Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Posts: 19
Joined: November 2012
TalkOnCorners wrote:Eh I disagree. I don't think Bane stole the limelight in TDKR. If anything, it was Catwoman (among the new characters) that got the most positive attention. Having said that, IMO, Bruce/Batman was front and center in TDKR.

As for the Joker, his character always steals the show in any form of media. Bale's portrayal of Bruce/Batman in TDK is what hold the whole movie together. He balanced out the Heath's loud performance.
Whilst some people may have had a problem with Bane's voice and the fact that whether he could live up to The Joker as a villain, he still stole the show for regular movie goers. The most anticipated character by far was Bane. Most people weren't concerned with how Batman's story concluded, they wanted to see Hardy as Bane. All the great quotable moments in the movie came from Bane just like The Joker had the most quotable lines in TDK. Bane was by far the most interesting character for audiences. For example just look at the Bane thread on this forum which has around 8000 posts whereas the Batman thread only has around 1400.

User avatar
Posts: 6080
Joined: June 2012
Location: Colorado
These movies revolve around Bruce Wayne, which is why people initially fell in love with them. Only on a REALLY superficial level do the stories get stolen by the Joker, Bane, or Catwoman.

User avatar
Posts: 484
Joined: March 2011
I don't think Nolan (or any of the previous directors for that matter) did a good job of making Bruce Wayne a compelling character. The problem is that he isn't much of a character ( I know I'm going to get flamed for this). He's a person we know very little about - aside from a tragedy that occurred in his past, and his alter ego - Batman. Nobody has really gone in depth to explore who Bruce Wayne really is, what makes him tick, who he is as an individual . We never really get to know him that well - we rarely see the human side - and this is a fault of the script, not Christian Bale. The reason the villains tend to 'outshine' him is because they generally have such eccentric / outgoing personalities, whereas Bruce is a rather brooding / introverted person it seems.

But I totally disagree that Bale didn't make an impact in TDKR. He was clearly given the most attention, and it was his story, primarily. I thought they really delved into the emotions of the character this time, and out of the 3 movies, he arguably felt the most human and relatable this time. If you were going to give anyone an award for acting in this movie it's Bale or Tom Hardy and my vote would go for Bale.

User avatar
Posts: 15993
Joined: June 2011
Location: North Carolina
stanley wrote:I don't think Nolan (or any of the previous directors for that matter) did a good job of making Bruce Wayne a compelling character. The problem is that he isn't much of a character ( I know I'm going to get flamed for this). He's a person we know very little about - aside from a tragedy that occurred in his past, and his alter ego - Batman. Nobody has really gone in depth to explore who Bruce Wayne really is, what makes him tick, who he is as an individual . We never really get to know him that well - and this is a fault of the script, not Christian Bale. The reason the villains tend to 'outshine' him is because they generally have such eccentric / outgoing personalities, whereas Bruce is a rather brooding / introverted person it seems.

But I totally disagree that Bale didn't make an impact in TDKR. He was clearly given the most attention, and it was his story, primarily. I thought they really delved into the emotions of the character this time, and out of the 3 movies, he arguably felt the most human and relatable this time. If you were going to give anyone an award for acting in this movie it's Bale or Tom Hardy and my vote would go for Bale.
Rewatch BB dude. Srsly
Sigs???

User avatar
Forum Pro
Law
Posts: 16932
Joined: July 2010
Location: Moonlight Motel
stanley wrote:I don't think Nolan (or any of the previous directors for that matter) did a good job of making Bruce Wayne a compelling character. The problem is that he isn't much of a character ( I know I'm going to get flamed for this). He's a person we know very little about - aside from a tragedy that occurred in his past, and his alter ego - Batman. Nobody has really gone in depth to explore who Bruce Wayne really is, what makes him tick, who he is as an individual . We never really get to know him that well - we rarely see the human side - and this is a fault of the script, not Christian Bale. The reason the villains tend to 'outshine' him is because they generally have such eccentric / outgoing personalities, whereas Bruce is a rather brooding / introverted person it seems.

But I totally disagree that Bale didn't make an impact in TDKR. He was clearly given the most attention, and it was his story, primarily. I thought they really delved into the emotions of the character this time, and out of the 3 movies, he arguably felt the most human and relatable this time. If you were going to give anyone an award for acting in this movie it's Bale or Tom Hardy and my vote would go for Bale.
Have you seen Batman Begins or...

Posts: 1546
Joined: May 2012
Location: Missouri
I dont think he failed to make an impact as Batman at all, in the end the whole trilogy, in my opinion, IS Batman:-) It's his story, his legacy, his journey, all the other characters are wonderful to have and there have been some amazing performances, but in the end it's Batman's story and I think Bale did a great job. I thought a new breath of life was given to Batman's character when Nolan created his background story for BB. Just my thoughts:-)

User avatar
Posts: 484
Joined: March 2011
TehBatGetsBraked wrote:
stanley wrote:I don't think Nolan (or any of the previous directors for that matter) did a good job of making Bruce Wayne a compelling character. The problem is that he isn't much of a character ( I know I'm going to get flamed for this). He's a person we know very little about - aside from a tragedy that occurred in his past, and his alter ego - Batman. Nobody has really gone in depth to explore who Bruce Wayne really is, what makes him tick, who he is as an individual . We never really get to know him that well - and this is a fault of the script, not Christian Bale. The reason the villains tend to 'outshine' him is because they generally have such eccentric / outgoing personalities, whereas Bruce is a rather brooding / introverted person it seems.

But I totally disagree that Bale didn't make an impact in TDKR. He was clearly given the most attention, and it was his story, primarily. I thought they really delved into the emotions of the character this time, and out of the 3 movies, he arguably felt the most human and relatable this time. If you were going to give anyone an award for acting in this movie it's Bale or Tom Hardy and my vote would go for Bale.
Rewatch BB dude. Srsly
I could never connect with Bruce in any of the 3 movies. His motivations were never believable to me, and they didn't do a good enough job making he feel tangible, and relatable. I attribute that partly to the way Nolan writes his stories - and the Batman character himself which, really as a human being we've learned very little about, apart from the fact that his parents died and he's afraid of bats. (But it's up to the writer to fill in those blanks. )

Though in the 3rd I felt the weight and emotion of what he was going through.

User avatar
Posts: 20369
Joined: June 2010
lock

User avatar
Posts: 15474
Joined: June 2010
Location: You're pretty good.
nah

User avatar
Posts: 15993
Joined: June 2011
Location: North Carolina
stanley wrote:
TehBatGetsBraked wrote:
Rewatch BB dude. Srsly
I could never connect with Bruce in any of the 3 movies. His motivations were never believable to me, and they didn't do a good enough job making he feel tangible, and relatable. I attribute that partly to the way Nolan writes his stories - and the Batman character himself which, really as a human being we've learned very little about, apart from the fact that his parents died and he's afraid of bats. (But it's up to the writer to fill in those blanks. )

Though in the 3rd I felt the weight and emotion of what he was going through.
Guess his loving parents being murdered in front of him isn't good motivation to want to make a difference, eh?
Sigs???

Post Reply