People Seem To Think That The Riddler Is The Joker Mk.2...

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
... but why?

What I mean is, whenever I read fan fictions or people's assumptions of who should play The Riddler, they base them on the character of The Joker. My prime example of this would be Joseph Gordon Levitt's rumored casting as The Riddler. I love JGL and if he wants to go for it then that's cool, but the main reason why some people want him as The Riddler is because he looks like Heath - The Joker.

The thing is, I don't want The Riddler to be ANYTHING LIKE The Joker. Why? Becase Batman vilains are more diverse than that. Look at, say, Scarecrow, in BB. His character wasn't exactly anarchaic or a complete nut job, though I enjoyed Cillian's performance and the character.

Look at Two Face! Was he like The Joker? No! He was a revenge driven, tragic character, and I'm sure we can say that his character was incredible.

So next time you find yourself imagining what the Riddler would be like, think outside the box! Go for character traits that AREN'T sadistic, anarchaic nightmares. The Riddler could be anyone at all!

I'm sure Nolan didn't make the character similar to the Joker

dagn96 wrote:I'm sure Nolan didn't make the character similar to the Joker
We don't know even know whether Riddler's in the film. :eh:

Why people keep saying that the Joker and the Riddler are alike is beyond me? They are nothing like eachother.
Joker=Chaos
Riddler=Control

damn I really wanted the joker to be back and the riddler to be a second villain like two face and scarecrow in the previous movies, this guy is so weak compared to the joker, and I don't say it because of Ledger, in the comics and everything, it's just a pity.
:(
I hope the Nolans do a fine job on this character.

Oh jeez, Batman Begins was an awesome film even without the Joker, we don't need him to make a good movie. The Riddler is the next bad guy that has almost the same amount of popularity as the Joker, he's a good choice IMO.

It all comes down to the writing for the character.

chee wrote:Oh jeez, Batman Begins was an awesome film even without the Joker, we don't need him to make a good movie. The Riddler is the next bad guy that has almost the same amount of popularity as the Joker, he's a good choice IMO.
we are talking about escalation here, is not how awesome was the villain of the bloody film, TDK was the continuation of the story of BB, showing the consequences of what transpired on this movie and soforth, talking about villains we have Ra's al Ghul being the
Maquiavelo type of villain who ultimately seeks balance and justice in his own truth over the lives of people, on TDK the joker was the escalation of that being a far more dangerous criminal, a psychotic terrorist who only believes in anarchy and enjoys absolute chaos, many of this aspects were written long before Nolan got involve with the batman franchise, this in my opinion are probably the top of the top villain types you can get, now considering that the villain of Batman 3 is the riddler I have a hard time thinking how this egocentric and obsessive fella can top Ra's and the Joker as a master criminal, that's why I said I hope they are doing a good job with this character, the way I see it they are gonna have to explore all the intellectual conflicts and challenges against Batman and even more making some - inside your mind thing like Inception kinda stuff, which would be very complicated.

Riddler might just be a side character though, someone else might bring the escalation.