Villains for Batman 3

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
The following villains have officially been ruled out! So please stop speculating...

Joker
Freeze
Riddler
Penguin (There is no direct comment towards penguin but Nolan has often expressed disinterest in the character so I think its safe to rule him out.)

I think we can assume the following won't be in...
Two Face
Ras Al Ghul
Scarecrow
Victor Zsasz

So the pool to choose from contains

Poison Ivy
Harley Quinn
Killer Croc
Man Bat
Clayface
Bane
Calendar Man
Firefly
Hush
Mad Hatter
Clock King
Ventriloquist
Hugo Strange (Am I the only one who rules him out simply because of his name. It's too cliche. I don't think Nolan wants to use a mad scientist named Dr. Strange. Of course he's an evil genius, his name is STRANGE.) The same reason even if he used the riddler I doubt he would have called him Edward Nygma. That's just TOO coincidental. Just my opinion though.

And my most likely candidates go to:
Black Mask
Deadshot
Catwoman

In regards to the possibility of Catwoman, here is a quote from Goyer on that.

"Everyone says it’s got to be the Penguin or Catwoman [in the next film]… well I completely disagree.”
http://www.totalfilm.com/news/no-pengui ... batman-3-1

Goyer said this merely months after TDK's release before they probably even really began to brainstorm about TDKR. So there was no structured concept as of yet. So there was no telling if the story called for catwoman or not. And all he said was he disagrees with the notion that is HAS TO BE penguin or catwoman. And he's right, there are tons of rogues Nolan can use for the next film. Goyer was simply reiterating that fact so people understand that there's more options out there than just Penguin, Catwoman.

aononymity wrote:The following villains have officially been ruled out! So please stop speculating...

Hugo Strange (Am I the only one who rules him out simply because of his name. It's too cliche. I don't think Nolan wants to use a mad scientist named Dr. Strange. Of course he's an evil genius, his name is STRANGE.) The same reason even if he used the riddler I doubt he would have called him Edward Nygma. That's just TOO coincidental. Just my opinion though.
+1 Hugo Strange sounds like something from kim possible.

There are many people with the last name Strange.

I am suddenly reminded of one of Joker's lines: "I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

Inceptic wrote:I am suddenly reminded of one of Joker's lines: "I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"
and we do know batman villains are always prefigured in earlier films:

-bruce wayne uses the phrase 'two-faced' to describe his party guests
- the entire joker reveal at the end
- and if the catwoman/female casting rumor is to be believed, lucius mentions that batman's new suit will do well against cats

this all probably just coincidental, but still... its fun to speculate (maybe nolan does know the villains years in advance! ;) )

aononymity wrote:The following villains have officially been ruled out! So please stop speculating...

Joker
Freeze
Riddler
Penguin (There is no direct comment towards penguin but Nolan has often expressed disinterest in the character so I think its safe to rule him out.)

I think we can assume the following won't be in...
Two Face
Ras Al Ghul
Scarecrow
Victor Zsasz

So the pool to choose from contains

Poison Ivy
Harley Quinn
Killer Croc
Man Bat
Clayface
Bane
Calendar Man
Firefly
Hush
Mad Hatter
Clock King
Ventriloquist
Hugo Strange
Pretty good analysis overall, I personally have this thought that Deadshot and Killer Croc won't appear due to being in Gotham Knight. I know it's not related per se, but that's just my gut feeling about those two. I can see Firefly and Clayface being mooks/minor crazies, Firefly simply a guy in a flame-retardant suit with a flamethrower and Clayface being someone who is simply really good at altering his looks through prosthetics, makeup and the like. They seem the best suited to being underlings, the others seem more suited to being their own people. I'd rule out Man Bat though, that's a bit too far beyond Nolan's 'realistic' take. Unless it turns out Man Bat is not actually half bat at all, but simply some man who is blind and has developed echolocation, possibly sensitive to light as well :P

