Your Thoughts On the "Dark Knight" Trilogy

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Batman Begins - 8/10
The Dark Knight - 9/10
The Dark Knight Rises - 8.5/10

lest anyone think i'm low-balling these, i consider 9/10 a very high score as TDK is one of my favorite movies ever. i'm a big film buff and i'd probably only give my Top 5 movies (1. The Sacrifice by Tarkovsky, 2. 2001: A Space Odyssey by Kubrick, 3. In the Mood for Love by Kar-Wai. 4. The Passion of Joan of Arc by Dreyer, 5. 8 1/2 by Fellini) perfect 10s.

i think as a trilogy Nolan's films form a very cohesive arc with an involving origin story, a classic middle chapter, and a pretty satisfying conclusion that connects back in a lot of ways to the first film but opening up the scale and having the emotional and circumstantial stakes greatly increased by what happened in the second film. to me there is absolutely no question that The Dark Knight is the best film of the three but the other two are both very good, with TDKR bordering on great.

BB- 7 out of 10
TDK- 10 out of 10 (in my top 10 of all time)
TDKR- 9.5 out of 10

I am a longtime lurker and have been a member for a few months. I haven't participated much in regards to contributing my input to the threads. Although I really enjoy the opportunity to read all of your comments. It has made this past year and a half following this truly great ending to a brilliant perspective of the Batman.
I have always been a fan of Christopher Nolan's films and very intrigued by the way he tells a story. The first movie a saw of his was insomnia. And I can't tell you how cool I thought that movie was. Because it was difficult to "label" a horror film, murder mystery, drama, etc. It had so many layers to it along with a great cast. Robin Williams, Al Pacino?? Come on, that movie had all the components it needed to be a great story.
When Batman Begins was about to premiere, it was at the same time as Star Wars ep 3 was also. Well, I have been a life-long fan of the Star Wars saga. And it was a great time for the S.W. following. Although it was a great movie, it lacked what it really needed. And that was to bring Qui Gon back to explain the "force ghost", and the "afterlife of the Jedi and the concept of communicating thru the force." In the official book for ep 3 Qui Gonn returned and presented himself to yoda thru the force. In the original series ep 4,5,6 Obi Wan returning after Vader struck him down so he could "become more powerful" was the whole selling point of the force. Well in order to follow the book and tell a great story, he really needed to bring Neeson back as Qui Gonn to do this. For whatever reason, Lucas didn't and for me the ending of a journey for a awesome story was cheated. That is exactly how I felt leaving from the midnight showing at 4am in the morning. Cheated.
All he needed Neeson for was a couple of hours, just like Nolan needed. But for whatever reason, it didn't happen and the movie suffered for it. Now some say it was Neeson wanted to much cash, some say it was because he was filming Begins. But, all he needed was a few hours. Actors are not in prison, they can leave for a day or so or whatever. And I'm sure Nolan may have allowed it for something as epic as that. However, it never happened.
Well, a month after ep 3 debuted. Begins came out and it showed the world a whole new way to look at a superhero that didn't have any "super-powers" like Superman. He wasn't a mutant. He was a plain ordinary man. That chose to be a super-hero. And for me, that is why the Batman is my favorite. He took a terrible event that happened in his life and made himself into something Extraordinary. Never asking anything in return. To me that is what a true "super-hero" is. That is a simply heroic concept, and being a 20 yr veteran firefighter/paramedic that way to be and carry yourself is motivation to do the things we have to. The terrible things we see that "happen" to others is difficult to understand and deal with. Especially, when a child is involved. So for me to make the past 20yrs and maintain my sanity. I chose a symbol, a story to motivate me to get thru the "bad-times." I chose The Batman.
I was let-down by ep 3 somewhat, then a month later I saw Begins and I was energized. The way Nolan told the story, I thought was brilliant. When I found out that the guy who did insomnia was doing Batman. I thought, well this is going to be interesting. Needless to say, it was. Begins was a great movie and a awesome way to start this story. It had so many great parts and storylines to it that it was difficult to figure out what was my favorite. Until my dad passed away 6 months later. Then I knew, what that part was to be. And that was when a young Jim Gordon, chose to put his "coat around a little boy after he watched his parents brutally murdered" right before his eyes. Seeing that during that specific time in my life, I started to watch and wait for how Nolan would answer.
When The Dark Knight came out, I was at the midnight showing. Then I watched it again. I loved it! How he did that movie was pure genius. How all of the actors handled themselves after Heath Ledger passed for me was pure strength. As they are co-workers just like us but you become very close with co-workers sometime. Clearly they all did.
After TDK, I wanted more and now. So the past 4yrs have been a roller coaster ride that I enjoyed being apart of. Initially, Nolan wasn't going to do a follow up. But we all knew that was garbage. He was bargaining and I have no issue with that at all. The man tells a story in a specific way that I perceive as brilliance. As I use stories, symbols, whatever all the time for motivation. The way he has told the story of Batman in his specific perception is nothing other that pure genius. And it will give me the motivation to continue on with my following chapters of my life. He made Batman one of us, he made him so believable that anyone of us could be a super-hero. Granted in the story Bruce was a billionaire, but living in a world where so much bad happens. It wouldnt take a billionaire to be a superhero. A hero can be anybody that chooses to do something extraordinary for others based off a terrible occurrence in their own life. Instead of blaming others or wanting revenge, maybe choosing to do something good for somebody else would be so much more rewarding than watching somebody else hurt because they hurt you.
I am by no means a saint, I am flawed just like everybody else. But it helps me deal with the bad that I see to others everyday.
So, with that all said in this final film. I had a few things I required from Mr Nolan for his story to be my personal favorite and not feel cheated again like Mr Lucas chose to do. My specific list was:
1. Seeing Ra's Al Ghul. I required this in some shape of fashion. Because Mr. Nolan said this story would come "full circle." CHECK
2. Robin. In some way shape or fashion I needed it to have something about Robin. They included the character Cat-Women(didn't refer to her as the CW but she was in there) because the character "is such an iconic figure in the Batman universe" according to brother Jonathon Nolan. Well so is Robin. CHECK
3. My last criteria and requirement of Mr. Nolan for my own personal favorite Trilogy to be his Batman story. I absolutely required him to in some way acknowledge the moment little Bruce and young Jim Gordon shared when Gordon "chose to put a coat around a little boy after watching his parents murdered." For me, That is why I went to see the movie. So when my wish was granted, I cried unlike I have since my own dad passed. It was such a subtle mention but it happened and it made the movie truly Epic.Along with making this whole trilogy Epic. In my humble perspective.
Well since the early hours of Friday morning, I havent been back to see the film again. I will let all the hype slow down a bit and hopefully get to see it for the last time in an IMAX essentially alone. And Ill wait the whole film again for when I see that part, and I'll think of my dad and all the things I miss of him. Then I'll rise up with the motivation that I need to finish up this last chapter in my career as a firefighter/paramedic.
Thank you very much for letting me join your little community and having me. I have truly enjoyed every second of this journey with all of you. So, until the reboot.
"It's not what is underneath, but what you DO that defines you." Godspeed. :batman:

