[Question] What are the chances?

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

CrazyEight wrote:
Jonas Agersø wrote:Since when was it about chances? You are either good, or you're not. Create your own luck.
That'd be great, if it were true.
It is? You think Nolan got to where he is now, by just being lucky?

It is? You think Nolan got to where he is now, by just being lucky?

Your naive to think that you can make it in Hollywood just because your talented. It's about playing the game, who your "friends" are, whether your style will sell or not, and yes luck. Every famous filmmaker has had there "lucky" break. There's tons of really great filmmakers that never made it big because they didn't have the right combination of what I listed above. Simply being talented is only a small part of the equation.

CrazyEight wrote:It is? You think Nolan got to where he is now, by just being lucky?

Your naive to think that you can make it in Hollywood just because your talented. It's about playing the game, who your "friends" are, whether your style will sell or not, and yes luck. Every famous filmmaker has had there "lucky" break. There's tons of really great filmmakers that never made it big because they didn't have the right combination of what I listed above. Simply being talented is only a small part of the equation.
Bingo.

Yeah, unfortunately,
wish you were wrong.

CrazyEight wrote:It is? You think Nolan got to where he is now, by just being lucky?

You create your own luck by putting yourself in positions where "luck" can even become a factor, where a "lucky break" could even happen. Who you're connected to and the game become part of the equation only after you demonstrate some semblance of talent (a film, a script, something). A lot of those "connections" happen because someone or someones believe in you, and ultimately, want to give you a shot.

Being talented is a BIG part of it. That "lucky break" you'll be chasing, and those "connections" you have? They don't mean jack shit if you can't back it up. And even if your first film tanks at the box office, if it's a GOOD film, you WILL get hired again (now if you make 2 or 3 in a row that tank, you may be done). But that only comes from having talent-- talent and Box Office grosses are what make people trust you. They're what get you films, especially in the long run. But you don't get to the point of making films that even GO to the box office without having talent.

What do you consider a lucky break? I'd love to hear about some of the great and talented filmmakers that didn't make it because they didn't get one.

You create your own luck by putting yourself in positions where "luck" can even become a factor, where a "lucky break" could even happen. Who you're connected to and the game become part of the equation only after you demonstrate some semblance of talent (a film, a script, something). A lot of those "connections" happen because someone or someones believe in you, and ultimately, want to give you a shot.

Being talented is a BIG part of it. That "lucky break" you'll be chasing, and those "connections" you have? They don't mean jack shit if you can't back it up. And even if your first film tanks at the box office, if it's a GOOD film, you WILL get hired again (now if you make 2 or 3 in a row that tank, you may be done). But that only comes from having talent-- talent and Box Office grosses are what make people trust you. They're what get you films, especially in the long run. But you don't get to the point of making films that even GO to the box office without having talent.

What do you consider a lucky break? I'd love to hear about some of the great and talented filmmakers that didn't make it because they didn't get one.
Is this supposed to be an argument of some kind against my comment? Because I agree with everything you just said...

And if you don't think that great filmmakers haven't made it big, just look at class numbers from film schools. 99% of the filmmakers that graduate from USC, Chapman, UCLA, etc... won't become big and successful filmmakers like Chris Nolan. They may find success, but that's different then making it big. Or look on Vimeo, there's tons of talented filmmakers still doing shorts despite being older.

5%, but I don't care, I'll be a filmmaker.

CrazyEight wrote:
Is this supposed to be an argument of some kind against my comment? Because I agree with everything you just said...

And if you don't think that great filmmakers haven't made it big, just look at class numbers from film schools. 99% of the filmmakers that graduate from USC, Chapman, UCLA, etc... won't become big and successful filmmakers like Chris Nolan. They may find success, but that's different then making it big. Or look on Vimeo, there's tons of talented filmmakers still doing shorts despite being older.
You're saying that being talented is a small part of making it-- I'm saying that being talented is a much bigger aspect then you make it sound. Have you seen the majority of work from USC, UCLA, Chapman, etc? Most of it isn't very good (and I include myself in that category).

All I'm saying is that from my perspective, I can't even count the number of people I hear complaining about looking for a break. You're right-- most people won't make it. But, and I hate to say it, most people don't have the talent to make it, either.

Here's the thing-- there's no such thing as undiscovered "genius" in Hollywood. Execs out here DO want new talent-- they DO want to help young and/or new, exciting filmmakers, if for nothing more then being able to say "I found him." There are emails that circulate to all the execs weekly, and tracking boards dedicated entirely to the Vimeo and short film directors out there. And people get meetings because of them-- in the last 6 months alone I can name you three filmmakers that got development deals because of their shorts, and even more that got agents.

CrazyEight wrote: