NF Reviews/Reactions Only

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
neo78956 wrote:Good lord who cares?! :judge: :roll:

In any case, after two viewings, just a couple quick thoughts

It's not as good as The Dark Knight. The end. Phew, now that that's out of the way, the film reminds me a lot of Return of the King and/or The Bourne Ultimatum. Doesn't really work as a standalone film but as a conclusion to the trilogy it's brilliant. The longer it stews in my mind, the more I love it. I was a little taken aback by it the first go round at my press screening (I'm a critic, as pointed out in my sig) because the hype had grown to unreasonable levels in my mind, and I got something I didn't truly expect. Second time in with no outside pressure, etc, at the midnight show, everything really clicked for me. While many have complained about the script, I think that's not at all the issue with the film. There's just something off about the editing to the whole thing. Didn't notice as much the second time but there are parts that are just downright clunky
(Catwoman leading Batman to Bane was so bizarre, tonally and structurally)
HOWever, despite some minor quibbles like that, the film really brought everything to such a satisfying conclusion for me that I can overlook the little problems. It's the most comic book-y of the trilogy, and occasionally a bit messy, but the character work is so damn brilliant that it really washes all that away. And holy final scene Batman that was awesome!
Those are considered the best of each of those series. Just saying

It's not as good as The Dark Knight. The end. Phew, now that that's out of the way, the film reminds me a lot of Return of the King and/or The Bourne Ultimatum. Doesn't really work as a standalone film but as a conclusion to the trilogy it's brilliant. The longer it stews in my mind, the more I love it. I was a little taken aback by it the first go round at my press screening (I'm a critic, as pointed out in my sig) because the hype had grown to unreasonable levels in my mind, and I got something I didn't truly expect. Second time in with no outside pressure, etc, at the midnight show, everything really clicked for me. While many have complained about the script, I think that's not at all the issue with the film. There's just something off about the editing to the whole thing. Didn't notice as much the second time but there are parts that are just downright clunky
HOWever, despite some minor quibbles like that, the film really brought everything to such a satisfying conclusion for me that I can overlook the little problems. It's the most comic book-y of the trilogy, and occasionally a bit messy, but the character work is so damn brilliant that it really washes all that away. And holy final scene Batman that was awesome!
Yes yes yes. This is exactly how I felt.

bootsy wrote:

Those are considered the best of each of those series. Just saying
I'm aware of that. But the similarities in structure, not being standalone films, etc, are still there. It wasn't meant as a knock on TDKR! ;)

Wow. Can't believe how awesome it was. I had gone in with low expectations after reading those negative reviews, and was blown away by how EPIC the movie was. :clap: :goNF: :twothumbsup:

Seen it twice. Still can't properly process it. I loved it but when I'm not watching it I feel like I should be. I need to see this a few more times. Fully accept it.
Sigs???

Just saw it again. Amazing. My still gripe is that there is to much music that it sometimes makes it feel like a tribute video. Other than that Bane is still amazing.

Spoilers blocked out where noted:

I liked it overall, although I understand where people have found it to be flawed. It's not as good as the first two movies, and the narrative is a bit of a mess at times. With that said, it was very entertaining and I found Tom Hardy to be a lot better than critics have been giving him credit for. Sure, it's not the kind of performance that Heath Ledger gave in the last one, but he wasn't trying to do top his work in that film. Bane is a different kind of villain from the Joker. There were two scenes, especially
when Gordon is taken into the sewers by Bane's mercenaries and when Batman is led to Bane and gets his back broken
that I found legitimately creepy and threatening. I could also understand (most) of what he said throughout the movie, which was good. I remember seeing the prologue back in December and feeling puzzled as to what he was saying. Speaking of which, his dialogue sounded almost completely re-dubbed (except for the 'Crashing this plane' line) and it seemed as if Nolan put a mic up to Tom Hardy and made him redo all of his lines. I also liked Anne Hathaway, although I expected to see more of her character and felt she was a little under-used as a result.

But yeah, I think the movie was a little rushed at times but it's still a worthwhile ending overall. In terms of anyone talking about Oscar prospects, I gotta say that, as much as I like this movie, I don't see it getting nominated. It's just not quite as good as its first two, and neither of those got in so I'd be a little surprised if it gets much more than some technical nominations.

Rating: B+

Its been a while since I posted here so here is my review.

9/10
Overall fantastic. Very emotional. There were more than a few parts that got to me emotionally, when Alfred leaves Bruce, Miranda asks about Rachel (which was due to Bale's acting), and of course, the end. After both TDK and Inception of which did not really resonate with me emotionally, it was great to Nolan return to that.

The plot was busy but always coherent, providing you paid attention. More viewings are needed for me to understand every detail though. I absolutely loved how it tied everything together, though I do feel that the Joker should have been mentioned given the amount of times past events were brought up. No biggie regardless.

Tom Hardy is incredible as Bane, other than the prologue I thought his voice was great. I was genuinely terrified when he came on screen because unlike The Joker where you are unsure of what his actions may be, Bane was the epitome of violence and brutality and if not for cut aways, this film is an R. Hardy was able to pull off a lot while wearing a mask.He really delivered in his performance with the scene of him and Talia, showing a human side of Bane. The next great performance was Hathaway. I will admit that I was skeptical when she was cast, but she really nailed it. She is the Catwoman we all know from the comics and somehow manages to play it straight. Likewise, JGL gives a great performance as what is Nolan's version of Robin/Nightwing. Caine does a fantastic job of carrying much of the emotion of the film. As usual Oldman and Freeman are great. I thought Cotillard was good however I am undecided about her as of now. I wish I didn't know she was Talia from the get go. Carrying the film to greatness is Bale, who really delivers as both Bruce and Batman. Bruce is in pain throughout much of the film and Bale masterfully plays that while at the same time expresses Bruce's need to protect Gotham again, to be happy. The desperation of Bruce as he tries to take down Bane sent chills down my spine as we already know he has lost.

There were some things that bothered me. To start Bane's revised voice during the prologue was aweful and did not match the brilliance of it later. I found that Batman was in the right place at the right time far to often and that the knee brace was ridiculous, in fact that entire thing was unnecessary as it was never established in TDK that his knee was THAT messed. It makes logical sense that his knee is messed I just thought its fix was a stretch. Also the way Pavel just turned the reactor into a neutron bomb was a stretch, but that is SCI FI so w/e. Finally I was dissapointed with the way Bane dies, way too fast and anti climactic.

Hopefully I am seeing it again on Sunday so we'll see. As of now it stands like this:

BB - 9.5
TDK - 9.5
TDKR - 9

My very immediate reaction is that I like it more than BB, but I'm not entirely sure if I like it more than TDK. It exceeded my expectations. I do have gripes, some of them similar to a few members of NF. Pacing, editing, sound, but all sort of minor. There were also a few things that I found really uncharacteristic of Nolan's directing style. They weren't bad, just sort of surprising because I never thought he would use those techniques.

The first fight scene between Batman and Bane, that we've all seen pics/clips of and read about, is simply the best fight scene I have ever seen in my entire life as a movie-goer. Period. You can feel every punch, you can feel every exertion from both men. God damn, that was so brilliantly filmed and edited. I actually felt legitimately nervous and scared for Batman's life.

As I've said before, I think the main problem with people's reception of TDKR has to do with the fact they expected The Dark Knight 2.0. They expected simply an extension of the previous movie. This is not that. This film, like BB and TDK invididually, has it's own style and tone. I think people were also expecting Bane to be like the Joker, which is stupid. Bane is a completely different character and a different challenge for Batman. While the Joker represents more of a moral challenge, Bane represents the physical challenge and I really think a lot of people almost blatantly ignored that when they essentially said that no Joker means TDKR is a letdown. Those people need to actually fuck off, or just go watch TDK if they miss the Joker so much.

This is also about Bruce Wayne as an older and broken down man. This is not the same Bruce Wayne, nor even the same Gotham from BB or TDK. This is what a lot of reviewers fail to see and where I disagree with them the most. This is a Bruce Wayne who, in a lot of ways, needs to learn how to be Batman all over again. He naively and childishly jumps into the suit again because he thinks he can take Bane easily. So obviously, this is not going to be Batman as usual, or Batman at necessarily the peak of his career. The fact that people miss this dynamic and fail to delve deeper into this concept is just mind-boggling.

My theater was also a little disappointing. The film projection looked over-brightened and old. Of course this was an IMAX theater that opted to switch from digital to film for this movie, so they probably just didn't know what the fuck they were doing. The IMAX scenes were great and the transition from 35mm to IMAX was barely noticeable, I don't understand why people keep crying about that.

Overall I give it a 9.5/10, but it could possible go down after a second viewing.

About Bale:
My favorite performance in the film. He gives the best performance in all 3 films and really projects the emotional state of this Bruce Wayne so well. The older, angry, broken down Bruce Wayne of later comics. I really loved it.
About JGL:
I am very pleasantly surprised with what he did with this character. He really made it his own in a cool way. Where Oldman represented the heart and earnestness of BB and TDK, JGL does the same here. This is probably one of my favorite performances of his.
About Hathaway:
A complete gem. She transformed totally. I always looked forward to seeing her on screen and I think Hathaway was the perfect choice for that role. I was skeptical when she was first cast, but she really turned it around and proved herself.
About Hardy:
Hardy was incredible. This was a physical performance, and Hardy absolutely nailed it. He projected that sense of a character constantly living through pain very well. His fighting style was so fucking cool to watch and it

I'm sort of split on the voice. The way the voice was in the prologue made Bane seem even more terrifying. It was low and raspy. The change to the voice, although very clear, really took me by surprise. It almost sounded like a voice-over and it occasionally sounded too loud in relation to the scene. Through the first part of the film it really made me miss the old voice from the first version of the prologue before people started whining about it. It almost sounded cartoonish at certain points. However, I really got used to it after a while and I felt it fit him in the end.

Despite seeing many set photos of Bane, Nolan still, through whatever trickery, made him seem enormous and hulking. I really enjoyed that aspect and it further enhanced Bane's dominance over Batman.
About the ending:
It was perfect. I felt very satisfied with it and it truly did bring the trilogy full circle. The editing could have been better though, to enhance the emotional draw, but it did what it was supposed to.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Anyone else think TDKR will age well?
Sigs???