Sporting Metaphors

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
trevelyan wrote:Ha ha ha. Yes Nelson, because God forbid football could ever be used as a metaphor for social conflict. Or that Nolan might have picked the sport over baseball, basketball, hockey or the countless other options which would have been logistically easier to shoot because the visuals would feed into a broader point. Maybe the logistics of the Heinz field shoot was a factor in picking Pittsburgh over Chicago, or perhaps he just got lucky and decided to work the colors into the overarching color scheme of his script by making the other team blue one he had something in the yellow-orange gradient.

You seriously think Christopher Nolan is a less sophisticated director than Kevin Costner? You're an idiot.

Frankly, if you had half the wit and the brains to engage in this debate (which was actually a search for NON-VISUAL evidence which might support or contradict the question before you charged in with your 4th grade reading comprehension), you'd be pointing out inconsistencies in any of the various interpretations suggested by citing evidence from the film rather than claiming things don't exist until they suddenly become so obvious they must be upgraded in your limited self-awareness to coincidences. The former is how real analysis and interpretation is done and it is what separates actual film discussion from the retrograde slop that passes for anything on this forum.

I've put my beliefs out there, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that you think they are dumb -- I'll take that as a compliment. Because as far as I can see it, not only do you NOT understand The Dark Knight Rises (and by extension the last two Batman films). But you don't have a clue about Inception and probably not the Prestige either. And that makes you a figure of pity.
Objectively, Nelson is a much better human being than you. And so am I.

trevelyan wrote:Yes. I support myself by being educated.
u shood have stuk wif yo 1st post. it was much moar full of ouchies.

I've had my say and am going to screw off elsewhere.

Thank you for the lovely discussion gentlemen. It was actually a bit of a pleasure, although the shooting sitting ducks thing gets old rather fast.

trevelyan wrote:I've had my say and am going to screw off elsewhere.

Thank you for the lovely discussion gentlemen. It was actually a bit of a pleasure, although the shooting sitting ducks thing gets old rather fast.
You are a true gentleman, filled with humility and a natural likeability. Even an educated chap like you surely cannot find the words to describe his own charisma, not that a true man like you would even do such a thing.

trevelyan wrote:I've had my say and am going to screw off elsewhere.

You're leaving? This calls for a celebration!

In the comic books, Gotham City has a wide-variety of sports teams. Two baseball teams: the "Gotham Knights" and the "Gotham Griffins." A Basketball team: the "Gotham Guardsman." An Ice Hockey team called "The Gotham Blades." They even have two football teams called the "Gotham Wildcats" and "Gotham Knights." For the movie they decided to create a new football team. They took the name "Gotham Rogues" based on the name of Batman's core group of villains nicknamed the "Rogues Gallery." This also presented the costume designers with a unique challenge: dressing the players, coaches and fans. "We actually had to invent an entire football team for Gotham," said costume supervisor Dan Grace, "with uniforms that looked completely authentic and believable. We were very proud, in the end, to have created costumes for an entire football team, coaches, and twelve thousand extras

I think the whole football scene is intended to show the end of the simulation of battle (footbal) with a real one. It is also shown with collapse of the field and blowing up the authority. Football, as I understand, must mean political rivalry (for example, republicans vs dems). When the real revolutioners step in (Bane) - there is no more place for civilized competition.