(Spoilers) Alternate theory on logistics of end

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
So, watching the ending for the second time today, I noticed something, when we cut to Batman in a cockpit (or so it seems?) we see absolutely no daylight whatsoever. This made me happy, I'm completely fine with Bruce surviving but the shot of him in the cockpit was driving me nuts, Nolan wouldn't have just undermined film time and had it been from a minute ago, that's everything the meticulous Nolan is against. So, instead of a simple ejection, we've all had to resort to theories regarding a second bat, and a third...

But there's no daylight! Not only does this give opportunity, it's downright odd for the bat considering hop open it is, previous shots we can see daylight is visible through every possible view around him. So...

Maybe he did just eject and he's in a tumbler. Thoughts? I know this is lazy cuz Bruce never uses a tumbler in the film, but the 2nd bat thing is bonkers, within the editing as is it makes no sense. I hoped to see an opening for it to happen today, but it just isn't there. There's something slightly sloppy about it all no matter what, the tumbler seems at least believable.

The only thing I could think of in this scene was the various moments in Batman Year One where says to himself, "This would be a good death."

What happened after that is anyone's guess.

Going with the ejection theory, I think Batman ejected just after firing the missile to blow up the building... after that it is on,auto pilot.

Soap141 wrote:The only thing I could think of in this scene was the various moments in Batman Year One where says to himself, "This would be a good death."

Going with the ejection theory, I think Batman ejected just after firing the missile to blow up the building... after that it is on,auto pilot.
Yes, the issue is with the shot where he's in the cockpit almost 2 seconds before the blast, but perhaps he could be in the cockpit just by itself

dustbust5 wrote:
Soap141 wrote:The only thing I could think of in this scene was the various moments in Batman Year One where says to himself, "This would be a good death."

Yes, the issue is with the shot where he's in the cockpit almost 2 seconds before the blast, but perhaps he could be in the cockpit just by itself
Yeah, I know what you mean. It could be just editing technique by Nolan who clearly wanted to give the audience 5 minutes to feel the emotion of Bruce dying. If he didn't show Batman seconds before the blast it would not havr had the same effect. In fact we probably would have been waiting for the true ending.

The problem with ejecting just before the blast is that it is stated that there is a 6 mile blast radius. He got out over the water with 1 minute to go before detonation. Meaning, he would have had to take that bomb out 6 miles plus eject in 1 minute.

Superman swooped in and saved Batman at the end : :P

Skyab23 wrote:The problem with ejecting just before the blast is that it is stated that there is a 6 mile blast radius. He got out over the water with 1 minute to go before detonation. Meaning, he would have had to take that bomb out 6 miles plus eject in 1 minute.
Hence ejecting during the explosion of that one Gotham building, it works...

Personally, I don't believe he ejected at all. As you can tell from the blast, the bomb does not go off in the air, it goes off in the water. Therefore, it is my belief that Bruce just drops the bomb in the water, that would allow him to stay in the bat the whole time. Also from looking at the blast in the movie, for that blast to have had a 6 mile blast radius, it would have had to been 100+ miles away from Blake's point of view. In order for Bruce to have gotten that bomb that far out, the bat would have had to fly at 50 miles per minute, or around 3,000 miles per hour. Unless, and a much more likely scenario, the bomb goes off underwater caused it to have a much smaller blast radius, thus causing the blast to look further away, thus giving Bruce time to fly off.

ajgoodfella7 wrote:Personally, I don't believe he ejected at all. As you can tell from the blast, the bomb does not go off in the air, it goes off in the water. Therefore, it is my belief that Bruce just drops the bomb in the water, that would allow him to stay in the bat the whole time. Also from looking at the blast in the movie, for that blast to have had a 6 mile blast radius, it would have had to been 100+ miles away from Blake's point of view. In order for Bruce to have gotten that bomb that far out, the bat would have had to fly at 50 miles per minute, or around 3,000 miles per hour. Unless, and a much more likely scenario, the bomb goes off underwater caused it to have a much smaller blast radius, thus causing the blast to look further away, thus giving Bruce time to fly off.
It's a theory, but they're really seems to be by and large no visuals of the bomb getting dropped, and the autopilot is made such a big deal.

A writer in the "Plot Holes" thread points out that, in the final shot of Batman in the Bat, "Batman's mask reflect a series of shadows he's traveling past, presumably other buildings cast upon him whilst in some sort of ejected pod, but impossible if he were actually in the Bat. this was an incredibly clever touch and something people completely missed watching the 1st time."

Any possible reflections was exactly what I was (and am) going to closely watch for when I see the film a second time in a few days. I was at a midnight show Friday (starting Thursday) and as soon as I started thinking about when that shot comes in the film, I knew I had to check for reflections (if any) to give me an idea to where Bruce really is at that time.