How to plan a Screenplay

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

I have this idea for a screenplay, but I've never had experience in making one before. I was wondering if anyone could help me in the planning the ideas before I actually starting typing it up. like characters and their personalities, themes, scenarios, etc.

Do you know how to write an outline? That is what I usually do, write all the major plot points with little to no dialogue at all then write a screenplay using that outline. Also, I usually base my characters off my actors that I know I will use or from shows/movies. Oh and remember all of your action has to get better as the film progresses. Your first act should not surpass the third, etc.

BlairCo wrote:I have this idea for a screenplay, but I've never had experience in making one before. I was wondering if anyone could help me in the planning the ideas before I actually starting typing it up. like characters and their personalities, themes, scenarios, etc.
Blair I could tell you all I do though I'm hardly a pro, in fact I often think I do it all wrong.. :silent: but I don't mind if you want.

lalyil wrote:
BlairCo wrote:I have this idea for a screenplay, but I've never had experience in making one before. I was wondering if anyone could help me in the planning the ideas before I actually starting typing it up. like characters and their personalities, themes, scenarios, etc.
Blair I could tell you all I do though I'm hardly a pro, in fact I often think I do it all wrong.. :silent: but I don't mind if you want.
I'm not planning anything major. I'm simply doing this for leisure. I would really appreciate some tips, lalyil.

The Best thing is to actually SIT DOWN and START writing!!

You can use tools like Celtx , and also go through some screenplays of movies on imsdb.

This is a really useful guide as to the process of writing, from concept to final draft:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.ph ... to-proceed

As for formatting and all that, firstly, download CeltX which is a free screenwriting software at www.celtx.com

There are plenty of tutorials about how to structure a screenplay, just a google search away, but here's a start:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.ph ... riting-Faq

that second thread is full of resources for screenwriting, including books, if you want to get really serious about it.

But honestly, here's the truth: If you're going to direct it, and if it's nothing more than a fun weekend project with mates, don't stress about it. If you can understand what is going on, and you're the director, you should be fine.

If you want to get serious about screenwriting and filmmaking in general, I advise you to learn as much as you can, and write as much as you can. Even if it goes nowhere. Each finished script that sits at the bottom of your drawer is an exercise which will teach you way more than reading about it, and as you develop as a filmmaker, you'll be able to go back, improve upon and make the film if you choose to do so, much like Nolan did with Inception.

I hope that helps in some way. I'm no expert, but I do have a year or two of experience under my belt in terms of screenwriting.

Good luck! :twothumbsup:

3x5 cards, and a lot of them. Use them to plot out scenes and turns. After this, hammer out draft after draft and get to know the characters a little better each time.