NF Reviews/Reactions Only

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Just got back from the midnight show.
First ones in, got the best seats in the house.
Verdict? The Citizen Kane of superhero movies.
10/10
There were no "slow parts," people--it was an expertly paced script and film.
Bane's voice did sound a little like Sean Connery at the beginning, but quickly got its own vibe.
Last edited by JMan on July 20th, 2012, 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted
Last edited by JMan on July 20th, 2012, 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Queen of Hearts wrote:Wow..just got back as well.. I have not slept all day and I have to be at work in two hours and work all day tomorrow and I dont even care :-) Im not going to spoil anything for anybody that has yet to see it. Im in stunned mode right now and slowing taking everything in. I DEFINITELY need to watch this movie again!! Definitely the best ending to a trilogy...EVER! and I do have to say that Tom Hardy knocked it out of the park..amazing! Everybody did a great job:-) I definitely got teary eyed on at least two parts... more to come later:-)
Sorry I wanted to add that I think Hardy's dialogue and his lines were amazing. His wording and his expression really stood out to me. Almost felt that he was reading Shakespeare or something. His ability to describe and to be an orator of spoken word blew me away. He really nailed this character.. and yes Im probably biased a little, but honestly those lines...and his delivery were amazing.

TDKR was so epic in 15/70 IMAX. There was so much IMAX in this movie; it was incredible. My only issues with it are
Bane's voice (preferred the Prologue voice, and some scenes definitely were done in post. There's this scene where Bane is on top of a Tumbler and he keeps making weird facial gestures and it just didn't match up with the dialogue. The only other issue I have is the whole "Robin" thing at the end. Did not like that.
Funny story, I watched Begins and TDK back-to-back today, and I was talking to my friends and I said, "I wonder if there will be a scene where
Alfred tells Bruce the truth about the letter. We all said, "Nah, it was better left the way it was." Sure enough, the scene pops up, and it literally almost had me in tears.
Last edited by MindYourSurroundings on July 20th, 2012, 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just came back from the trilogy in fake IMAX, here are my random thoughts:
I thought it started in an offbeat kind of way. Once I accepted that it was just a different film from BB and TDK then it didn't bother me anymore. Things really picked up when Selina met Bruce for the first time.

For the first 2h25m, I was smiling ear to ear (I don't smile much) and in the last 20 minutes, my jaw was on the floor. I kept thinking to myself, Nolan is actually going to kill Batman. Then it happens. The 'death' was a total gut punch, but the reveal of him being alive was even better. Deep down I was hoping he survived because I didn't want him to die.

The twist with Blake at the end was great and done in a way that wasn't corny. I'm not even a fan of Robin, but it worked for me.

Alfred was out of the film for so long I had forgotten about his story of him at the cafe and his wishes for Bruce. It made it that much more satisfying when they brought that thread back around.

Anne was fantastic as Selina, the dynamic between her and Batman is great. So glad the woman at the table with him at the end was Selina.

The film did a great job of showing Bane's brutality. He's not into mind games and conducting sociological/psychological experiments like the Joker. He just destroys anything in his way.

I would say this ending easily surpasses that of TDK and perhaps any film I've seen in terms of emotion.

Everyone's last memory of Batman will be TDK and Joker. With that in mind, Bane may be disappointing to a lot of people. But I liked it that way. It wasn't villain-centric. It was all about Bruce Wayne's journey. Also, even though TDK was a masterpiece, it didn't have the feel of a sweeping cinematic epic. It felt like an episode, albeit an amazing executed one. BB and TDKR felt epic. I'm glad the mask malfunction didn't kill Bane (why would it?). I do have a question though: why even bother going through all that trouble of starting a revolution and trapping the police and destroying bridges when they could have just hit the trigger on the nuke. Obviously, Bane and Talia were expecting to die, so why not just get it over with? Not that big of a deal, if they had pulled the trigger then we wouldn't have been treated to such an amazing chase sequence with the Bat.

