Best Editing Software

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

I have searched around the forum, and I haven't found any topic about it. So I decided to start one.
Well, I'm working on a short-film and I have reached the step where I have to pick one editing software. I think this choice is very important, not just in terms of the film quality, but more about our work efficiency. Knowing how to work with the software and which tools to use will save us plenty of time. So, I don't really know which program to use.
There are three or four widely used: AVID, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas. Perhaps AVID and Final Cut Pro, are too "professional" for an amateur filmmaker, but are they that difficult or too ambitious? Or are Adobe and Sony good enough to any editor?
So I would like to know your personal opinion, not just for me, but to everyone, because I think this is crucial in the process of making a movie.

Have you edited anything before? All of the programs pretty much does the same thing, its up to you to create the magic.

Jonas Agersø wrote:Have you edited anything before? All of the programs pretty much does the same thing, its up to you to create the magic.
I've used Sony Vegas, but I'm trying Adobe. I also would like to try Avid

There is even Lightwork, which is used by pros and it's free.

(A stable Windows version should be out soon, if not yet, but I guess even the beta should be quite stable by now)

Final Cut Pro X is amazing because it imports these huge, gigantic video files quickly.

Fernando wrote:Final Cut Pro X is amazing because it imports these huge, gigantic video files quickly.
Final Cut Pro X is a joke in comparison to the previous editions. It's more like iMovie Pro than anything.

Any professional non-linear editing software, whether Adobe, Avid, Final Cut, etc... they all import "gigantic" video files quickly, assuming you have a decent amount of RAM. Although, I wouldn't consider the files you're getting from your 7D gigantic.

Crazy Eight wrote:
Fernando wrote:Final Cut Pro X is amazing because it imports these huge, gigantic video files quickly.
Final Cut Pro X is a joke in comparison to the previous editions. It's more like iMovie Pro than anything.
Yeah Man... Apple totally pissed me off when they released that, all the hype then we get an insult to the filmmakers, I wold have been fine if they called it Imovie pro, or even this was a new version of FC express, but to call it professional software is trolling .... I'm still sticking with FCP7... until I can get AVID, which will be in a couple of months.
Crazy Eight wrote:Any professional non-linear editing software, whether Adobe, Avid, Final Cut, etc... they all import "gigantic" video files quickly, assuming you have a decent amount of RAM. Although, I wouldn't consider the files you're getting from your 7D gigantic.
yep... 7D files aren't that big in the grand scheme of things.

Crazy Eight wrote:

Any professional non-linear editing software, whether Adobe, Avid, Final Cut, etc... they all import "gigantic" video files quickly, assuming you have a decent amount of RAM. Although, I wouldn't consider the files you're getting from your 7D gigantic.
Oh, definitely. I despise FPX and it is very much so iMovie updated. I just like using it to compile montages of movies. I wasn't mentioning my 7D's files as being "gigantic"- I meant full 3-hour HD movies that I could just drop in and get a scene from. I use FCP 7 for most everything. Courtesy of TPB :thumbup: :shh:

And I work on a retardedly slow MacBook. It's the white one and it has about 3 GB left, had it since 2009 and it's not even mine, it's the whole house's. Saving up to get an iMac :-D

Crazy Eight wrote:
I saw Final Cut did another update, is this anything to get excited over or is FCP a lost cause?

Sony Vegas has one of the best time stretching features around. Like no matter how much you lengthen or shorten an audio clip, it remains relatively intact, no chipmunk voices nor much distortion.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.