NF Reviews/Reactions Only

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Use this thread for your reaction or review once you've seen the film.

Rules:

1. Only post reviews, no discussion, that can go in the TDKR Reviews Discussion thread:
(http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... =33&t=9757)
2. Give a rating if you want
3. Try to avoid using spoilers, but if you do, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS NOLAN put them in spoiler tags!
4. Don't be a douche
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Mods, there doesn't seem to be a reaction megathread so apologies if you have to smush this into another thread.

Went to the midnight screening last night and I think I can safely say that this is without a doubt, the most massive and immane film released within my lifetime (1989 onwards). When Nolan was talking about looking back to Fritz Lang (Dr. Mabuse as much as Metropolis seems to be an influence here) and silent cinema (Intolerance) he wasn't joking. Epic is a word used in trifling situations these days (no, The Amazing Spider-Man was not epic; no, Prometheus was not epic; no,The Avengers was not epic), but if you were ever going to apply it to a film, this is the one. The number of fully fledged story layers that lock and interweave exploring the infrastructure of the city and the forces that look to destroy it amazing. The ambition of the film dwarfs its predecessor, which is extraordinary when you think about it.

I can't say I love it more than The Dark Knight, but then that film has a lightning-in-a-bottle, of-the-time quality to it that I don't think will ever fade (and seeing it in the theatre before hand only strengthened that view), but I just feel that in all these reviews the extraordinary size of the thing isn't really being sold. That's not a drawing point - in fact, the performances and character arcs are quite intimate, involving, and of a standard most drab dramatic pieces would love to attain, but it is what sets this film apart from not only its predecessors but pretty much any other film released that I can remember. It makes fantasy epics like your Lord of the Rings or your Star Wars or whatever look like a joke, because the scope of it is set against something many of us are familiar with in a cityscape and the various levels of that world. It's quantifiable and it strikes you to the core in a way that a thousand TIE Fighters or one hundred thousand Orcs can never and will never do.

It's almost too much to process with one viewing and I'm not even sure if I know what the hell it is that I saw, but I can conclusively say that it is truly great in many capacities, and ambitious beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

I'm more than willing to answer spoilery questions and whatnot if that's OK (and as I say, if this needs to be shunted anywhere else that I couldn't find then so be it and apologies in advance to the mods).
Ah, böwakawa! Poussé, poussé...

Short, sweet, No spoilers

Just got back. It's amazing. Bane is SO badass and his fights with Batman are SO sick. Haters will be eating so much shit about Hathaway...she's brilliant. Sexy, seductive, tough, quirky. IMAX is incredible. There are a few really funny parts. Batman cracks a joke that made me and my buddy Matt ROTFL. A couple moments made me throw my fist up and cheer.

I am calling it now: Best Supporting Actor nom for Michael Caine. His acting made me cry. Wish there were more Batman scenes (especially at night). After my first viewing, it isn't as impactful, for me, as TDK. BUT, it usually takes multiple viewings and thought time for me to fully digest a Nolan film, so that may change. Overall, it's just fucking epic. Can't wait to see it again.

Just got back

Initial score upon viewing
7/10 and that's being generous and no I am not trolling, this is quite serious
Thought it was a total mess, the scene transitions reminded me horribly of spiderman 3

Visually the best picture I've seen in a long time

Then it gets to that 3rd part and you just gotta enjoy the ride

The ending is cool, some might not like it, but I do like the last shot

Honestly I'm disappointed

PM me or I might make a thread with others who've seen fielding questions with spoilers tagged

I wept like a 4 year old who just lost her lollipop down a storm drain

9.75/10
The cafe is a lie.

Psyche

Jut got back, overall 7.5-8
First half was brilliant, second half felt cluttered and rushed.

The Dark Knight Rises the most EPIC of stories hampered by the format of film, it has Epic first quarter, a saggy middle followed by the most Epic of Epic endings in the history of Epicness.

That’s what my FaceBook status said after seeing Chris Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises his final chapter in his Dark Knight Trilogy. But of course that does not tell the whole story. Here are some light weight thoughts, that will be followed by a more in depth analysis when enough people have seen it for a proper post not to be considered spoilerish. Also bear in mind that I have only seen The Dark Knight Rises once typically Chris Nolan’s film need to be seen at least twice to absorb the detail.

Continues: http://www.theestablishingshot.com/2012 ... rises.html

I'm a bit disappointed :cry:

I loved loved loved it, a perfect way to end the trilogy. Im glad that I kept away from spoilers because I was surprised by most of the twists and turns. The movie does have its fair share of faults but really its nitpicking nothing major to distract from my enjoyment of the film. Im glad that Anne Hathaway delivered I was one of the few who always had faith in her and boy she was amazing, i think her catwoman betrayal is the best. All the other cast members were amazing as well especially Michael Caine wish there was more of him though.

Grade: An A (9.5/10)

Enjoy the film Nolan Fans, hope you guys love it as well.

