Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Truth is, sometimes I miss you so bad I can hardly stand it. - Jack Twist

Brave New World

ryan4butler wrote:Image
I remember seeing those pictures during the summer and I was like so mad they were a huge spoiler.

Thedarknight628 wrote:
ryan4butler wrote:Image
I remember seeing those pictures during the summer and I was like so mad they were a huge spoiler.
Yeah. It's funny looking back at set pictures and now knowing what they are. By the time I saw the movie I forgot about these.
Brave New World

Based on those pics, I imagined that scene playing out way differently.

I remember hearing about a flood scene being shot, which it did, but it didn't turn out the way I imagined it. It's times like these when I ask myself "Is the hype for the Film better than the Film itself?".

BlairCo wrote:I remember hearing about a flood scene being shot, which it did, but it didn't turn out the way I imagined it. It's times like these when I ask myself "Is the hype for the Film better than the Film itself?".

I had to think about that for a second...flood scene....flood scene? Then I got it. You're onto something.

BlairCo wrote:I remember hearing about a flood scene being shot, which it did, but it didn't turn out the way I imagined it. It's times like these when I ask myself "Is the hype for the Film better than the Film itself?".
Yeah I know what you mean. I expected some things to turn out differently or somethings to come at a certain time.

If there's one gripe I've had with Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy it's Batman himself. It's incredible how much of a sidelined character he became, particularly in TDK and TDKR. Heath Ledger completely stole the show as The Joker from Batman and made him look like a secondary character. In Rises Bruce Wayne gets to shine a little more but even here Bane takes the limelight as the villain.

I don't know whether Batman not making much of an impression on fans/audinences of the movies is down to the writing or Christian Bale's performance. When TDK was released he was lambasted over the gruff voice he put on and the emotionless performance he gave. Whilst he was better in TDKR he was still lampooned over the silly bat voice. But even the performances by Bale aside, it's interesting how the two TDK films became more centered around the villains than Batman himself.

You only need to look at recent pop culture to see that there's a massive gap between Batman's popularity and The Joker/Bane's popularity. All the hype for these films were towards the villains, who turned out to be the more interesting characters. This board and TDK board is far more full with interesting discussions on the villains and other characters than Batman.

It's a shame really as I really like Bale as an actor. I think the trilogy as a whole is fantastic but Bale wasn't. I watched the new Bond movie Skyfall the other day and whilst Javier Bardem gave a really edgy villainous performance, Daniel Craig still managed to hold his own and not let Barden steal the show. I think Bale failed to do this and was completely overwhelmed by Hardy/Ledger and even at times Cillian Murphy and Anne Hathaway.

Eh I disagree. I don't think Bane stole the limelight in TDKR. If anything, it was Catwoman (among the new characters) that got the most positive attention. Having said that, IMO, Bruce/Batman was front and center in TDKR.

As for the Joker, his character always steals the show in any form of media. Bale's portrayal of Bruce/Batman in TDK is what hold the whole movie together. He balanced out the Heath's loud performance.