NF Reviews/Reactions Only

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Posts: 92
Joined: July 2012
huskerdu wrote:
minair wrote: Did he survive the blast?
Yes, he did. Pretty much been established already- MTV interviews, the official novel, actual scenes in the movie, etc.

User avatar
Posts: 271
Joined: December 2009
Location: USA
Here's my thoughts on this movie:

I disagree with the naysayers on this one. I personally felt Nolan TOPPED TDK BY FAR with this movie IMO. It might not be as Oscar-worthy as some might have thought, but Nolan prevailed through the gauntlet thrown down by The Avengers, unscathed. While it didn't top The Avengers for me as THE best superhero film of all time (Avengers still holds onto that right now, as well as being the most PERFECT superhero film of them all, and THAT is something I NEVER say about any film so that should tell you something), TDKR came SO DAMN CLOSE that it almost got it. To me, it's not because it of anything I didn't like about the film, as I have no complaints about this movie. It's simply because I didn't come out feeling like a raving, pumped up geek like I did with the Avengers when I got to see it early at the free fan screening in NYC back in April.

But, in all honesty, that's not a big deal to me, because that's not what Christopher Nolan was trying to do with this movie. He was trying to make a good sequel without buying into what some nitpicky fanboys demanded (i.e. trying to avoid what happened with Sam Rami with Spider-Man 3). And I felt he not only succeeded in that regard, he surpassed my expectations. I still came out LOVING this movie, and it'll no doubt by my #2 Best Movie this year when I make my Top 10 Best Movies of 2012 at the end of this year (Avengers being #1, of course).

Overall, Christopher Nolan's officially made the FIRST perfect superhero trilogy, and I fell he should be commended for that. He's become one of my favorite writers/directors of all time now, and I can't WAIT to see what he's going to do next with his career. Because he's the hero Batman fans deserved all along, but not the one they thought they needed at first. So we'll forever praise him because he respected us that much to be given it. Because he's our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight Director.

I rest my case.

TDKR: 9.75/10

The Dark Knight Trilogy (BB/TDK/TDKR): 10/10

Posts: 1618
Joined: February 2011
minair wrote: Bane breaks Batman's back and anyone who knows a thing about back injuries they take a long time to heal or often never heal...hence in DC comics Batman has to pass the mantle to someone else...However in the film the prison inmate tells that his vertabrae is jutting out and fixes it with his hands....I found that too lame and hard to digest....

Batman surviving the nuclear blast was something that I found hard to digest... Even if the BAT had autopilot mode the film shows Batman in the vehicle with 5 secs remaining... It is practically impossible for someone to survive even if he jumped in the sea...

I thought bringing up the whole League of Shadows was unnecessary and deviated from the main story of Bane....
A broken vertebrae only takes 1 month to heal not more. And we know Bruce was in the prison pit for a few months since when he got out of it it was winter (might have been spring when he went in there) I think It was already healing before the guy fixed it with his hand, I think it was only meant to replace it correctly.

It's possible that Batman survived the nuclear blast, eventhough I don't know how he did. But he surely thought about it before. Anyway, this movie isn't meant to be a 100% realistic once again! We discussed it with TDK, how is it possible that Harvey Dent was perfectly fine without any healing measures? In reality, a man as burned as he was wouldn't have survived as long in the city as he did!
But whoever tries to make Batman 100% realistic then I tell him "good luck" because most of the things happening in Batman are totally impossible. I truely believe Nolan gave us the closest Batman to reality that we'll ever get!

As said earlier, in the comics, Bane IS part of the league of shadows, it's his original story...

MovieLord101: Great post! I also think it's one of the best Nolan's movie, and IMO it's totally Oscar worthy... But I guess people will only realize that once Nolan dies :( As it always happens with genius persons...

User avatar
Posts: 271
Joined: December 2009
Location: USA
Batcat wrote:MovieLord101: Great post! I also think it's one of the best Nolan's movie, and IMO it's totally Oscar worthy... But I guess people will only realize that once Nolan dies :( As it always happens with genius persons...
Thanks man! Glad you liked it! :-D

Posts: 709
Joined: December 2009
Location: None of Ur Business
Asanty wrote:
DKnight007 wrote:



2nd, 3rd and 4th viewings of this film are mandatory IMO. :thumbup:
Yep, you are absolutely right. I saw it again. And now film is almost perfect for me. The great final of trilogy. And ending is so awesome!



