My first and latest short film "Xbox Lover"

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

I'm a young film maker and Chris Nolan happens to be one of my favorite directors at the moment. I'm 15 and love to watch and make movies. Xbox Lover is a short comedy that my friends and I made about a mounth ago just to get my film making experience started. In less then a month were going to make our biggest movie of the summer entitled "The Rundown" which you can learn more about on our website. Enjoy and please any feed back I get can help me to get better as I go along. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uLBGMq_cR8

Pretty good! Looking forward to more works. :)

Um. Kinda ridiculous but it's still good.

:D Not bad. It had no plot, but it's OK. Try having some plot in your next film. You're 15? Wow, I'm 22, and I feel old now. You're 7 years ahead of me, all the best on your next film, keep us posted out here! :thumbup:

Thanks for all of the kind comments. I think it is pretty bad, in fact I hate it, but my next one is better. And you guys are right, it has no plot what so ever. The movie didn't really go as planned and it was kind of a last second thing. It's tough to really create a good plot and characters when you only have at maximum a 10 minute time frame, and your working with imature mono tone voiced actors. :( But hey, once the school year starts I should be able to make better movies with a wider selection of people to chose from. You wouldn't beleive how hard it is to schedule a movie shoot via texting. :D

Hellvean Videos wrote:Thanks for all of the kind comments. I think it is pretty bad, in fact I hate it, but my next one is better. And you guys are right, it has no plot what so ever. The movie didn't really go as planned and it was kind of a last second thing. It's tough to really create a good plot and characters when you only have at maximum a 10 minute time frame, and your working with imature mono tone voiced actors. :( But hey, once the school year starts I should be able to make better movies with a wider selection of people to chose from. You wouldn't beleive how hard it is to schedule a movie shoot via texting. :D
Dude, I feel ya. Working with limited actors is a pain. I had to use my two brothers for my crappy light bulb video.

Right now I have access to actors but no good screenplay! D:

chee wrote:Dude, I feel ya. Working with limited actors is a pain. I had to use my two brothers for my crappy light bulb video.

Right now I have access to actors but no good screenplay! D:
Do you want me to write? I got screenplays, but no camera crew or actors...
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

chee wrote: Right now I have access to actors but no good screenplay! D:
I've made a couple of kick ass 3 minute movies before without writing a screenplay before hand.

Erik, sure, PM me if you're still interested. :)
Brendan M. wrote:
I've made a couple of kick ass 3 minute movies before without writing a screenplay before hand.
Same here, but they were all silly films. I'd like to do a serious short film with a screenplay. Sorta along the lines of Following and your short The Call.

chee wrote:Erik, sure, PM me if you're still interested. :)
Brendan M. wrote:
Same here, but they were all silly films. I'd like to do a serious short film with a screenplay. Sorta along the lines of Following and your short The Call.
Well thanks for including my film and Following in the same sentence. 8-)

But back to some suggestions, the first thing you should try and come up with is a beginning for a story and also an ending. Once you've already filmed the beginning of the movie, you know how its going to end so you can start making it up as you go along and figure out how it is you're going to get to that end point.

Also, most good filmmakers try and tell a story visually without relying too much on dialogue. Try and come up with some props you know you have access to that you think could serve some kind of significance to the story. Something simple like a photograph or a cellphone. In Following, some of the most important props that Nolan used were photos, a credit card, an earing, and a hammer. All these things were used through out the film and they all came together in the last scene to tie the story together.

Another great film that uses props as motifs is Oldboy. I strongly recommend seeing that film if you haven't already.