Sporting Metaphors

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Saw the film for the third time last night and only then noticed the meaning of the football match -- the battle between blue and orange "helmeted" opponents which seems to be directly paralleled to the battle between the figures of authority (not only the "boys in blue" but also the color of the Mayor in his walled-off box) and the orange members of the public.

The color symbolism resurfaces at the end, which shows us much of the revolutionary army dressed up in orange. It's a clever touch (everyone on the playing field is destroyed, although I suppose the public technically wins), and then there was a line at the end which snagged me: when Bruce Wayne goes to Selina Kyle and talks about needing to get "back in the game."

Any other sporting metaphors?

the rouges r yellow u sillypants they made them that way cause da movie was shot in pittsland

Watch for it the next time you see the movie and you'll notice it.

lolwhatisthisthreadeven

orange, yall

trevelyan wrote:Saw the film for the third time last night and only then noticed the meaning of the football match -- the battle between blue and orange "helmeted" opponents which seems to be directly paralleled to the battle between the figures of authority (not only the "boys in blue" but also the color of the Mayor in his walled-off box) and the orange members of the public.

The color symbolism resurfaces at the end, which shows us much of the revolutionary army dressed up in orange. It's a clever touch (everyone on the playing field is destroyed, although I suppose the public technically wins), and then there was a line at the end which snagged me: when Bruce Wayne goes to Selina Kyle and talks about needing to get "back in the game."

Any other sporting metaphors?

yes that looks like orange...

Then the fans are all idiots, wearing the wrong color.

The next time you watch, look at the color of the lights on the walls of the sewer.
Last edited by trevelyan on August 31st, 2012, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trevelyan wrote:Then the fans are all idiots, wearing the wrong color.
Who was wearing orange? :eh:
Brave New World

trevelyan wrote:Then the fans are all idiots, wearing the wrong color.

The next time you watch, look at the color of the lights on the walls of the sewer.
Oh my god :facepalm:

Dudes, I'm making this claim from memory, not some digital copy of the film on my laptop.

I don't particularly care if anyone wants to call it yellow or orange. But if you look at the shots of the crowd in the stadium (photos please), the color you see is exactly the same as the color of the lamps lighting the walls as the cops march into the sewers (photos please). It's possible that this color doesn't map exactly to the color of the costumes on the playing field, but the general color contrast is -- I believe -- there.

Or maybe I'm wrong. But it's worth thinking about and anyone with an ounce of experience with film-making should find the deliberate cross-cutting between the visuals of the stadium and the visuals of the sewers interesting if the colors actually map up. As should the stressed visual emphasis on the helmets, as should the fact that the Mayor (walled off in a private box away from the public) is associated with the color blue rather than the color of the people in the stadium. And the way we have Bane waiting for "kick-off" to start blowing things up and lines like Batman's about getting "back in the game."