Yeah. After viewing the 2nd time, the film came together nicely. I could understand Banes dialogue in every scene the 2nd time around. The 1st time, I couldn't understand Bane like two times.

Maybe because in the 2nd viewing, I watched in XD instead of IMAX, where the sound and acoustics were booming.

TDKRises gets a 9.5/10 for me. A great ending to a GREAT Bat Trilogy of films!

Better than the over the top, over hyped, overrated, cheesy and more kid/child film called Avengers.

Posts: 163
Joined: November 2009
Everyone who said see it a second time and you'll like it better was right. I still think TDK is a better film, but all the things that bothered me on the first viewing didn't feel so blatant this time around.

I saw this one in 2D in the theater with digital projection. The first time i saw it in IMAX. This time around, the dark scenes were much brighter than they were in the local IMAX theatre, but the daytime scenes were fine. Has anyone else thought the darker scenes in IMAX were tough to see detail or is it the theatre?

User avatar
Posts: 1302
Joined: May 2012
I refuse to see a movie in theaters twice. Watching a movie soon after watching it really ruins the flavor.

User avatar
Posts: 10595
Joined: March 2012
Location: The Rose City
anikom15 wrote:I refuse to see a movie in theaters twice. Watching a movie soon after watching it really ruins the flavor.
I waited a week. I could never be one of those people who see it back to back. I like to give the movie a week to settle in.

Posts: 709
Joined: December 2009
Location: None of Ur Business
[quote="MOVIELORD101Overall, Christopher Nolan's officially made the FIRST perfect superhero trilogy, and I fell he should be commended for that. He's become one of my favorite writers/directors of all time now, and I can't WAIT to see what he's going to do next with his career. Because he's the hero Batman fans deserved all along, but not the one they thought they needed at first. So we'll forever praise him because he respected us that much to be given it. Because he's our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight Director.

I rest my case.

TDKR: 9.75/10

The Dark Knight Trilogy (BB/TDK/TDKR): 10/10[/quote]




:twothumbsup:

Posts: 9
Joined: August 2012
durden_77 wrote:
anikom15 wrote:I refuse to see a movie in theaters twice. Watching a movie soon after watching it really ruins the flavor.
I waited a week. I could never be one of those people who see it back to back. I like to give the movie a week to settle in.
I reluctantly went back to see it a week after it came out, initially rating it as about a 4/5 which was still incredibly disappointing for me despite the fact that I enjoyed the film.

My expectations were beyond anything any movie could ever deliver, maybe I had taken in some of the early criticisms that were made about the film from the critics reviews, maybe I was expecting to be blown away by a bigger twist near the finish and for some reason some of the plot holes seemed to be intrusive on the first viewing.

But am I glad I went back to see it, the second time the movie was simply amazing from start to finish.
On that second viewing I realised fairly quickly that Nolan jams so much action, dialogue and plot into every millimetre of tape that most people, myself included cannot possibly take in every little detail that is necessary to be picked up to form a perfect perspective on why and how everything is happening.

With my expectations dulled from the first watching I was able to fully embrace and enjoy from the first second of the opening sequence without the requirement of actually hanging from the fuselage of the plane myself which would have been required to meet my ludicrous initial expectations.

The big thing though is the little things that most of us miss out on the first time.

I'm sure most followers on here would have picked up some of the points I missed in relation to Batman's plan for Blake but on the first viewing I saw...

- Blake a character with Batman's background and an understanding of his plight.
- Blake craving a return for Batman/his influence
- Blake a character with the same morals as Batman (dirty hand conversation with Gordon/hot head)
- Batman suggesting Blake wear a mask
- Blake rising surrounded by bats as Bruce was in begins

On the second viewing I also saw...

- Batman repairing the Batman symbol for his successor
- Batman leaving co-ordinates for Blake to the batcave when blake picks up his bag
- Most critically Batman instructing Blake to help get people out of the city, this little sliver was the most special for me. Batman is actually directing Blake to get out of the line of fire, asking him to get to the bridge the furthest point away from the blast radius and harm so that he can survive to become the next symbol for Gotham.

when I watched that conversation with Batman a big grin grew across my face and I just marvelled at the genius that is Chris Nolan, 100% perfection, logic and genius all wrapped in one.

I satisfied myself that there was no plot misgiving upon my second viewing and have not been able to get the pulsing soundtrack and thrill of that movie out my head since last Monday, so much so that I couldn't help myself from stepping out of the shadows and finally signing up for Nolan fans. :goNF:

Hope I make a convincing case for a second viewing 8-)

Post Reply