Just want to some feedback before I post this on my site. My first time reviewing a Nolan film, so I kinda don't want to sound like an idiot lol.
Having assumed responsibility for the crimes of District Attorney Harvey Dent in order to protect his reputation, Batman is chased into exile by the Gotham City Police Department. Eight years after the events of The Dark Knight, the appearance of the mysterious Selina Kyle sets in motion a chain of events culminating in the arrival of Bane, a ruthless terrorist with plans to destroy Gotham City. With the future of the city at stake, Batman must emerge from his exile and confront Bane to bring about an end to his reign of terror.

In 2008, many people thought that Christopher Nolan had made the ultimate Batman movie. They thought that if he were to come back and do another, it wouldn’t be able to top The Dark Knight. What I’ve come to realize about this trilogy is, you can’t look at each film individually and say one is better than the other. You really have to see them as a whole. The Dark Knight Rises is the final piece to the puzzle, it’s what rounds out the story, bringing elements from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight to show the audience the consequences of the choices made in each film.

For Bruce Wayne, the last 8 years have been very hard. He’s hung up the cape and cowl, as Batman is Gotham’s most wanted criminal after taking the fall for the crimes Harvey Dent committed. Bruce has also run his company into the ground with a mothballed energy project. Worst of all, he’s become a recluse with long, yellowed fingernails (kidding), a scruffy goatee and rumor has it he’s been urinating in old mason jars. But the arrival of Selina Kyle (played brilliantly by Anne Hathaway) has Bruce itching to put his mask back on. By now, we’re used to hearing his growly Batman voice, but at certain times it’s too much and becomes unintentionally hilarious.

Alfred (Michael Caine) and Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman) return to provide Bruce with moral and tech support, respectively. Michael Caine’s performance this time around as Bruce’s caretaker is much more emotional as Alfred has to deal with the consequences of Rachel’s death and watching the effect it has had on Bruce. Morgan Freeman’s Lucius Fox is also dealing with consequences of business choices Bruce has made, mainly, the energy project.

And let’s not forget Gary Oldman as good ol’ Commissioner Gordon. Gordon has to be the most conflicted of everyone in this film, carrying the burden of knowing what he and Batman did 8 years ago to protect the city was wrong. With a new law passed in honor of Harvey Dent that has kept the city clean of organized crime, Gordon wants to come clean but doesn’t want to risk everything coming undone. How can he keep the city safe when everything that has been done to protect it is based on a lie?
Anne Hathaway’s Selina Kyle is definitely my favorite incarnation of the character. While she’s never referred to as Catwoman, this version is much less campy than Michelle Pheifer and Halle Berry, but definitely as just as sexy. Selina’s actions get her in trouble with the wrong people for a “clean slate,” but surely such a thing doesn’t exist for a person with a rap sheet as long as Ms. Kyle’s, right? Even though their relationship starts off a bit rocky, she makes the perfect sidekick for Batman because she too is “broken.” Them working together was one of my favorite aspects of this film.

The brute strength of Bane isn’t the only thing that makes him terrifying. The respirator that helps him cope with a grisly injury covers most of his face, so Tom Hardy had to rely on body language and limited facial expression to bring Bane to life. And it works. When you look at Bane, his eyes are piercing and full of anger. You can almost feel him squeezing the life out of you without him even putting a hand around your neck. The IMAX format makes his commanding presence even more dreadful and it would seem that Batman has met his match both physically and mentally.

We also get a very strong performance from Inception-alum Joseph Gordon-Levitt as GCPD Officer John Blake. When Blake sees that it’s going to take more than Gotham’s police to bring down the “masked man,” he doesn’t lose his faith in The Batman, hoping his chalk drawings will convince whoever the Caped Crusader is, that the city still needs him. Another newcomer to the franchise, but no stranger to Nolan films, is Marion Cotillard as Wayne Enterprises board member Miranda Tate. Miranda, an environmentally conscious woman, firmly believes in Wayne’s defunct energy project, that it can provide the city with clean, renewable energy for years. However, she can’t seem to grasp why Bruce would want the project shut down.

Using today’s hot topics (i.e. the international economic issues, tyrants being overthrown, clean energy, etc.), Christopher Nolan has crafted the perfect ending to his Batman legend, but every film has its flaws. What’s going to be interesting to see is how the end of this particular film will divide Batman fans and Nolan fans. However, I’m not going to say anymore about that. What’s also going to have fans talking is the amount of humor, much more than the last two films, but not too much that it becomes a Joel Schumacher ordeal. The light-hearted moments are actually welcoming with having to deal with such dark and often, distressing moments throughout this film.

I really enjoyed this movie, it was an emotional roller coaster ride! The last 15 minutes will have people crying, shaking with adrenaline rushes and maybe even scratching their heads. Don’t be one of those people scratching their heads, go back and watch the first two before you see this one. As I said earlier, you can’t look at each film individually, it is one flowing story. When Nolan said he wanted to bring Bruce Wayne’s story full-circle, he meant it. I love the fact that Nolan and Wally Pfister were able to overcome the obstacles of shooting with the IMAX cameras. Combined with Hans Zimmer’s amazing score, their work really pays off and I wouldn’t be surprised if Mr. Pfister gets several award nods this season for his cinematography work.