There were a couple times when I couldn't understand what the hell Bane was saying. I wanted to believe I understood everything, but I just didn't. And I had no problem understanding the prologue from December. I don't think it was the audio mix, I think it was the way some words were pronounced. Or maybe I was just thinking too hard and my mind couldn't decipher as I was hearing it. Especially during his talk with Bruce in the Pit. I will adjust my opinion after I see it without having been deprived of sleep (24 hours), food (36 hours), and water (16 hours). But the story still moved along fine.

After having watched the prologue that came out in December so many times, the takes they used for the final cut were kind of surprising. It'll take some getting used to with multiple viewings. The take they used for "with no survivors" almost made me laugh.

Regarding the running time, it went by fast IMO. Before I knew it, the end chase had begun. I had seen most of the set videos and pics plus all of the tv spots and trailers, so maybe that's why it felt fast.

So on a 4-star scale, with 4 not meaning "perfect", but rather "must see," I give it 4/4.

And finally, yes I think it's better than BB and TDK.

Just got back, and I should be going to bed because I'm seeing this film again in less than five hours, but I feel I need to write something.

The Dark Knight Rises is pitch fucking perfect. There is not a single piece of fat to trim, and everything is tight as can be. I just saw the movie of my life, and it feels so good. The trilogy couldn't have ended any other way. The man has done it. Nolan has crafted the single greatest trilogy in history of Tinseltown.
Stray note: Until tonight, I had never shed a tear watching a movie in a theater. TDKR got me twice.
I'll post a more detailed review tomorrow after I see it again and I'm not half-asleep. But damn, guys. For those who haven't had the opportunity to see it yet, you have no fucking idea what you are in for. It's a helluva satisfying ride.

Not sure if I should spoil this or not because it is something Nolan said...but I will just to be safe:-)
The disjoint and unusualness of Hardy's voice and eyes during some scenes are on purpose..not something done with the voice in post production. It was so unusual when Nolan saw Hardy do it that he was shocked..in a good way. He said he had never seen that done before. I have no complaints about Hardy's voice at all his lines and his dialogue was amazing.....the only thing that I thought was a little different or off was the prologue tone of voice compared to when we see him again in the sewers for the first time, that's it. Other than that I loved his voice.:-)

Nelson wrote:Just got back, and I should be going to bed because I'm seeing this film again in less than five hours, but I feel I need to write something.

The Dark Knight Rises is pitch fucking perfect. There is not a single piece of fat to trim, and everything is tight as can be. I just saw the movie of my life, and it feels so good. The trilogy couldn't have ended any other way. The man has done it. Nolan has crafted the single greatest trilogy in history of Tinseltown.
Stray note: Until tonight, I had never shed a tear watching a movie in a theater. TDKR got me twice.
I'll post a more detailed review tomorrow after I see it again and I'm not half-asleep. But damn, guys. For those who haven't had the opportunity to see it yet, you have no fucking idea what you are in for. It's a helluva satisfying ride.
Nelson..it got me twice too:-)

Queen of Hearts wrote: Nelson..it got me twice too:-)
I cried three times :(
Alfred resigns. Bruce making the final climb. And when the orphans saw The Bat emerges from the fire and yelled "it's batman", JGL's expression was perfect, from full of hope to understanding Batman is sacrificing his life...I started crying like a baby till the autopilot part.
What an emotional journey!!

Just got back from theater and the one word I can say about this film after my first viewing...intense.

After browsing through reviews this week and hearing about complaints, I can understand why critics felt that way for certain things, not everything. I honestly felt like the 1/3 of the film's plot was jarring and not clear, but things definitely picked up once the first brawl occurred between Batman and Bane and that was intense to watch. Didn't cry, but my eyes were definitely glued to the screen once Gotham fell under Bane's control.

Anyway, I'll have a better reaction once I see it again later today in Imax. I have to say that everyone in my screening went crazy for the ending. :clap: