NF Reviews/Reactions Only

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Just came back from a midnight screening in my country... I think it deserves another watch prior any hardheartedness from me, considering all the time investment and sympathy I nurtured for all the things that involved this movie since it's announcement, but for the time being I'm very disappointed.

On second thoughts, and in accumulating the scenes which made me face-palm, I've taken my rating from 7 to 6 out of 10. Most ambitious of the trilogy, but the most baffling. Simple editing errors, poor plot-choices, too many logical fallicies and hammy acting are inexcusable.

http://www.thedisabledcubicle.com/the-d ... rises-2012

ComptonTerry wrote: I think Anne stole the whole first act. I still wish she had a few more scenes in the second act. Oh well though. Yeah all the problems I had with it diminished after the second time and I'm really psyched for the third Saturday.
I absolutely agree! I thought her performance would be good, but Nolan was right, she was just PERFECT for the role!!
Big Bad Harv wrote:
Skyab23 wrote:Just got back from my 3rd screening and 2nd in IMAX, and I liked it more the 3rd time than the previous two. I caught even more little nuances that are difficult to catch because of the pace of the editing. While I still have some problems with the film, the pros overwhelmingly outweigh the cons. This was an overall fitting way to say goodbye to Nolan's Batman trilogy. I now have the film at an 8.5 overall, up from the original 6-7 range that I had from my first couple of viewings.
Glad to see that you of all people (not an insult but an observation) budged a little after subsequent viewings. Not that I didn't respect the opinion you held the first time you saw it, but I noticed you stood strong with the view that it had more plot holes and editing problems than overall positives. It's my theory that a lot of folks on here came out from the second (or third) viewing with the impression that many of us got from the initial viewing. I saw it again today as well and was just as taken by its grandeur as I was last Friday. I still haven't been able to write up anything substantial yet, but I'm getting close to that point.
I feel that way too 8-)

I simply don't get people complains, a movie has never met my expectations before TDKR, and I'm very happy about it! I love the plot holes because they're there to let you imagine whatever you want next and it makes it all the better 8-)

thedisabledcubicle wrote:On second thoughts, and in accumulating the scenes which made me face-palm, I've taken my rating from 7 to 6 out of 10. Most ambitious of the trilogy, but the most baffling. Simple editing errors, poor plot-choices, too many logical fallicies and hammy acting are inexcusable.

I liked your review and think it's a fair one, but I don't completely agree with large parts of it, if that makes sense. It's not that you're off base, but I also think much of what you find fault with about have been issues in all three films. It's just the nature of the material. What I will say about it is that Nolan wasn't as effective in his use and explanation of many of these plot devices. As much as I like the ending to this film, I can't deny that towards the end there's a lot that got shoehorned in and it felt forced. I would have loved to see more out of Talia after she revealed herself. To hear more of her and her Dad.

I gave this film an 8 out of 10. Very satisfying experience but has more flaws than the previous installments. I just think it tries to do too much. I don't want to see this version of Batman continue after Nolan. If they want to use Levitt in the role, it needs to be in a reboot and as Bruce Wayne. The world has become too constrained over three movies and I want a new creative team to have all the villains at their disposal, and to have the Batman that we all love.

Robbman wrote:
thedisabledcubicle wrote:On second thoughts, and in accumulating the scenes which made me face-palm, I've taken my rating from 7 to 6 out of 10. Most ambitious of the trilogy, but the most baffling. Simple editing errors, poor plot-choices, too many logical fallicies and hammy acting are inexcusable.

I liked your review and think it's a fair one, but I don't completely agree with large parts of it, if that makes sense. It's not that you're off base, but I also think much of what you find fault with about have been issues in all three films. It's just the nature of the material. What I will say about it is that Nolan wasn't as effective in his use and explanation of many of these plot devices. As much as I like the ending to this film, I can't deny that towards the end there's a lot that got shoehorned in and it felt forced. I would have loved to see more out of Talia after she revealed herself. To hear more of her and her Dad.

I gave this film an 8 out of 10. Very satisfying experience but has more flaws than the previous installments. I just think it tries to do too much. I don't want to see this version of Batman continue after Nolan. If they want to use Levitt in the role, it needs to be in a reboot and as Bruce Wayne. The world has become too constrained over three movies and I want a new creative team to have all the villains at their disposal, and to have the Batman that we all love.
Gah, it's more likely a 6.5 out of 10. I really need to watch it again, I think. I might find a bootleg. The quality will be poor, but it'll help me to piece it back together again.

I liked the idea of JGL taking up the mantle and somehow combining Robin with Nightwing and Azrael, but I agree that Nolan's Gotham has become so full and so final that I can't see it happening again. How can a film top anarchy and a nuclear bomb? Especially with a new Batman who would be learning the ropes?
Maybe they could do a spin-off. Selina and Blake in Bludhaven, but I just don't see it getting as much widespread recognition without Gotham and a major villain.
There's still Riddler, Penguin, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn who could be done in a 'realistic' Nolan way. Clayface, Mad Hatter and Killer Croc could make appearances if it were to go more fantastical.

I think it'll get a clean reboot with a new Bruce Wayne (Armie Hammer?). Something in which Batman is already established, but completely separated from the Nolan films. Then they'll tie it in with Superman, because you can guarantee that we'll see a JLA by 2020.

Whatever they do I would not want to be the person writing or directing the reboot. It'll be impossible.

They should probably just re-establish Batman in the inevitable JLA movie.

thedisabledcubicle wrote:Whatever they do I would not want to be the person writing or directing the reboot. It'll be impossible.

I figured they'd let Batman lie for awhile as a standalone franchise, and use him to push the JLA franchise, and maybe spin-off from there. If they do reboot it, I hope we don't get another origin. I can't see anyone telling that nay better than Nolan did.

Robbman wrote:
thedisabledcubicle wrote:Whatever they do I would not want to be the person writing or directing the reboot. It'll be impossible.

I figured they'd let Batman lie for awhile as a standalone franchise, and use him to push the JLA franchise, and maybe spin-off from there. If they do reboot it, I hope we don't get another origin. I can't see anyone telling that nay better than Nolan did.
I agree with that! If they do a reboot then it should be about an older Batman or something like that. Might be more interesting than to see a retelling of the story that would NOT be better than Nolan's Batman anyway.

Upon 2 viewings and a week's worth of reflection, I think the close-up of Batman's face in subtle slow motion is my new favorite 'shot/still' in all of film, especially considering the sacrifice (we think) he's making. That's the main reason I sort of dislike Wayne ultimately surviving. It steals from that emotion somewhat.

Fallon wrote:Upon 2 viewings and a week's worth of reflection, I think the close-up of Batman's face in subtle slow motion is my new favorite 'shot/still' in all of film, especially considering the sacrifice (we think) he's making. That's the main reason I sort of dislike Wayne ultimately surviving. It steals from that emotion somewhat.
Yeah but the emotion on Caine's face at the end when
he sees Bruce in the cafe
was one of my favorite moments. I loved the ending.