Feature Film Writing

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

movieman1005 wrote:Have done majority shorts and am continuing that, but now am writing few feature length and one of them is giving me this weird feeling, something different. I feel like the more I write it the more surprises come to me to write and that something big will come to me as I continue. It's a really cool feeling. You know when you're writing and there's that excitement that you cannot fully describe, but it's just- enticing?
omfg, I have that feeling. It's really cool.
I feel the exact same thing.

movieman1005 wrote:Have done majority shorts and am continuing that, but now am writing few feature length and one of them is giving me this weird feeling, something different. I feel like the more I write it the more surprises come to me to write and that something big will come to me as I continue. It's a really cool feeling. You know when you're writing and there's that excitement that you cannot fully describe, but it's just- enticing?
The feeling is mutual

I'm still writing shorts (my longest was 21 pages. lol). I don't think I'll ever find the time to write a feature film in the next few years, but I'd like to.

I finished ÍDEM, and it's 121 pages.
I'm so happy with the story, it's really great.

Erik wrote:I just finished me newest screenplay (well finished, it's still a first draft). It is a feature film which is best to be discribed as a 'Teenage Romance'. It is totally not my style of films, but I got this idea, just started writing it down and got really attracted by the story.

Plot: After their parents had forbidden the relationship of Esmee (15) and Matthijs (20), they runaway from home and end up together in Australia where they try to start a new life.

Half the movie is set in Holland, the other half in Australia. This is the third feature film script I wrote and broke my old record in how long it is (my old record was 89, this one is 127).
Interesting, But where is the engine in the story? Where is the passion? the tagline? What makes this story unique? Sorry for diggin, just interested since you have written so many pages :)

Jonas Agersø wrote:Interesting, But where is the engine in the story? Where is the passion? the tagline? What makes this story unique? Sorry for diggin, just interested since you have written so many pages :)
Well, the best part of the story is that it is non-liniair. If I hadn't done this, people would probably think the movie was way too long. But the main reason I did this, was because I needed to explain how they got to Australia, and what happens in Australia. Yet, most viewers want to know what happens in Australia, they want to see the 'love' between those two. So that's why I cut the story and pieces, I needed to tell the story the viewer needs to know and the story the viewer wants to know the same time to make sure I do not lose the intereset of the viewer.
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

I normally write plot outlines, but can never write a script, because I can't write dialouge at all. I can have a couple of great one-liners. However the rest of it is bland. Does anyone know how to write dialouge, to some it comes naturally, but is there anyway to enhance it?

Watch a lot of movies.
Create an imaginary friend and talk to him. (Really)

The Silent Guardian wrote:I normally write plot outlines, but can never write a script, because I can't write dialouge at all. I can have a couple of great one-liners. However the rest of it is bland. Does anyone know how to write dialouge, to some it comes naturally, but is there anyway to enhance it?
Write it, then speak it. If it doesn't sound natural coming out of your mouth then it won't sound natural coming out of anyone's mouth. Or if you're more bold, have a friend read it and see how it sounds. Having others read your work out loud is one of the best ways to critique your own work.

I'm more interested in how a story plays out than what the story is. I saw Training Day really recently, it's not a particularly original idea but you can just appreciate the way the film plays out.

I'm writing 1 feature length film at the moment, about how the lives of a retired hitman, a small time gangster and an assassination witness cross and coincide after a drug deal goes wrong. The thing is, when it comes to a story, you've got to treat not only the story itself, but the ideas within it, so, for example, my story is about the knock on effects of murder and violence in a community, and how easily a life can get ruined by it.