NF Reviews/Reactions Only

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
^Regarding Bruce's
back recovery in the prison, it took place over the course of about 3 months. On one of the newscasts on the TV, it says "Day 84" of Gotham being under siege

I could have no problem giving this a 10/10. Even if that's a little generous, it's not below a 9.5. I really don't know whether this is better than TDK or BB because it's just such a different film. I absolutely loved the first half. The second half was utterly mindblowing, but predictable. I think that was my biggest gripe with the film--not predictable to the casual moviegoer, but I spoiled myself too much and knew pretty much all of the final twists. And technically, the film is still superb, that's a disappointment with myself.

Other than that here are a few of my other gripes:
-Bane's voice needed some major work
-I loved the ending, but don't think it was as powerful as TDK's
-The film was spectacular, but lacked the cohesiveness and satisfaction at the end that came with TDK
-Bane was a tad underused

And everything else was superb. Well done, Nolan. Action scenes were extremely well-orchestrated, performances were bloody amazing--Hathaway and JGL stole the show, of course--the entire film was so dark and hypnotic. I loved every minute of it. I'm still in shock. It's very much a sensory overload, especially the last half. I need another viewing and time to let it sit before I divulge most of the details.

But Nolan has fucking balls, man. Hanging those guys from the bridge? Death by exile? ROBIN? This film was loaded with both comic-y surprises and also frighteningly plausible surprises. The entire Bane takeover of Gotham was really disturbing to me. Just realizing how easily it could happen in real life...the film made me do a lot of thinking. It's the mark of a good one.

apw
10/10

The plot might not be as tight as TDK but the amount of sincere emotion in the movie makes up for that. Caine had me in tears several times.

Yeah, Bane's prologue voice was so bad. It didn't even sound like Tom Hardy.

Other than that, my only gripes were
Unnecessarily long - Not that I have a problem with length, but a lot of this seemed like fluff.
Too much exposition-based dialogue in the beginning
Some over-acting/bad acting here and there (not from Bale, Hardy, Hathaway, Joe, Freeman, or Caine, though)
Pacing felt a bit off in the first half - there were a lot of random flashes of brief scenes that created jarring tonal shifts
Bane felt underdeveloped - I never really got a sense of who he was, and given his revealed backstory at the end, he could have been a very well-fleshed out character

Wow... where do I begin. Just got back from an IMAX screening..

I'm too tired to write up a review right now, but suffice it to say I'm incredibly disapointed. The movie was a complete mess from beginning to end. Nothing felt cohesive. Nothing clicked. The dialogue was stilted, heavy handed, and exposition filled. The action produced no 'WOW' moments throughout the entire film. Nobody in my theater clapped during the film, except for the ending. Nobody.

Bane was disapointing, the story was predictable... The fight sequences between Bane and Batman, which should of been some of the highlights of the film, were boring, lacking in tension and drama. The choreograpy was just bland.

I did not think this was a good movie.

I admit part of my feelings could be due to the fact that I had a lot of trouble hearing the dialouge in the movie, so it was hard to follow. The music was sreally loud and booming as well, and became really obnoxious towards the end. Being up at 3am doesnt really help either. I need to see the movie again and hopefully soak it in better.

Anyway, this is a just gut a reaction but man am I disapointed. I waited for this movie since the day it was announced, and this felt everything like a disapointment. It's no where close to TDK, and even Begins which I'm not a huge fan of.

stanley wrote:Wow... where do I begin. Just got back from an IMAX screening..

I'm too tired to write up a review right now, but suffice it to say I'm incredibly disapointed. The movie was a complete mess from beginning to end. Nothing felt cohesive. Nothing clicked. The dialogue was stilted, heavy handed, and exposition filled. The action produced no 'WOW' moments throughout the entire film. Nobody in my theater clapped during the film, except for the ending. Nobody.

Bane was disapointing, the story was predictable... The fight sequences between Bane and Batman, which should of been some of the highlights of the film, were boring, lacking in tension and drama. The choreograpy was just bland.

I admit part of my feelings could be due to the fact that I had a lot of trouble hearing the dialouge in the movie, so it was hard to follow. The music was sreally loud and booming as well, and became really obnoxious towards the end. Being up at 3am doesnt really help either. I need to see the movie again and hopefully soak it in better.

Anyway, this is a just gut a reaction but man am I disapointed. I waited for this movie since the day it was announced, and this felt everything like a disapointment. It's no where close to TDK, and even Begins which I'm not a huge fan of.
I think u were expecting TDK 2.0 ..thats y u were disappointed..the fact that u didnt like batman begins proves my point. :-D

dud3rulz wrote:
stanley wrote:Wow... where do I begin. Just got back from an IMAX screening..

I think u were expecting TDK 2.0 ..thats y u were disappointed..the fact that u didnt like batman begins proves my point. :-D

Honestly, no .. my expectationss were not ridiculously high.. I had read that the moive was not as good as TDK, and I was okay with that. But I didn't even think it was a good movie, forget being on par with TDK. The movie was just a mess, nothing clicked with me. Story, characters, nothing.. I was disapointed on all fronts. That's really all I can say , but I really need to see it again. AndI really need some sleep. :crazy:

Holy shit.... That was one of, if not the best cinematic experience i have had!!!!
The film was fantastic, sure there were flaws but they were completely overshadowed by the emotional impact this film had on me. Bane was so ferocious it was incredible and Hathaway was perfect as were the rest of the cast. All this time obsessing and it was soooo worth it i wasn't dissapointed. A incredible and satisfying end to an amazing trilogy.

Brief instant reaction thoughts-

This film is a farcry from the blockbuster 'fun' summer entertainment it's supposedly a part of. The film is bleak, dark, disturbing, and often terrifying in Nolan's incredible boldness to deliver a story through a lense of real-world terrorism. Utterly sprawling in its storytelling and surprisingly empty on big action scenes, the film's an 'epic' I've been waiting years to see. It almost makes much of The Dark Knight seem superficial in comparison- it's spectacle for spectacles sake action sequences, whereas here much of the action is uncomfortable (Bane and his mercenaries walking into a stock exchange and instantly began firing upon innocent civilians leaving many lifeless bodies without blinking an eye) and devoid of 'fun', making Bane a far more dangerous character than The Joker ever hoped to be. The Dark Knight may have been the perfect blend of popcorn entertainment and mature, dramatic storytelling, but Rises has greater ambitions that escape summer fare and relies a biting realism and real-world stakes that echo 9/11. This is Christopher Nolan's most ambitious film in nearly every regard, and while it's clear at least 15 minutes of the film were cut out, leaving many superficial complaints
(the wallstreet fight is extremely brief, the end chase sequence is all too brief as well)
it's a spellbinding, inspiring epic deserving of becoming a classic.

-Vader

For me, the 2 hrs + 40 min went by in a flash. It could have been 3 hours--with 20 minutes used to let certain scenes breathe.
On the other hand, the pacing, while ferocious, is consistent. Nolan doesn't linger too long in any scene, nor does he cut any scene too short. I was satisfied and will easily sit though it again.