Lightworks is now open source (free)!!!

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

Back in April 2010, we announced our plans to take Lightworks open source and the first stage in doing that was to make the application freely available. So we are very pleased to reach this first stage and offer a free download of the most intuitive and advanced editor available. Lightworks is an Academy and Emmy award winning professional-grade editor with over 20 years of history in the film and broadcast industry. Having cut hundreds of films such as Pulp Fiction, The Departed, Centurion and Shutter Island, it includes a full feature set of editorial tools, from advanced trimming and media management, through to stereoscopic support and realtime effects including multiple secondary colour correctors. Lightworks has an advanced effects pipeline, utilizing the power of your GPU. And with support for up to 2K workflows with realtime effects, it is the most advanced editing application available.

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

Register, Login, Download

So far only the Windows executable is ready for download :think: .

I'm gonna test this out right now.

prince0gotham wrote:I'm gonna test this out right now.
tell me how it goes

Well this is weird. The exe is 15 mbs and after instalation when I try to run it it shuts down automatically after 'loading' everything. Seems like a very light program, but I did doubt I'd have to reboot after the instalation (it told me to) and I do hope that's the reason for it shutting down by itself.

Nah, things don't look good, I just read the bug section in the forums.

And people keep reporting that it messed up with their system and it doesn't boot anymore. I'm sitting this one out and am gonna deinstall it, hope I don't have problems after that.

Have you all installed the Matrox VFW codecs?

EDIT: Crashes after Spash screen for me too :(

yeah i installed em but gonna uninstall em too
now im scared to reboot
great

Apparently there's a workaround; "find the ntcardvt.exe file in the programme folder and double click on it to launch the programme."

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/index.php ... id=202#135

prince0gotham, I just restarted and didn't have the BSoD error that users have been reporting :D.

Andreas Photiou wrote:Apparently there's a workaround; "find the ntcardvt.exe file in the programme folder and double click on it to launch the programme."

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/index.php ... id=202#135

prince0gotham, I just restarted and didn't have the BSoD error that users have been reporting :D.
Yeah I found the info about that alternative way to run the program but there were other comments about issues about the process of working with the program itself + the fear of BSODS so I just felt I had to get rid of it. I hope you don't have problems, as for me - i'm better off with premiere.