Episode 61: Hustling the Audience

Here you will find everything that has anything to do with our podcast. This includes topics of discussion on the show and polls that we'll frequently mention.
Live podcast Wednesday, October 30 at 10:30 pm ET. This is for everyone who missed the first one. :)

----

On yet another LIVE episode of the Nolan Fans Podcast, hosts Alex Haas and Teddy Blass once again dive into a frustration fueled discussion about IMAX. The two discuss the future of IMAX and how that relates to the release of Interstellar, as well as future Christopher Nolan films. The live stream was conducted this past Wednesday, but the audio download is available now.

[mp3] [iTunes]

I'm gonna be at school, and even then I won't be avaliable!!!!!!! I don't like this schedule.

Yeah the schedule is not very accommodating for international members. Nonetheless I will try to stop by yo.

One hour to go yo.

Could you change it to 8:30 EST? It'd help me at least, cause 10:30 EST is a little late, and I'm usually doing something else then.

Love the IMAX talk! But in regards to the whole film vs. digital projection... I too love the format, and certainly prefer the large format, but I have to say that the true film IMAX theater I went to for TDKR was cool, but I think I enjoyed the digital projection in a conventional theater better. The image was brighter and clearer. That's not to say that the film version was terrible, but there was a tradeoff. Anyway.. after listening to the podcast, I'm in the camp that if we can get the big IMAX screen presentation in the proper resolution, I'm ok with digital projection. I don't know if the 4,000p image will be proper resolution or not.

I'm equating it this way. I much prefer native film for photographing... but a natively filmed IMAX movie looks completely awesome on Blu-ray on a good HD TV... Digital projection may be the best way to present the image in as good a quality as possible, so I'm open to it. Digital video is getting better, but film just has a different character, and a proper digital transfer is the best of both worlds, and in that regard I'm all for it. I'd much rather see a 70mm film print than a digital projection at a lower resolution than optimum. I'm with you there.

Also, we're going to get to a point where Nolan can't fight digital projection, just because they're going to ditch it at some point. We don't watch film at home, but we have our blu-rays, which is the highest quality medium to view at home. Film projectors just aren't available. Nolan will adapt when he has to.