TDKR General Information

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
radewart wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 7:22 pm
WTF, I know TDKR has it's detractors, but even they like the opening plane heist sequence that he was in.

Also, the dude has been in worse and given worse performances. That Guy Ritchie King Arthur movie, Maze Runner films, season seven of GOT, this last season of Peaky Blinders.
It was one of the most loved scenes in the trilogy I thought he did well in it

Ace
Marion Cotillard: her "little personal revenge" after her failed death in Batman

https://www.voici.fr/news-people/actu- ... man-708217

In the feature film in competition, the character played by Marion Cotillard does not die once, but several times! A godsend for Marion, who finally takes her revenge after her failed death in Batman . “ So yes I thought of myself and I said to myself, as I had really messed up a death once, I chose a movie where I would die about fifteen times to try to make up for it, ” said Marion. Cotillard laughing.

Marion Cotillard admitted not having “ thought immediately ” of the desire to take revenge at the time in Annette . “ So I was obviously talking about my big scene in Christopher Nolan's Batman ... Then I can find excuses, we don't do good takes too ... Anyway, we're not going to talk about it but hey it's true that when I was preparing for all these deaths, at one point it made me laugh. I said, ' ok so this is my little personal revenge ' '”, Says Cotillard. And with so many deaths, her revenge is a dish that is eaten cold, very cold, even.

I've done everything I could in that moment in recreating that moment for myself, asking what she should have done differently from her "alive" to "dead" moments. And it's hard to envision something that doesn't look silly or poorly acted. I suppose she could leave her eyes open, but everything bad about it stems from the following:

1) Her position in the seat. The head bounce is a result of how her neck is curled up, and it makes for a weird look.

2) She is not bloodied or battered, and upon watching you don't even know/realize that she's dying in that moment. The novelization speaks on it like she is bludgeoned all over the place.

3) She is speaking sort of "normally," once again not really on the brink of death. Normally in films you get some cues, such as feeling like you're really gasping for air or you're fading away.

4) The editing. Maybe they could have cut away in certain ways, like after she says "My father's work is finished," have Batman fleeing and Gordon following him with "What are you doing?!" only to turn back and see that she is passed.

5) I guarantee you Nolan did one take and moved on. This is one of those things that sometimes happens with him, and this is one of those moments where I feel he just didn't have his heart in the moment. "It's fine, we're good. Let's go."

6) She looks like she passed out... and that's the story that I'm going with for the rest of time on her fate. Nothing says that she died at any point, and there is nothing wrong with her not having died in that moment as well. She passes out, Batman saves the day, and she's arrested with the rest of the terrorists and seizers. Sounds good to me.

I mean... I kind of see why Aidan Gillen's not proud of his performance in The Dark Knight Rises because... well, he's not particularly good in it. I revisited that film recently and, even though I quite like it and think it's a bit underrated, that opening scene is a mess. The same goes for Marion Cotillard, who provides one of the most unintentionally hilarious death scenes in a major Hollywood blockbuster. It's a pretty entertaining flick overall, but there are some strange choices that Nolan made on it.

HorrorBiz wrote:
September 26th, 2021, 2:32 am
I mean... I kind of see why Aidan Gillen's not proud of his performance in The Dark Knight Rises because... well, he's not particularly good in it. I revisited that film recently and, even though I quite like it and think it's a bit underrated, that opening scene is a mess. The same goes for Marion Cotillard, who provides one of the most unintentionally hilarious death scenes in a major Hollywood blockbuster. It's a pretty entertaining flick overall, but there are some strange choices that Nolan made on it.
Disagree about the opening scene. Also, I think Gillen's performance was not not good. Nolan's representation of a CIA agent on the writing (Jonah or him, or both, whoever did it) is what may not be a mindful approach on the small role and its intent for the character. That's where I see the difference. Hell, I believe Gillen has had more odd striking performances in the past and yet the one he regrets seems to be mainly due to the backlash (he kind of made a point about it) from a certain amount of people who made fun of it because it was also a widely recognized film.

Marion Cotillard was good but her "death" scene was an odd one, yeah. I agree that Nolan did make a few weird choices for TDKR. One of them, which might be a better scene to complain about if you ask me, is the scene at the rooftop where bats and cat fight the "trained killers".

Anyway, I still think it's a really good film (at small points just good). Way better than most superhero films out there in my opinion.

KEM

Ace

Ace

Shame they skip over The Prestige.