Worse than The Dark Knight?

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
07202012 wrote:The word "worse" has such a negative connotation that it's insulting.
:problem:
My thoughts exactly. it's like someone performed an inception on me. was it you :lol: ?

Batfan175 wrote:
07202012 wrote:The word "worse" has such a negative connotation that it's insulting.
:problem:
My thoughts exactly. it's like someone performed an inception on me. was it you :lol: ?
Guilty as charged.

07202012 wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:
Guilty as charged.
Well, sir, since you have admitted your own guilt in this matter this trial has no choice but to sentence you to death by exile :judge: .

:lol: .

The Dark Knight is one of my favorite movies ever. i would never expect a movie i haven't seen to be better than one of my favorite movies ever. that'd be extremely unfair to the movie i haven't seen yet. to be honest, after i saw TDK i couldn't imagine a follow-up. some fans here pish-posh reviewers who miss The Joker, but it's not just that--as amazing as the character and Ledger's performance was, it was what the character's nihilism and anarchy represented in counterpoint to Batman's struggle for some kind of order and justice, and it was how the Joker's almost random actions of terror defined the structure of the entire movie. this is not something that can be duplicated, and so after i saw TDK, as much as we knew a third movie would be coming, i couldn't even imagine it happening...because of all the pressure that Nolan would be under to somehow match the unmatchable with TDK. so i never have expected a movie better than TDK, but all the positive reviews and the promotional material have lead me to believe that i may be able to expect a movie that is in some ways at least on par with TDK and a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy (to be honest, an aspect i have never fully considered, the binding together of the stories from the first two).

i dearly love Inception and Memento (i've been a Nolan fan since Memento came out in theaters), as well, and don't necessarily expect TDKR to surpass those movies, either. but i guess you could say that i am hopeful that i will like the movie better than some of Nolan's other really good films like Batman Begins and The Prestige and Following, and would be surprised if i don't like it a lot more than his Insomnia remake.

I do think it's worse than The Dark Knight. There are much more flaws and doesn't handle its villain nearly as well. Not that Rises is a bad film, by any stretch of the imagination.
Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote: Thoughts on Michael Fassbender?
no ur a assbender

ArmandFancypants wrote:
SilverHeart wrote:Exactly. TDK didn't really try to be relevant, it just tried to be real.
No, but it was, it struck the zeitgiest in a way that no one could knowingly replicate. The film itself might be better, but it's never going to be that cultural event that TDK was. Ledger has a lot to do with that, not necessarily the performance, but the death coupled with the performance.
I read through this thread to see if anyone said what I am thinking, and you worded it better. I fully expect to be walking out of the theater with my friends at 3 in the morning in complete silence because Nolan and Co. topped themselves again, but I don't expect this film to have nearly the cultural significance that The Dark Knight did. That film changed action/drama/comic book films for an entire generation. Even if TDKR is better, I can't imagine it rewriting the book on action film again.

If it does, though...holy shit.

banepants wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:
No, but it was, it struck the zeitgiest in a way that no one could knowingly replicate. The film itself might be better, but it's never going to be that cultural event that TDK was. Ledger has a lot to do with that, not necessarily the performance, but the death coupled with the performance.
I read through this thread to see if anyone said what I am thinking, and you worded it better. I fully expect to be walking out of the theater with my friends at 3 in the morning in complete silence because Nolan and Co. topped themselves again, but I don't expect this film to have nearly the cultural significance that The Dark Knight did. That film changed action/drama/comic book films for an entire generation. Even if TDKR is better, I can't imagine it rewriting the book on action film again.

If it does, though...holy shit.

Whats going to happen over time, is that it will become know as The Dark Knight Trilogy classic. As time goes on, I don't think people will be obsessing so much as The Dark Knight being a cultural event as much as the whole trilogy itself.

I don't think so. Everyone I know in person (including myself) considers Batman Begins much weaker than The Dark Knight, with any sort of "classic" status impossible to confer on the first film.

Tourmie wrote:I don't think so. Everyone I know in person (including myself) considers Batman Begins much weaker than The Dark Knight, with any sort of "classic" status impossible to confer on the first film.

Really? Well, I know a lot of people who actually prefer Begins. Also, yea thats still right now. Im talking about in the future over time. Right now The Dark Knight is relatively recent. I mean, 20 years from now, people will see it more as a whole.

Tourmie wrote:I don't think so. Everyone I know in person (including myself) considers Batman Begins much weaker than The Dark Knight, with any sort of "classic" status impossible to confer on the first film.

There were things I liked and didn't like about BB and TDK. They were 2 different movies and I have a feeling that Nolan took the strong points of the 2 and tried to build TDKR off of them. I wish more of the reviews wouldn't just compare it to TDK but rather BB and TDK. This would give me a better understanding of the film and what point they're trying to get across by comparing this movie to anything else.