NF Reviews/Reactions Only

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Allstar wrote:
Based4Life wrote: Its implied but not shown. Therefore, I can think what I want about what happens as can anyone else.
But one option is a logical conclusion and anything else is a pure guess with nothing to back it up.
No, not really.

Based4Life wrote:
Allstar wrote:
But one option is a logical conclusion and anything else is a pure guess with nothing to back it up.
No, not really.
Yes, really.
Reasons for him downing the cowl

1. Name is Robin
2. Idolized Batman
3. Quit the police force
4. Inherits the batcave

Reasons he won't

?

Allstar wrote:
Based4Life wrote: No, not really.
Yes, really.

1. Name is Robin
2. Idolized Batman
3. Quit the police force
4. Inherits the batcave

Reasons he won't

?
It doesn't work like that.

Based4Life wrote:
Allstar wrote:
Yes, really.

1. Name is Robin
2. Idolized Batman
3. Quit the police force
4. Inherits the batcave

Reasons he won't

?
It doesn't work like that.
It actually does.. just because you do not like the idea you want to think it is not what Nolan was going for.

Allstar wrote:
Based4Life wrote: It doesn't work like that.
It actually does.. just because you do not like the idea you want to think it is not what Nolan was going for.
I said I was fine with it because he did it well. I'm not arguing for or against what happens. I'm merely stating there is a chance of it not happening. It is not 100% certain.

anonymity wrote:
Wow. Did people really miss the point of John Blake and the movie? You guys are taking it too literally. The whole "will to act" is to get across the point that anyone can be Batman, anyone can make a difference. Whether it's as a cop a caped crusader or giving a jacket to a child to let him know it's not the end of the world.

The whole point of The Dark Knight Rises, the whole point of the TRILOGY is that anyone can make a difference if they try. Whether robin puts on the cowl or not is fucking IRRELEVANT!
If anything, this ending with Blake "rising" up serves to create one large symbolic reference to the comic book mythology of Batman as an idea, a symbol.

"The theme of Batman has always been that he says, 'I'm one man, and I can make a difference'."
-Michael Uslan
Last edited by Big Bad Harv on July 21st, 2012, 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
The only morality in a cruel world is chance. Unbiased. Unprejudiced. Fair.

Based4Life wrote:
Allstar wrote:
I said I was fine with it because he did it well. I'm not arguing for or against what happens. I'm merely stating there is a chance of it not happening. It is not 100% certain.
Of course it is not a 100%, I just said it was the logical conclusion.

Allstar wrote:
Based4Life wrote: I said I was fine with it because he did it well. I'm not arguing for or against what happens. I'm merely stating there is a chance of it not happening. It is not 100% certain.
Of course it is not a 100%, I just said it was the logical conclusion.
The last shot of the movie is Blake rising on a platform in the batcave. It's more than logical and an awesome ending to the trilogy.
Last edited by Falco09 on July 21st, 2012, 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Falco09 wrote:It's more than logical and an awesome ending to the trilogy.
Pretty much, I just wanted Based to feel a little better about Nolan's choice. ;)

Good lord who cares?! :judge: :roll:

In any case, after two viewings, just a couple quick thoughts

It's not as good as The Dark Knight. The end. Phew, now that that's out of the way, the film reminds me a lot of Return of the King and/or The Bourne Ultimatum. Doesn't really work as a standalone film but as a conclusion to the trilogy it's brilliant. The longer it stews in my mind, the more I love it. I was a little taken aback by it the first go round at my press screening (I'm a critic, as pointed out in my sig) because the hype had grown to unreasonable levels in my mind, and I got something I didn't truly expect. Second time in with no outside pressure, etc, at the midnight show, everything really clicked for me. While many have complained about the script, I think that's not at all the issue with the film. There's just something off about the editing to the whole thing. Didn't notice as much the second time but there are parts that are just downright clunky
(Catwoman leading Batman to Bane was so bizarre, tonally and structurally)
HOWever, despite some minor quibbles like that, the film really brought everything to such a satisfying conclusion for me that I can overlook the little problems. It's the most comic book-y of the trilogy, and occasionally a bit messy, but the character work is so damn brilliant that it really washes all that away. And holy final scene Batman that was awesome!