What I hope to see: Black Mask, Hush, Hugo Strange.
Why I hope to see it: Personally, I want to see Bruce under attack as well as Batman. I also think that separating the two attacks makes more sense in a "more realistic" movie than Black Mask coincidentally having a vendetta against Bruce Wayne as well as Batman. Thus I'd want to see Black Mask capitalising on the disarray of Gotham now that Batman is feared for killing and taking over the organised crime, while Hush makes an attack against Bruce. Obviously there needs to be a reason for Hush to be about, and I think Rachel's death has the potential for being that catalyst. If they were all childhood friends then it might make sense for Thomas Elliot to return after Rachel's death, although I'm sure Nolan could come up with a better concept. Still, easily workable nonetheless. Hugo Strange I'd like to see reworked simply as a police psychologist/profiler who is working to figure out the Batman's identity. As he gets nearer to finding out the identity of Batman, Bruce has to struggle with attacks on all sides and the possibility of his two aspects of his life being tied together publicly. Any loose end with Mr Reese could also be tied into Hugo's plotline. If both other villains cared about Batman I'd love to see the Identity Auction reenacted here, but that itself I think wouldn't work out. Such a thing would, I think, require a movie almost of its own to deal with it.
Why I think it could work: All three of the 'villains' are strictly human and completely within the realm of believability. Hush as a sort of anti-Bruce would be another compelling look at the theme of duality Nolan seems to love so much.
Why I think it won't happen: All three of the villains are essentially completely human with nothing really special about them. Since the Joker's appearance and Scarecrow as well, it feels like there needs to be someone who is a bit "strange", and I don't mean in the Hugo kind of way. Obviously Black Mask fits this and the mob role as well, but that leaves both "freak/odd" villain roles unfulfilled really. I think Hush and Hugo would work, I'm just not certain they'll fit what Nolan has pictured. I have no real reason to dismiss them over any other villain though, this is another gut instinct thing.

What I expect to see: Black Mask, Catwoman
Why I expect to see it: Black Mask covers off both the freak and the mobster element of previous villains, and Catwoman fits into both villain and love interest. Catwoman is obviously a popular pick for villain by the fans, and both villains offer further interesting examinations of duality, which Nolan loves. Additionally, the two villains have existing history with each other to draw on for inspiration if further villain interplay is required.
Why I think it will work: Black Mask obviously has the whole background with Bruce Wayne as well as the hatred for Batman, and is forced to hide his face forever. Catwoman is a love interest who can potentially assiciate with both sides of Bruce's persona, as socialite and as vigilante of the night, particularly if she's reprised as the well-intentioned thief. This understanding of who bruce is and ability to be with him despite the Batman persona is something he's longed for and is clearly evident in Catwoman. Catwoman can easily be introduced if Batman is keeping an eye on Black Mask and she steals from Roman, starting his vendetta attack back on her, which batman would end up intervening in. All sorts of criss-crossing plots and the like.
Problems I foresee with this lineup: As mentioned in the first group, I think that an attack on Bruce as well as Batman needs to be done by separate people or not at all. Black Mask works fine even without the Bruce relationship anyway, so this isn't so much of an issue, but does lose some of that nice interpersonal interplay that I really love to see. Another problem is predictability. Whilst I think Nolan is skilled enough to work around it, the simple fact is that the most popular picks were Riddler, Black Mask and Catwoman, and plenty of people seemed fine with all 3 showing up together. The Black mask/Catwoman pairing seems so obvious that I sort of expect it not to happen even though I expect it to happen, if that makes sense. Finally, I'm not sure what about this particular pairing of villains allows for an opportunity to "rise" again for Batman, unlike my preferred trio, which brings down all aspects of Bruce so he has to overcome them.

Cameo Villains I would like to see in the above scenario: Firefly (arsonist with a flamethrower and a flame suit, no jetpack), Clayface (master of disguise, possibly a mobster mook), Penguin (owner of criminal-frequented nightclub, informant for mob and for police, fairly neutral rendition), Hugo Strange (Police profiler, just an offhand mention would be nice)

Curveball Villain Lineup: Talia al Ghul, Maxie Zeus, Calendar Man
How would it work? It wouldn't, this is the curveball lineup. But if it did, then Talia is in Gotham to settle the score with Bruce over her dead father. Foe, potential love interest and possibly/probably aware of Batman's real identity. Maxie Zeus is the mobster freak, a man addicted to electroshock treatment with a Messanic complex, Bruce perhaps tracks down through use of EST machines in clinics or whatever. Calendar Man serial killer that Batman is trying to track down whilst handling the mob and the police being after him, to showcase the detective side of him.

Just my random musings on potential for villains in TDKR.

I believe no matter who they choose, it's going to affect the comics some how.
Just like: Cerebra in X Men, Bullseye in Daredevil, the uniforms in X Men, the spider web for some time in Spider Man,
the joker in the graphic novel The Joker and some other minors things in others movies.

Hey Ivan, nice to meet you, my name is...well, guess what? :D Anyway...true, even though I don't understand where is Heath inspired Joker out there? Lee Bermejo made his graphic novel before Nolan's movie and Joker was creepily similar to Ledger's, but still...what are they waiting? Psychological-wise, yep, Grant Morisson's current run made him really brutal, in a good way. 8-)

1. Black Mask (mob boss)
2. Catwoman/Dr. Strange
3. New (main) villain created by Christopher Nolan

and maybe Man-Bat (that's right :P )

Does no body know who can play Hugo Strange?
I Know