The Dark Knight Rises - No Riddler - LA Times article

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
I come on for the day and there's tons of new information! New title, no Riddler, no 3D, and likely a female lead- wow! That's a lot to take in at once. I'm fine with the title, it sort of goes two, three, four words I guess (although something completely different from the two other titles would've also worked), totally fine with no 3D, and I completely trust Nolan to know what he's doing regarding the villain, although I am a little surprised there won't be a Riddler.

TeddyBlass wrote:My problem with the title is what it does to BATMAN BEGINS. It kinda leaves it in a corner by itself. Also, the title does seem like a bit of a cop-out, but I do like it better than some of things that had been thrown around.
Possibly. But I feel that Batman Begins as a title was itself a compromise. I think that Nolan would've rather not had 'Batman' in the title at all but because he had less power at the time, Warners forced him to put it in there so the public wouldn't be confused about what it was. And of course coming after Batman & Robin they didn't want to take any more risks than they had to.

Batman Begins did exactly what it said on the tin. Wasn't a great name by any means but that didn't stop the film being great. It'll be the same with The Dark Knight Rises.

You know what? I'm actually warming up to the name. It sorta sounds like The Empire Strikes Back :mrgreen:

But I think the best part is that no one would have guessed it. And I think that bodes very well for the film, Nolan's gonna make a movie that no one will expect, And it's gonna be great!
(just think, Dark Knight was completely outta left-field compared to Batman Begins. It'll be the same for TDKR!)

TauHeel05 wrote:I don't think Geoff meant high-definition cameras, rather a higher definition medium such as 65mm, 70mm, and IMAX film formats.
Yeah, I was like WTF? I'm pretty sure it won't go digital esp. if there's no 3D. No point, as Nolan is a film maverick anyway.

I really hope that what you said is what they actually meant. I just imagine them using the big guns at least for a good portion of the movie (I really hope for the whole film, though).

Not crazy about the title, but didn't exactly swoon over "The Dark Knight" nor "Batman Begins" as titles anyway. This seems to provide a foreshadowing that Batman gets redeemed after how TDK ended. Just my two cents on this.

movieman1005 wrote:
TauHeel05 wrote:I don't think Geoff meant high-definition cameras, rather a higher definition medium such as 65mm, 70mm, and IMAX film formats.
Yeah, I was like WTF? I'm pretty sure it won't go digital esp. if there's no 3D. No point, as Nolan is a film maverick anyway.

I really hope that what you said is what they actually meant. I just imagine them using the big guns at least for a good portion of the movie (I really hope for the whole film, though).
Nolan is a film guy, unequivocally.

I meant I really hope that by "high definition cameras" they really meant Imax, 65mm, etc. formats.

Title

May not sound creative, however, it may have a purpose and commercially what is needed. Everyone will now be sure of this is a sequel to The Dark Knight . Every filmmaker needs some advertisement, even the creative ones like Nolan. And it's a title after all. Batman Begins wasn't an awesome title but the movie was.

the Riddler

So the main problem is not the title, in fact it's the absence of the Riddler for those who want to see him in the third movie. However, we all know in Nolanverse, villians are usually not mentioned by their nicknames. Dent didn't come up with a quick idea like "I will name myself...Two-Face!" It was what he was called in GPD. So who is the Riddler in Nolanverse since we are not allowed to name-calling? So the Riddler is the one who discovers the identity of Batman? Isn't he working at Wayne Enterprises? Doesn't he find Wayne's behaviours "embarrasing"? His name is similiar to something like "mystery" or "mysterious"? With the clues were given by Nolan we should have realized that the "Nolanized" Riddler was already there. We had failed to solve the riddle in front of us.
Last edited by Mr.Hmmm on October 27th, 2010, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.