[SPOILERS] For Spoiled Eyes Only

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
I don't know if I'm ready to read any spoilers yet. But I'm really, really tired of tip-toeing around other forums, especially ones that are designed for speculation. So, can anybody who has or thinks they have or wants to lie and pretend they have a spoiler simply stick to this thread? And a spoiler in this context DOES NOT MEAN SPECULATION. It means that you know what actually happens and want to spoil it. This way, those who want to be spoiled can simply go here and get the spoiler. Also, that way, those who don't want to be spoiled can stay away.

For British eyes only.

This most recent clip showed that Bruce had catastrophic knee damage. Which squares with this description given by grovegnome yesterday.
grovegnome wrote:
Golden Age wrote:
What's the reason Bruce is using a cane? And if he's hurt that bad, how does he get better and fight crime?
He's that way at the start. He has catastrophic knee damage. It's implied he has some kind of implants that help him later on.
NoMoreDeadCops' final post also indicated that grovegnome has in fact seen the movie.
NoMoreDeadCops wrote:ATTENTION ALL!!!

The NF Forums user known as "grovegnome" knows all you'd ever want to know about TDKR and is not lying.

Not. One. Bit.

He is 100 percent correct.

I now know everything that happens and am overjoyed about what I have learned is in store for us in TDKR.

Is the film ruined for me? Of course not. Watching it unfold is the entire experience. You can hear about the basics of a magic trick but true joy is found in seeing it performed. I don't know ALL the twists just the basic outline of what goes down and for those of you curious, it is AMAZING.

But be careful. If "grovegnome" posts any more things in SPOILER tags, click at your own risk. You will be spoiled. I assure you.

For those of you who will respond to his telling me I'm full fo shit, or that the things "R2ind", "Talli", and now this "grovegnome" have posted are lies...I'd say "Screw you and die young you camel fuckers" like I usually would, but the recent pleasure of finally learning what really goes down in TDKR has me in a good mood. So I'll just say this. You will look foolish after all is said and done if you deny these claims. If dignity doesn't matter to you, by all means continue being foolish.
It seems that the rumored endings he posted are almost definitely true, then. For those of you who need a refresher, he said:
grovegnome wrote:Earlier in the film Alfred tells Bruce that while he was training in Asia, Alfred traveled the world and always hoped to see Bruce somewhere, just living his own life. He often saw someone resembling Bruce but it was never him.

The final scene has Alfred spot Bruce in a Parisian cafe sitting with Selina, living anonymously.
grovegnome wrote:Alfred also tries to tell Bruce about the letter from Rachel that he burned in TDK and what her real choice was, and Bruce accuses him of lying to manipulate him.
grovegnome wrote:It's not in Gotham, it's implied that it's in Paris or somewhere similar in Europe. This is supposedly during a trip Alfred s making and as I said it was set up earlier in the movie when Alfred told Bruce he traveled the world during the early events of BB and hoped to see Bruce somewhere along his travels, having moved past any obsession with his parents' deaths. He sees people that look like Bruce but it never was actually him.

So in the last scene Alfred is in the cafe and he catches a glimpse of him sitting in the same cafe... with Selina. This is after his supposed death. Last scene.
grovegnome wrote:Blake is not Robin but his name is literally John Robin Blake. At the end of the movie he resigns as a cop and throws his badge away. He already knows Bruce is Batman, and he discovers the batcave at Wayne manor by going through the waterfall. The square black monolith/cube that we see Bruce sitting on(that contains his suit) and that the Bat parks on rises out of the water, the implication being that Blake will take over.

I'm calling BS until I see it with my own eyes.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

DoubleD wrote:I'm calling BS until I see it with my own eyes.
Either way, it'll be settled by the end of next week. And whatever it is, we know the ending is awesome.