Proberly been posted already. Amazing none the less.

Batman Begins - 8.5/10
The Dark Knight - 9/10
The Dark Knight Rises - 9.5/10

I guess I'm the only one who liked TDKR over TDK.

BB-9/10
TDK-10/10
TDKR-10/10
Brave New World

I enjoyed TDKR and will probably enjoy it even more when I have the chance to see it again. However one area where I feel the film falls short is in it's appeal to those who were not die-hard fans of the first two movies.

I've recommended the first two movies to many folks who don't consider themselves to be batman/superhero fans and they usually found the films to be engaging and enjoyable. This film is just soooo long and so rooted in the other two movies that I can't recommend the film to my friends who aren't already excited about it. I fully expected to go to the midnight screening with friends and be back later in the weekend to see it again with my wife. Not only do I not find myself interested in seeing the film again anytime soon I honestly can't drag my wife to the film knowing it's almost 3 hours of references she will not understand. This is the same reason I didn't go to see any of the recent Harry Potter movie: not having read the books I just felt alienated from what happened in the films and gave up on them.

I had hoped that this would be another story that I could share with friends and family but I think this one is just for those of us that followed the other two amazing films.

...let hate begin.
Last edited by jazz-guitarist on July 23rd, 2012, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jazz-guitarist wrote:I enjoyed TDKR and will probably enjoy it even more when I have the chance to see it again. However one area where I feel the film falls short is in it's appeal to those who were not die-hard fans of the first two movies.

I've recommended the first two movies to many folks who don't consider themselves to be batman/superhero fans and they usually found the films to be engaging and enjoyable. This film is just soooo long and so rooted in the other two movies that I can't recommend the film to my friends who aren't already excited about it. I fully expected to go to the midnight screening with friends and be back later in the weekend to see it again with my wife. Not only do I not find myself interested in seeing the film again anytime soon I honestly can't drag my wife to the film knowing it's almost 3 hours of references she will not understand. This is the same reason I didn't go to see any of the recent Harry Potter movie: not having read the books I just felt alienated from what happened in the films and gave up on them.

I had hoped that this would be another story that I could share with friends and family but I think this one is just for those of us that followed the other two amazing films.
I know TDKR was rooted in BB and TDK but at my screening some people didn't see the previouse two movies and didn't want to and were on the edge of their seat. Its a masterpiece which is 3 hours long but is fun too.
Brave New World

A Great Trilogy and one of the Best and Finest.
BB 8/10
TDK 10/10
TDKR 9/10
And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig

The greatest trilogy of all times, I'm extremely proud that I actually witnessed it as it unfolded.