans were encouraged to work together to complete scavenger hunts, puzzles and more. Our reward was usually a trailer or exclusive photo. People were even sent free collectible items like "Gotham Times" newspapers, Harvey Dent posters, stickers, and buttons.

Someone submitted this to Batman-News.com summing up TDK's viral marketing experience:
http://batman-news.com/2010/11/03/op-ed ... to-gotham/

Reading that got me really pumped...but also a little worried. When The Riddler was a rumored villain, I thought there would definitely be a viral marketing campaign for TDKR. I already pictured all the puzzles and riddles we'd have to solve. But now that The Riddler won't be in the movie, is it possible we'll still get another viral marketing campaign?

The virals worked great last time around with The Joker as the villain. The way he "Joker-ized" Gotham and taunted us with his crude humor really fit his character and the story. If we end up with someone like Catwoman as the villain would it make sense for her to do something similar?

What do you guys think? Were you around for TDK's awesome viral marketing? 42 Entertainment is the company that Warner Bros. hired to handle it and I really hope they've got something cool planned for TDKR. I'm just trying to think how it could work if it's not centered around the main villain...
Ahem, the entire thing was actually a year and a half, not "almost a full year." Give credit where it's due. :JGLface: :P

Also, 42Entertainment is doing the TRON viral right now and IMO it's not nearly as awesome as TDK's. There are cool events, but not a lot of substance behind it. Most of it is, "Check out this place at this time! There will be cool stuff!" but not a lot connecting the events.

Most of the people actually behind the TDK ARG left 42E shortly after the campaign ended and formed their own company. If we want substance to go with the coolness, I'd keep an eye out for No Mimes Media instead. :thumbup:
postal wrote:It's pretty much a sure thing there will be another viral campaign. Yeah we don't have the joker or Riddler anymore, but no way they'll pass up the chance to help get the word out for this movie, they'll think of something. Hopefully they'll do like that one part of the Inception campaign did, with viral commercials that required you to quickly send a text message in to get a link to a viral website. That one was great, even if that website never went anywhere after the first few articles.
Eh, commercials that require you sending in a text isn't like TDK's ARG at all. That's just regular old marketing going multimedia. I'd hope for some real alternate reality stuff.
Hey Anita! Sorry my timeline was off...you're right though! BTW your website is AMAZING. Would you mind if I added a link to it at the end of my post?
Batman-News.com
The Premiere Source For All Things Batman
Twitter / Facebook / Google+

Batman-News.com wrote:Hey Anita! Sorry my timeline was off...you're right though! BTW your website is AMAZING. Would you mind if I added a link to it at the end of my post?
I thought you'd never ask. :oldmanface:

Go right ahead! :)