I'm copying my posts from plot speculation over here. I'm starting to think this is a more appropriate thread for them.
EnzoTheBaker wrote:Serious discussion of possible spoilers ahead. Do not read if you want to avoid the possibility of knowing the end of the film. In fact, it's probably better to leave the internet entirely for the next two weeks if that's your goal, seeing how many rumors, legitimate or not, have been openly discussed without spoiler tags on the past 5 pages.
POSSIBLE ENDING BELOW

Over the past few days, the ending released by R2ind has been ridiculed as being obviously fake, which was my initial reaction as well. However, after reading similar information in a few other locations, and seeing other users confirm or not deny the alleged plot, my opinion is beginning to shift. It is entirely possible that R2ind made up spoilers and passed them off as true, inventing a story about how he saw the screening. That's certainly happened before. It's also possible that he made multiple accounts to back up or verify his information. Not unheard of on the internet. And it's possible that users like Talli and NoMoreDeadCops are either playing along, or were fooled by several repeated false rumors around the web. Or that Talli saw it, and is pulling another "Warrior" moment; Blake's name is spiritually Robin; that doesn't mean that Talli was lying if he says it's true, even if the name is ever in the movie. However, the sheer repetition of this report, and a number of other coincidences, have finally convinced me that this is quite possibly the actual ending, and I want to discuss it below.

The basic synopsis of this ending is that after a fight with Bane, and a revealing flashback sequence of Bane and Talia's history, Bruce gets stabbed by Miranda/Talia. Bruce then saves the city from the doomsday device in an apparently suicidal act. In the aftermath, the movie follows Blake, Alfred, and Gordon as the city is rebuilt, and Bruce is honored as a hero. Blake's full name is at some point mentioned to be John Robin Blake (although he is never Bruce's sidekick and he never wears a suit), and there is a shot of him inside of the Batcave. The film ends when Alfred sees Selina and Bruce alive in some European cafe.

First, I want to look at the information that supposedly contradicts R2ind's description of the plot. Was it debunked by Scoop and Shape over at SHH? Not really. What they stated was that the final shot is neither a shot of two people or a shot of a cafe. It's entirely possible that the final shot is of Alfred, or of Selina, or the camera rising into the sky, or some other random shot that is not technically of the cafe or of Selina and Bruce, meaning that scene is still possible. Although this hardly confirms anything, it is interesting that they debunked the 4chan supposed ending and not this one. They did confirm that they don't think the CGI rumor was true, which means the cafe ending is still possible. The scene also squares with very early set reports that a shooting took place with Bruce and Alfred, and possibly Selina, at an open cafe in Greenwich. I believe this is that location:

Secondly, there is the argument that this ending does not wrap up the trilogy, in direct contradiction to claims made by Nolan and other members of the production team. However, it does provide an end to the story in two very important ways.
Rachel: The man I loved - the man who vanished - he never came back at all. But maybe he's still out there, somewhere. Maybe some day, when Gotham no longer needs Batman, I'll see him again.
The two parts I consider to be essential to a conclusive, full circle ending are that 1) Gotham no longer needs Batman, and 2) Bruce has a life outside of Batman. By sacrificing everything for Gotham, Bruce has shown them that "their city doesn't belong to the criminals and the corrupt." He is the "hero with a face" that Gotham can idolize, one they can rally behind, one who isn't tainted by corruption like Harvey Dent. On the second point, we have heard many times that Bruce starts this movie unable to let go of his pain, and unable to let go of Batman. Alfred's primary goal throughout this movie is to get him to continue with his life, which leads to that emotional speech we've seen multiple clips of throughout the trailers. The day could finally come when Bruce "no longer needs Batman." Seeing Bruce living like a real person again, having real happiness again, is a satisfying, conclusive ending. It also squares with comic book influences; if you've read The Dark Knight Returns, the idea of Bruce faking his death through a heroic act so that he can finally retire is not a foreign concept. John Blake having an ambiguous future does not make the series any less cohesive. It's never announced that he's Robin. What it does is provide a hint of the future of Gotham, and actually strengthens the idea that Gotham is now safe. Nolan didn't know he was coming back for a second movie after Batman Begins, but he put an ending leading to a specific future anyways, so we know he's not opposed to that concept. That doesn't mean I would call Begins open-ended. It's story was over. With this ending, Blake's story might not be over. But Bruce's story is over. The League of Shadows' story is over. Gotham's story is over. It does conclude the trilogy.

