Suggestions Needed - Planning to Shoot a Movie This Weekend

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

Hi, my fellow Nolan fans!

Doodlebug inspired me to make a short film. I first tried writing a mystery movie (yes, mystery, inspired by our man) but it wasn't very convincing for me, so I dropped it.

Next, I tried a script on a short comedy, I even called up some of my friends and shot for 2 hours. It was an amazing and a depressing experience. Amazing because I was doing something I had never imagined I would ever do in my life; depressing because I realized, while shooting, that the script sucked, and my directing has to be improved (astronomically).

Now, I'm shooting a drama-like short which may run from 2 to 4 minutes. I've the script ready and called up some of my friends this weekend to my place for shooting it. If you've any suggestions, please drop a line, I'll very much appreciate it.

This is my general idea that I have:
  • It's a conversation mainly between two characters, so planning to shoot it on a dinner table
  • Since I've no idea about camera and stuff, I'm planning to shoot it as a black and white movie. I like b/w for some reason - simple, effective, and more to the point (my opinion)
And here, my questions:
  • I need a good but free video editing software that will allow me to add titles, fade-out, add background music, and add credits to the movie
  • I just have a camcoder (from my friend) which can record in Standard Definition. I don't know if I can shoot in black and white with it, I've no idea. Is it possible to convert a video from color to black and white using any free software if shooting in black and white is not an option?
  • Audio: How can I make sure it's not noisy but of good quality possible with just that camera? Should I buy a mike and record with it? What will be your advice?
  • Any other general suggestions?
Thanks!

For effects and back-ground music you could try Windows Movie Maker. Also be sure to have a good plot and good actors. Those are the main things for a good movie :thumbup:

dagn96 wrote:For effects and back-ground music you could try Windows Movie Maker. Also be sure to have a good plot and good actors. Those are the main things for a good movie :thumbup:
dagn96, thanks for that suggestion!

Plot is very simple. No twists, no turns. But, that was deliberate. I tried a comedy, which had some plot, but I wasn't upto it. So, I'm trying something very simple to begin with.

Actors - I'm just trying with my friends, and they are first timers. Hopefully, they will do well :D

It doesn't matter about your editing software as long as you don't plan on any OTT effects. Just try and get one that has black and white.