Sporting Metaphors

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
You got me at the "anyone with an ounce of filmmaking" statement. What purpose would it serve Nolan to do this color coordination? How would it serve the story or the audience experience? Is it symbolism? If so, what point does it have?

banepants wrote:You got me at the "anyone with an ounce of filmmaking" statement. What purpose would it serve Nolan to do this color coordination? How would it serve the story or the audience experience? Is it symbolism? If so, what point does it have?
:lol:
Brave New World

Maybe the color contrast might matter in a film about class conflict and revolution, and in which Bane's army consists of shoe-shiners and floor-cleaners and other members of the working poor. And perhaps the sporting reference emphasizes the points we see made elsewhere: that the revolutionaries and the authorities may be on "different teams", but are moral equivalents playing the same game. And that we are to view them as equals: repressive and unjust organizations whose "structures" turn into "shackles" on the city.

This is one of the main points of the book A Tale of Two Cities, which is damning not only of the violence unleashed in the French Revolution, but also of the inequality, corruption and violence of the society which preceded it and which made revolution a "necessary evil". So when Charles Dickens writes about the wicked Batman sacrificing his life at the end so that benighted aristocrat Bruce Wayne can live (see what I did there?), the act ushers in visions of a peaceful city which is able to move beyond class conflict through this act of sacrifice:
I see the lives for which I lay down my life, peaceful, useful, prosperous and happy... It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.
I could go on, but why bother? I would bet a small fortune that none of the people posting skeptical emoticons mocking a genuine attempt to open a discussion here have ever even read A Tale of Two Cities, and wouldn't see a literary or cinematic reference if it "rose up" and bit them on the ass.

Since you are being such a Nippledick McDouchenozzle, I'm going to give you a legitimate response to shut you up.

The only reason the Gotham Rogues were given the colors of black and yellow was because much of the film was shot in Pittsburgh, and the football sequence was shot at Heinz Field, home of the Pittsburgh Steelers. If you look at all the major sports teams in Pittsburgh, you will notice a trend:

They all use black and a shade of yellow.

Nolan gave Gotham Pittsburgh's colors as a gift to the city for letting them shoot there.

As for your comment about how you still say the Rogues are orange because that's how you totes remember it, just click this link. Under Armour, who designed the uniforms for the Rogues (and I'd assume the Monuments), are selling a replica version of the Rogues jersey in their shop. The color listed; Steeltown Gold. I don't know about you, but that sounds like a fancy name for yellow.

I'm not saying that Nolan didn't intend any symbolism between the football game and the rest of the story, but there is no way he was as exacting as you are claiming. Here is the thing about most filmmakers; most of that "symbolism" some film "analysts" find in, say, the color of the coffee mug sitting second from the left in a series of coffee mugs in the background of a shot in which characters aren't even drinking coffee, is a load of bullshit. The cutting between the lights and the Rogues game was likely done the way it was done just to look pretty, and to make sure the sequence flowed well visually.

banepants wrote:What purpose would it serve Nolan to do this color coordination?
Exactly. Nolan is colorblind ^

In case you missed the memo, I honestly don't care whether you call that color yellow or orange. Nor does it bother me to be called a douchebag by someone whose instinctive response to the idea that an English major might use color symbolism is hostile incredulity. And if you want to beat me up on what I think about the movie, the place to do it is here where I state what I believe and why:

http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... 33&t=11588

I started this thread because I was curious if anyone noticed any sporting metaphors in the film, and pointed out some evidence as to why it might matter. You think this is silly? Fine. And if you want to write that off as a coincidence good for you. But if you think this gives you the right to call me or anyone else on this board dumb you can go and **** yourself. Frankly, it's entirely possible the consistency in colors is not making an intellectual point, and in the absence of more than one explicit reference to class conflict as a sporting match I'd be inclined not to stress the point.

That said, I don't see much doubt that Bane's army is associated with the yellow/orange section of the color spectrum. These colors are associated with everything from the walkway in his lair to the uniforms of the criminals he busts out of jail, not to mention the fire imagery which is linked to his revolution (notice the fire burning in his lair when they bring Gordon down there? I did.) If you think this is all a big wet kiss to the Pittsburgh Steelers power to you. But since a lot of this symbolism dates back long before anyone was thinking of Pittsburgh and the authority figures in the film are associated with the color of the opposing team, I don't think it is really a stretch to ask if there are any other sports metaphors that might link the battle to the football game.

Nolan had the Steelers play the Rogues.

He left Hines Ward's name and number.

He made the color scheme of the Rogues basically the same as the Steelers.

He didn't have the CGI team go in and rename Heinz Field.

He chose the Rogues color scheme as a nod to the city he shot in and out of convenience (all those extras are more likely to already have black and yellow garb as they are from Pittsburgh). The city of Pittsburgh is very attached to those two colors. There's even that really fucking popular rap song about it.

I can just about 100% guarantee that the genesis of the Rogues being black and yellow did not spring from some desire to make a thematic point.

And I called you a Nippledick McDouchenozzle because that is what you are:
I would bet a small fortune that none of the people posting skeptical emoticons mocking a genuine attempt to open a discussion here have ever even read A Tale of Two Cities, and wouldn't see a literary or cinematic reference if it "rose up" and bit them on the ass.

Let me make this as simple as I can:

The question is whether Nolan intends us to view the football match as a metaphor for anything, like the CLASS CONFLICT that is the central theme of the book on which the film is based.

The color symbolism is interesting, and is consistent with earlier films.

And there is some evidence apart from the color symbolism that this may be the case.

But perhaps this is a coincidence.

I'm looking for sports metaphors in order to make up my mind.

Is this Talli?

The stupidity is very familiar.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.