Finally, the most common argument about the R2ind rumors is that they sound terrible. Since we have multiple reports claiming the 15 minutes are pretty much some of the best moments in cinematic history, we can rule the spoilers wrong outright. However, I think this can be chalked up not to the rumors being fake, but to R2ind having a crappy ability to describe the plot. His earlier spoiler said that John Blake is actually Robin. That honestly sounds like a retarded plot twist. How can he actually be Robin the entire movie? And announcing that he's Robin sounds like an equally terrible idea. What later posters have said is that his name is John Robin Blake, which could be slipped in to the film. It's noticeable to the fans, but it doesn't have any actual effect on the film's reality. How could they do this in a not terrible way? This is part speculation on my part, but it seems like being the last heir of the Wayne family would leave Bruce with a lot of assets, which would be given away in his will. If, during the last moments, we see the future of Gotham, and we hear Bruce's will being read, it's entirely possible that he would entrust the technology in the Batcave to a young, idealistic, good cop, who he has come to respect and admire. One who's full legal name, revealed in voice-over, is John Robin Blake. That's only one possible way this could play out effectively, but it proves that just because an idea sounds terrible on paper, it doesn't mean that it has to be in a Christopher Nolan movie.

My feelings about this ending are mixed. I ran into it accidentally, and while I'm not personally opposed to spoilers, it is a lot of information to accept, and it was a bit shocking coming to the realization that all this might be true.
On the other hand, those of you who don't want any spoilers can take hope. Everything I said could still be bullshit. Either way, we'll all find out the truth soon enough.
EnzoTheBaker wrote:Also, I now feel like this ending really works with the Tale of Two Cities parallels that have been discussed,
especially by McChekhov. Taking his assumption that Darnay represents Bruce and Carton represents Batman (or that they are otherwise amalgamated), it makes sense that Batman will die sacrificially while Bruce escapes in secret. Plus the spoilery description matches the ending of Tale of Two Cities fairly nicely. Except instead of a prophetic vision by Carton, the audience will actually see it in the movie.
I see a beautiful city and a brilliant people rising from this abyss, and, in their struggles to be truly free, in their triumphs and defeats, through long years to come, I see the evil of this time and of the previous time of which this is the natural birth, gradually making expiation for itself and wearing out. I see the lives for which I lay down my life, peaceful, useful, prosperous and happy... I see that I hold a sanctuary in their hearts, and in the hearts of their descendants, generations hence. I see... that my name is made illustrious... I see the blots I threw upon it, faded away.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.
If that's not a good ending for the trilogy, then I don't know what is.

So if it's true, and what you have in spoiler tags is true, would you be happy/satisfied with that ending?
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

DoubleD wrote:So if it's true, and what you have in spoiler tags is true, would you be happy/satisfied with that ending?
Yes I would. Although I feel like a lot of people other than Nolan telling the story would make that ending sound awful. Actually, a big chunk of the wall of text hidden under those spoiler tags is me talking about how I do think it will be satisfying. Selectively editing, for those who don't want to read spoilers/those who don't want to read a page worth of discussion:
It does provide an end to the story
It is a satisfying, conclusive ending. It also squares with comic book influences.
That's only one possible way this could play out effectively, but it proves that just because an idea sounds terrible on paper, it doesn't mean that it has to be in a Christopher Nolan movie.
If that's not a good ending for the trilogy, then I don't know what is.

Okay so it's confirmed Bruce has damage to his knees to start the film, but how does he end up getting better?

He obviously gets back in the suit in pursuit of Selina, then encounters Bane, gets smashed, thrown in prison, trains, escapes and comes back to bust skulls, but how does he get his knee healed? He's training in the prison but if a billionaire playboy can't even get his knee fixed in society with the best doctors money can buy, how does he get it fixed in a prison?

DoubleD wrote:So if it's true, and what you have in spoiler tags is true, would you be happy/satisfied with that ending?
I'm undecided at this point.
The bit with John Blake finding the Batcave and it being implied that he will take over doesn't make much sense. Bruce was only able to be Batman because he had all that martial arts training plus the LoS training. A John Blake Batman would just be a cop dressed up in black.

Golden Age wrote:Okay so it's confirmed Bruce has damage to his knees to start the film, but how does he end up getting better?

He obviously gets back in the suit in pursuit of Selina, then encounters Bane, gets smashed, thrown in prison, trains, escapes and comes back to bust skulls, but how does he get his knee healed? He's training in the prison but if a billionaire playboy can't even get his knee fixed in society with the best doctors money can buy, how does he get it fixed in a prison?
There is a simple explanation for this:
He wades into the Lazarus Pit up to his knees! :lol: