Hans Zimmer is Already Writing for Nolan's Interstellar

Nolan Fans forum announcements and news updates are posted here. Forum rules are also posted here. Using our message boards means you understand and accept all rules.

Perhaps less surprising than when it was revealed Michael Caine was joining the cast, our friends at Collider revealed this weekend that Hans Zimmer will be scoring Christopher Nolan's Interstellar. Zimmer started working with Nolan in 2005 when he co-scored Batman Begins with James Newton Howard. Nolan's next film, The Prestige, featured a score by David Julyan, a friend of Christopher's who scored the director's previous films. But in 2010 Christopher Nolan chose Hans Zimmer to score Inception, solidifying the working relationship between the two. Their collaboration proved so successful that James Newton Howard gracefully chose not to return for The Dark Knight Rises because he wanted Zimmer and Nolan to continue growing together.

So it comes as no surprise when Hans Zimmer revealed that he would be working with Christopher Nolan again for Interstellar. What is a little surprising is that Hans revealed he's already starting writing for the film. In regards to starting conversations with the director, the composer told Collider: “I wrote something…and I’m writing that. So, yes, we have started.”

I for one am quite excited to hear what Zimmer will do. He's never really done a sci-fi film of this nature, and the possibilities seem infinite. Zimmer typically starts work on Nolan's films before the director starts shooting. Interstellar will begin production this August in Canada, and is set for release in theaters and IMAX on November 7, 2014.

I can totally see Zimmer going a little outside of his comfort zone with this, or at least I hope he does. I mean he's my favorite film composer, and pretty much this generation's John Williams, but drum circles and weird string sounds only go so far.

I would be surprised to see a cross between Vangelis' BLADE RUNNER, and the Thus Spoke Zarathustra from 2001.

Who knows what Zimmer will do. But something very synth-based, but parhaps written in major mode is what I am guessing.

I think this will be really good!

Do you guys know when "Interstellar" start production??

Aline wrote:I think this will be really good!

Do you guys know when "Interstellar" start production??
They'll be in Canada filming in August. I've heard rumors of a small amount of filming perhaps happening this month as well.

So all articles on the main page from now on will be posted in the News board? Perhaps linking it to the Interstellar board would have been a better idea, otherwise, there might be unnecessary duplication of threads.

Just my 2 cents.

oracle86 wrote:So all articles on the main page from now on will be posted in the News board? Perhaps linking it to the Interstellar board would have been a better idea, otherwise, there might be unnecessary duplication of threads.

Just my 2 cents.
We thought about that, and this is the better option we believe. These threads will be for comments and discussion pertaining the news article, and will be replacing the comments section on the front page.

Therefore having their own dedicated section is more organized and logical.