Are your friends torn on TDKR?

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Big Bad Harv wrote:
DKnight007 wrote:I like Burtons first film.

Batman Returns is a polarizing one it seems. It had a chance to be great IMO...but Burton chose to film on sound stages? Ugh....which well looked like they filmed on soundstages and the action was not great. The film was too whimsical for me. My wife though loves Burtons whimsical films and she loved Pfeiffers Catwoman.

Pfeiffer as Catwoman was great, but her origin was terrible and ill conceived IMO.
Burton's interpretation of both Catwoman and Penguin worked because they were as grotesquely absurd as his Gotham was a nightmare world -- or, to quote the great Bob Kane, "like Hell rising up through the concrete." Somehow a fat man-monster disowned by his parents and sent into the bowels of the Gotham sewer system, where his deformities would mirror those of his feathered friends, didn't seem out of place. The same goes for Catwoman: killed by her megalomaniacal boss, she returns from the dead in pure Frankensteinian form -- her outfit bearing overtly white stitch patterns showing that she "sewed herself anew" makes the motif that much darker. Both of their origins are inconceivable in the world of reality, but Burton's Batman universe so borders on the nightmarish that they just fit without question, really. The action was decent, but I also personally love that most of the film was done on sound stages, in much the same way the Golden Age films noirs were constructed around the "city of the imagination." And to think that Nolan would use Pinewood Studios in London to film some scenes in his Batman trilogy goes to show just how influential Burton's two films were to later films.

I didn't like Burtons Penguin origin either. The soundstages just looked to fake for me. Don't know wht Burton went from filming at Pinewood in the first Bat film to using mostly LA soundstages to film Returns. I would prefer to see more set/location shooting like what Nolan did with his series. Granted he did use Cardington for soundstage work, but most was location shooting.

Seeing Penguin in Nolans Bat films as a possible 2nd tier villian (like Scarecrow) as a shady club owner/arms dealer would have been perfect. Bob Hoskins would have been perfect as Penguin in a Nolan Bat film.

my friend thinks its the best film in the trilogy, I think its the weakest.
Why you lurking my page brah?

Most of my friends and family who have seen it, say they thought it was either the best film of the trilogy or the 2nd best behind TDK.

They said it just had a more grand and epic feel and tone than Batman Begins. Some said Begins tailed off in the 3rd act where TDKR got stronger from the 2nd to 3rd act.

I agreed.

all of the people i know who have seen it love but place it behind the dark knight except my brother that like this one more :P

My friends haven't even seen it :problem:

They all love it.

Me and my uncle went today. He went in with "open" expectations- but he seemed like a negative nancy. Turns out he really liked it. He has it at 8.75/10.00
Sigs???

Went with my friends last night, they had the same reactions as I did and both gave it a 10/10.

My friends loved it, all of them had pretty much the exact same view on it as me actually - while The Dark Knight is about sustained tension, this starts off a little slow and sloppy but has some great moments and builds into an amazing climax.