Tone

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Did anyone else find the tone unexpected? The actual events of the film, before the end, were very dark and serious, just like the dark knight, but there was something about the tone of the movie that was not like that at all. Something very comic bookish. I don't know, it's hard to describe. Looking back on it, I think the breakneck speed of the story has a lot to do with it.

dustbust5 wrote:Did anyone else find the tone unexpected? The actual events of the film, before the end, were very dark and serious, just like the dark knight, but there was something about the tone of the movie that was not like that at all. Something very comic bookish. I don't know, it's hard to describe. Looking back on it, I think the breakneck speed of the story has a lot to do with it.
With a little more reflection, I think it comes from a bit of a forced, inorganic feeling. Everything was so tight in Begins and TDK. In this film, there's a sense they're squeezing things in as opposed to everything just being organic, which makes it feel less real. Anyone agree?

dustbust5 wrote:
dustbust5 wrote:Did anyone else find the tone unexpected? The actual events of the film, before the end, were very dark and serious, just like the dark knight, but there was something about the tone of the movie that was not like that at all. Something very comic bookish. I don't know, it's hard to describe. Looking back on it, I think the breakneck speed of the story has a lot to do with it.
With a little more reflection, I think it comes from a bit of a forced, inorganic feeling. Everything was so tight in Begins and TDK. In this film, there's a sense they're squeezing things in as opposed to everything just being organic, which makes it feel less real. Anyone agree?
I'm going to agree with that.

YourLiberation123 wrote:
dustbust5 wrote:
As am I. I think there was probably a lot more to the story, but the film was already pretty long with 2 hours and 45 minutes. I also got a different vibe from this compared to the last two. I'm not quit sure what it was. I agree, it was a bit more comic bookish, but then, it was 8 years off of TDK, so maybe all that wouldn't be comic bookish in the future? Blowing up football fields, repairing his knee with some tech brace, etc. I think I'm getting this vibe because it wasn't exactly a Batman film. I don't really know how to explain it.

Yup. Things were incredibly bleak even more so than the last and yet at the same time this felt like the most comic bookish of all the films. Characters go through the whole exile thing and some people are even getting hanged.

mratm23 wrote:
YourLiberation123 wrote:
As am I. I think there was probably a lot more to the story, but the film was already pretty long with 2 hours and 45 minutes. I also got a different vibe from this compared to the last two. I'm not quit sure what it was. I agree, it was a bit more comic bookish, but then, it was 8 years off of TDK, so maybe all that wouldn't be comic bookish in the future? Blowing up football fields, repairing his knee with some tech brace, etc. I think I'm getting this vibe because it wasn't exactly a Batman film. I don't really know how to explain it.
I think the brace thing is sort of the moment that encapsulates it. Begins staked itself on explaining everything in a realistic manner, and two movies later we're sort of just accepting that he has borderline magic health equipment. I enjoyed the whole theme of batman physically vs. batman in spirit, but the two times that he heals absurdly quick from seemingly deabilitatingly injuries kind of seem to be the opposite of what this series staked itself on.

dustbust5 wrote:
Sadly yes

Yes. But it makes sense (in a stretch) for the story to end with a comic book vibe — Batman had become a fabled legend.

mratm23 wrote:As am I. I think there was probably a lot more to the story, but the film was already pretty long with 2 hours and 45 minutes. I also got a different vibe from this compared to the last two. I'm not quit sure what it was. I agree, it was a bit more comic bookish, but then, it was 8 years off of TDK, so maybe all that wouldn't be comic bookish in the future? Blowing up football fields, repairing his knee with some tech brace, etc. I think I'm getting this vibe because it wasn't exactly a Batman film. I don't really know how to explain it.
Yeah. I remember a thread talking about this film's use of futuristic technology and how it would make it less grounded and closer to the source material.
Last edited by JONATHAN3D on July 21st, 2012, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It does feel pretty fast paced, almost as if they're trying to rush to the third act.

I'm starting to think the IMAX cutoff is the reason why, there's a very strict cutoff for IMAX runtime